Palmateer

Coconut Growing Farthest From Equator

GottmitAlex
18 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

Probably better @Tyrone and @sandgroper give their first hand experiences, as I'm only a visitor ( and casual observer ) of Perth gardens. But the Perth region, being a Mediterranean climate, receives the majority of their rainfall in the winter months ( the cold gloomy wet chilly miserable winter months if you are a visitor from Darwin at 12*S of the equator....haha ). So the ground is wet and cold ( relatively ) during winter, which by general consensus is not particularly conducive to successful coconut growth. However, the notoriously barren and sandy Perth soils, which really are just about pure sand, means that during the colder wetter months of winter, the coconut root systems do not stand in water, therefor don't succumb to root rot. Perth ( or parts thereof away from the coast ) can get quite cold on winter nights, even occasional frosts, but winter days rarely dip below 10c ( 50f ) and generally hover around 17c-21c.
That was the long answer, short answer is 'Drainage in Winter'
Climate stats for Port Macquarie and Perth.
95608899_245888476613894_7803043360138067968_n.jpg.83b0889b4fee49dc052b233767008a02.jpg 94762083_565244711093744_1487093565375905792_n.jpg.80b80e52ffd88a403d5c0147108a63f6.jpg

Darn! I asked for a tad bit more info than what you previously mentioned. Not for the encyclopedia.  My hat's off to you mate. 

Alex:greenthumb:

• Like 1

greysrigging
1 minute ago, GottmitAlex said:

Darn! I asked for a tad bit more info than what you previously mentioned. Not for the encyclopedia.  My hat's off to you mate. 

Alex:greenthumb:

Haha... Coronavirus isolation=lots of spare time....:greenthumb:

• Like 1

sandgroper

Perth really is built on sand, hence the colloquialism of Western Australians being known as "sandgropers" in other parts of Australia. For those non Aussies, a sandgroper is as small creature common in Western Australia which borrows through the sand. Our soil really isn't soil, it is free draining sand, it is virtually beach sand as the Swan coastal plain, where Perth is located, was once part of the seafloor and river bed. It doesn't matter how much rain we get it drains straight through. All part of the fun!

• Like 3

kutsalangemon

I think coconut farthest issue mostly depends on how to plant the tree. If you plant coconut and enclose with concrete It may probably grow in Mediterranean climate since connection between roots and winter showers blocked by concrete.  It of course will not be like the trees in tropical climate areas and live shorter than average. There was smn in California in this forum already applied this method as far as I remember. 

Tyrone
17 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Probably better @Tyrone and @sandgroper give their first hand experiences, as I'm only a visitor ( and casual observer ) of Perth gardens. But the Perth region, being a Mediterranean climate, receives the majority of their rainfall in the winter months ( the cold gloomy wet chilly miserable winter months if you are a visitor from Darwin at 12*S of the equator....haha ). So the ground is wet and cold ( relatively ) during winter, which by general consensus is not particularly conducive to successful coconut growth. However, the notoriously barren and sandy Perth soils, which really are just about pure sand, means that during the colder wetter months of winter, the coconut root systems do not stand in water, therefor don't succumb to root rot. Perth ( or parts thereof away from the coast ) can get quite cold on winter nights, even occasional frosts, but winter days rarely dip below 10c ( 50f ) and generally hover around 17c-21c.
That was the long answer, short answer is 'Drainage in Winter'
Climate stats for Port Macquarie and Perth.
95608899_245888476613894_7803043360138067968_n.jpg.83b0889b4fee49dc052b233767008a02.jpg 94762083_565244711093744_1487093565375905792_n.jpg.80b80e52ffd88a403d5c0147108a63f6.jpg

Yes, that’s pretty much it. Perth rarely gets maximums in winter below 16C. But in winter Perth has about 3 times the rainfall of the east coast. Sydney winters can be sunnier and a bit drier in my experience. 

• Like 1