IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut Growing Farthest From Equator

Palmateer

Some have claimed the Newport Beach Coconut might be the farthest north in the ground with sustained growth, at around 33 degrees, 37 minutes latitude.

Please submit any other farthest from equator claims - be sure to include exact latitude position, north or south.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tom
Mid-Pinellas (St. Petersburg) Florida, USA

Member of Palm Society 1973-2012
Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum development 1977-1991
Chapter President 1983-84
Palm Society Director 1984-88

How far north are the Canary Islands? Bermuda? Others? How about south latitudes? Any Cocos on the north tip of New Zealand? South Africa? Southern Australia?

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Bermuda is 32 20 N.  Lots of coconuts growing well with no added care. I'd say the Canaries take the prize.  I wonder if the Azores would be able to grow coconuts. They are quite north, even further than the Canary Islands, but the average low temperatures are not that cold. What do you think?

Mike F

• Like 1

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

My belief is in South Africa, at around 34S. Can anyone in SA confirm this. Is Dennis still around on the forum, he'd know.

Canary Islands are around 28N. I'd doubt any on the Northern tip of NZ, and there are some coconuts growing around 32S in southern Oz, but definitely not further south, too wet and gloomy in winter.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hi Guys

Ty: I am still here sometimes!

Yes, there are some beauties at 33 S East London, and some ok plants in PE at 34 S, most at 34S look like the Newport beach Cocos. Here at 30S there are plenty! There are reports of some nice plants in Cape Town also at 34 S....I havent seen them however so I wouldnt put my head on the block!

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Hi Guys

Ty: I am still here sometimes!

Yes, there are some beauties at 33 S East London, and some ok plants in PE at 34 S, most at 34S look like the Newport beach Cocos. Here at 30S there are plenty! There are reports of some nice plants in Cape Town also at 34 S....I havent seen them however so I wouldnt put my head on the block!

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Hello Dennis from the other side of the Indian Ocean!!! (Don't you just love this worldwide forum thing) It's great to hear from you.

I thought that you once said some were growing at Port Elizabeth around 34S. In the west of Oz 34S is around Cape Leeuwin, and expecting a coconut to grow there is like expecting to see a pig fly. Real cold and blowy where the Southern ocean meets the Indian.

Now all we need to do is check the exact lat long of Port Elizabeth to see if it's further away from the equator than Newport Beach.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hi Ty

Ja this internet thing is great! PE is exactly 33° 59' S     25° 36' E so you could say 34S without much of a problem. There are some in PE, I was reffering to Cape town.....there I have only heard stories!

Cheers

D

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

PE stats

The figures below are : Highest recorded, Average daily Max, Average daily Min, Lowest temp recorded. The rest of the figures are rainfall.

January        39  25  18  10  36  9  68  

February      38  25  18  11  40  9  121  

March           41  25  17  8  54  10  224  

April             39  23  14  4  58  9  105  

May             35  22  12  2  59  9  76  

June            32  20  9  -1  62  8  60  

July             33  20  9  -1  47  8  99  

August       34  20  10  2  64  10  77  

September 39  20  11  2  62  9  429  

October      39  21  13  3  59  11  46  

November  36  22  15  6  49  11  52  

December   36  24  16  9  34  9  95  

Year             41  22  14  -1  624  112  429

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

(PalmsZA @ Dec. 19 2007,04:52)

PE stats

The figures below are : Highest recorded, Average daily Max, Average daily Min, Lowest temp recorded. The rest of the figures are rainfall.

January        39  25  18  10  36  9  68  

February      38  25  18  11  40  9  121  

March           41  25  17  8  54  10  224  

April             39  23  14  4  58  9  105  

May             35  22  12  2  59  9  76  

June            32  20  9  -1  62  8  60  

July             33  20  9  -1  47  8  99  

August       34  20  10  2  64  10  77  

September 39  20  11  2  62  9  429  

October      39  21  13  3  59  11  46  

November  36  22  15  6  49  11  52  

December   36  24  16  9  34  9  95  

Year             41  22  14  -1  624  112  429

Looking at that Perth is a tad cooler than PE in winter but considerably hotter in summer with more rainfall. That would be because of the warmer ocean currents keeping the winter temps up a bit, but providing some cooling humidity in summer in PE. From all this data it would appear that to grow a Cocos you need at least a 20C average in the coolest months, but keeping the soil dry in winter. I will try to emulate that type of microclimate with my Cocos attempt.

regards

Tyrone

I posted this in the Newport coconut post so I am copying it to here;

Cocoa Beach and St. Petersburg most likely are the furthest north in FL that coconuts have survived long term (post 12/89 freeze survivors). Since then they have been planted  north and inland (Orlando,Daytona Beach) but none survived the 12/89 freeze.

How far north in Africa along the coasts do coconuts grow?

Arabia/Persian Gulf region?

what about India and China?

and how far north and south in Pacific Islands like Midway or Norfolk Island?

Also, do coconuts grow in the Azores?

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

In the Original post Eric is referring to I mentioned pictures of large mature coconuts on a Grecian Island.I believe Michael from Greece has extensive information.Is it possible that coconuts can be sucessfully grown in that area,which is 36 to37 degrees latitude.This is the International Network at it's best!

What you look for is what is looking

Dubai has coconuts, I've seen pics of large ones, not sure of lat though.

regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,Latitude of Dubai is 25/11.I think you were watching the same golf tournament I was!

Man-made sand coconuts dont count!  Man-made sand phoenix palms...maybe.

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

(Palm Guy @ Dec. 19 2007,00:31)

Bermuda is 32 20 N.  Lots of coconuts growing well with no added care. I'd say the Canaries take the prize.  I wonder if the Azores would be able to grow coconuts. They are quite north, even further than the Canary Islands, but the average low temperatures are not that cold. What do you think?

Mike F

I've seen a picture of Funchal's harbor with quite large trunking coconuts growing along the waterfront. Funchal is at 32° 37' 60 N.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

(Tyrone @ Dec. 19 2007,04:35)

Hello Dennis from the other side of the Indian Ocean!!! (Don't you just love this worldwide forum thing) It's great to hear from you.

I thought that you once said some were growing at Port Elizabeth around 34S. In the west of Oz 34S is around Cape Leeuwin, and expecting a coconut to grow there is like expecting to see a pig fly. Real cold and blowy where the Southern ocean meets the Indian.

Now all we need to do is check the exact lat long of Port Elizabeth to see if it's further away from the equator than Newport Beach.

Best regards

Tyrone

Port Elizabeth, South Africa: 33°57′29″S 25°36′00″E

Newport Beach, California: 33°37′0″N 117°53′51″W

Port Elizabeth Wins!

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

The New Port Beach coconut is prima facie evidence that coconuts,while stunted,grow in California.Can you provide evidence of the Port Elizabeth coconut?I still would like to hear from Greece.

Here is a pic of the Perth one from a couple of yrs ago. It's still going fine now. It's been planted in poor old Perth beach sand.

P1030823.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here's my new coconut when I first planted it a month ago.

P4300762.jpg

And today

P6030874.jpg

regards

Tyrone

Kew gardens 51N , produces coconuts every year.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Nigel,Good one!I do not think the New Port Beach plaque qualifies in door or outdoor!

(Nigel @ Dec. 21 2007,04:37)

Kew gardens 51N , produces coconuts every year.

Nigel,

Kew gardens do it's still there? I have read that it was remove, because he was too big for the greenhouse?

Robbin

Southwest

(bubba @ Dec. 20 2007,09:19)

I still would like to hear from Greece.

That is certainly a very good question.

I can tell you 100% that a coconut seedling that is purchased from a supermarket in Northern Europe  ( simular in size and early cultural conditions as the ones everyone tries to grow in California ) WILL NOT GROW IN GREECE.  They burn in the hot sun, manage to throw out a couple of leaves, and later perish in the winter rains. Usually gone by Christmas.

I can't tell you 100% that bringing a boatload of mature coconut trees in and setting them up on an island close to the sea would not lead to a couple of palms surviving.

I also wouldn't rule out the chances 100% of a 5 year old cocunut palm brought in from the Canaries ( which I do plan on trying next time I can get over there ) if placed in just the right location.  added some of the techniques from Tiajuana / Del Mar would certainly increase it's chances.

Factor in the fact that this is the warmest part of Greece. Water temps in an optimum location bottom out at 22 degrees in the winter - much warmer than the water across the street from the Newport Beach location.

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

Also Bubba.

Further to the Onassis' question:

Onassis private island is called Skorpios. It is located in Northwest Greece, South of Patras. The lattitude is 38 degrees, USDA 10a, winter water temps as high as maybe 17. Those temps are still warmer than the water across the street from the Newport Beach coconut.

Onassis spent 5 years with a large crew building his island paradise. He had unlimited resources - BILLIONS of dollars, a shipping empire, hell even an international airline - which by the way, is the only domestic service to function within a nation composed largely of islands ( the standard joke in Greece is that passenger planes often land on islands with nothing more than a crew and a shipment of Athens newspapers ).

Bringing 100 or 200 coconut trees to turn his island retreat into a miniature Jamaica would have been no problem for this man. Repeating the process every year would also not be a problem.

One further note, pictures of the island I have located via google show little sign of any palm other than what appears to be a standard mature edible date palm - readily avaialable, 150% hardy and cheap as hell. Perhaps pictures exist of a Coconut-lined beach, but I haven't seen one.

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

Maurice, Thank you for your reply and it sounds like a perfect microclimate you have in Greece to grow a coconut palm at a world record Latitude.The picture I saw of the coconuts on his Island were definitely on the beach.Good luck and please let us know your results.

I thought I had psoted on this thread, but possibly it was the Newport Beach coconut thread, about coconuts growing at about 35 deg S. latitude at the north of New Zealand.  Apparently coconuts drift southward from the tropics on ocean currents and wash onto a few northern N.Z. beaches.  At one place a few years ago there were discovered a couple on a remote beach which had sprouted and been alive long enough even to form some trunk, even though very stunted.

I believe it was in the IPS journal, Palms, that a picture or two were shown, or perhaps it was on this message board.  Anyone recall?  Any other southern hemisphere contenders for the furthest south record?

garrin in hawaii

I know about a coconut that was technically growing in NZ but it was on the Kermadec Islands which is at 29S and right in the middle of the subtropics. But I'd like to know of any growing on mainland NZ. Anyone know about it?

regards

Tyrone

I was perhaps recalling the Kermedec coconut and just remembering New Zealand connected with it.  I think the photos with article could have distracted my mind from the details.  If anyone knows for certain please correct me.

garrin in hawaii

• 6 months later...

I think what makes the climate of Port Elizabeth and the East Coast of South Africa in general special for its southerly latitude is a) the warm Agulhas Current brings warm waters down the coast out of the tropics and B) mountains near to and parallel with the coast exclude cold air from the interior. In addition Southern Hemisphere climates tend to be more oceanic than those in the north due to there being so much more ocean in the South.

post-862-1216256404_thumb.jpg

Ed, You are in Cape Town,where Dennis referred to nice Coconut specimens growing at 34S.Could you confirm?I have a relative in Spain working on them at 36N.We all would like to hear from Maurice in the Grecian Islands at 37N.Maurice.....

I haven't heard of any coconuts growing in NZ, I believe it gets to cold in the winter. At most they would only survive one summer before slowly surcoming to death by cold. I think the palm Garrin was referring to was the stunted, yet growing coconut palm on Raoul Island, part of the Kermadec group, technically part of New Zealand, but quite a while away. I believe the palm has since died, and the photo was salvaged from an old post on this forum.

Regards,

Nathan

post-915-1216261052_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nelson, NEW ZEALAND

Sheltered micro-climate

Min -2C, Max 34C

Latitude 41 Degrees South

Warm temperate climate, with over 2500 hours of sunshine per year.

I believe that if I lived in Sydney and had the right microclimate I would be able to grow a coconut palm. Sydney is 34 degrees South. How long it would grow is another thing. So size does matter.

Mine is well over 30 feet and Iam at 31.25 south. I know of two which are south of me but still in the Port Macquarie district and only afew feet of trunk. Of course just north of me at Southwest Rocks, about 2hours drive, two coconuts palms are much older and look very healthy.

I would like to see one farther south and larger than mine. Anyone know of any?

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Ed, You are in Cape Town,where Dennis referred to nice Coconut specimens growing at 34S.Could you confirm?I have a relative in Spain working on them at 36N.We all would like to hear from Maurice in the Grecian Islands at 37N.Maurice.....

Hi, I am in Cape Town, but I've never seen a coconut growing here and would rather doubt they could. I just think the climate is too cool and wet in winter. It is cooler and wetter in the coldest months than San Diego. Cape Town has an average low/high for the coldest month of 7/17C (45/63 F) and 16/26C (61/79 F) for the warmest month. San Diego is 9/18C (48/64 F) for the coldest month and 20/24 (68/75 F) for the warmest month. Cape Town is also wetter in winter, receiving 83 mm or 3.3 inches in the coldest month, while San Diego receives 58 mm or 2.3 inches.

Cape Town is actually a fraction further North than Port Elizabeth but the climate is rather different. At Port Elizabeth the warm Agulhas current brings waters from the Mozambique Channel and that warm the climate and causes a climate without any real dry season (its wetter in winter than summer, but the summer rainfall is more than half of the winter rainfall). Further west towards Cape Town the Agulhas Current meets cold waters from Antarctica and the climate transitions into a Mediterranean type one with cooler, wet winters and dry summers. The same cold currents make the whole West coast of Southern Africa as far north as Angola rather arid and creates the Namib Desert.

If we are looking for high latitude coconuts, perhaps the Atlantic coast of South America would be a good place to look. I seem to think a humid tropical/subtropical climate extends into higher latitudes than one may expect there too. I think you can eliminate the Pacific coast of South America as that is well known for being cooled by Antarctic currents. 34N cuts through the coast of China well north of Shanghai, where the average low/high for the coldest month is 1/8 C (34/46 F) so that can certainly be ruled out. We've heard from Australia, so for continental coastlines that just leaves North Africa and the Mediterranean area. However even at Alexandria in Egypt (31°11′N) averages for the coldest month are no higher than San Diego, though summer is hotter.

post-862-1216300661_thumb.jpg

I saw one growing in San Clemente, CA yesterday. It's been there for a few years.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Is San Clemente North of Newport.I don't think it is.Could you take some pictures?

Is San Clemente North of Newport.I don't think it is.Could you take some pictures?

sAN cLEMENTE IS SOUTH . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I think the most likely suspects to challenge Newport or Port Elizabeth(the record holder at just under 34)are Southern Andalucia Spain,(ie 36)Greek Islands(ie36-38)or possibly Austalia around Sydney or South of Perth(ie 34)So the record for established Coconuts remains Newport in the Northern Hemishere(33/37N)and Port Elizabeth/SA in the South(33/57)Show me your Coconuts!

Well it's not competition for those palms over 30º but when we lived in Mymensingh, Bangladesh, at 25ºN, there were coconuts everywhere that produced lots of coconuts. It seemed strange to see them because it was not a coastal location and they somehow seemed out of place. But they were beautiful. And Mymensingh is practically on the same latitude as where I live in Texas, and there aren't any coconuts around Wharton County....

• Like 1

Gulf Coast of Texas where it never freezes, unless it freezes