IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some trivia.

cfkingfish

Here is something I came up with, and believe I have the answer.

What country has the greatest number of genera endemic to its borders?

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Thialand?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Genera of what?

Palms?

Hmm.

If so, Sou-Ha-Merica?

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

That's a continent not a country, Dave.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

No right answers yet....:)

South America.....haha. I hope you keed!

Remember endemic genera, meaning the genus only occurs in that country and no where else.

Christian Faulkner

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Ecuador ?

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I've always assumed that as far as palms went, it had to be Madagascar. Even with all the deforestation going on, sometimes it seems that only half of what's there has yet been named....

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

The richest temperate flora is in China.  The Cape region of South Africa is probably very rich at the genus level.

Here's a link to an interesting map of global plant species biodiversity.  I think it shows the tropics pretty well--but I bet Southeast Asia is underappreciated.  The Brazilian Atlantic Coastal Forest really shows up.  Except it was mostly destroyed--see "With Broadax and Firebrand: The Destruction of the Brazilian Atlantic Forest" by Warren Dean

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

(cfkingfish @ Aug. 21 2006,11:25)

No right answers yet....:)

South America.....haha. I hope you keed!

Remember endemic genera, meaning the genus only occurs in that country and no where else.

R U talking palms only here ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Sorry....I am talking palms only. Even though this is a palm forum, I guess that should be stressed. Madagascar only has Masoala, Marojejya, Satranala, Voanioala, Becarriophoenix, and Ravenea. That probably makes it second for endemic genera, possibly a tie with the Seychelles.

Christian Faulkner

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Australia has at least 7 that I can think of.  Oraniopsis, Wodyetia, Normanbya, Howea, Hedyscepe, Lepidorrhachis and Carpentaria.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

How about New Caledonia? Must be at least a dozen there!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(cfkingfish @ Aug. 20 2006,23:54)

Sorry....I am talking palms only. Even though this is a palm forum, I guess that should be stressed. Madagascar only has Masoala, Marojejya, Satranala, Voanioala, Becarriophoenix, and Ravenea. That probably makes it second for endemic genera, possibly a tie with the Seychelles.

Lemurophoenix as well Christian.

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

(Zac in NC @ Aug. 21 2006,20:08)

Dypsis !!!!!!!!!!

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Since Brazil is the largest tropical country in the world and the land area spans diverse tropical and subtropical climate zones I imagine that it ranks up there as a place with the most diversity.  But, I have no idea where it ranks in comparison with other countries of the world.  Maybe Gileno has a better idea of this.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

(tim_brissy_13 @ Aug. 21 2006,16:52)

Australia has at least 7 that I can think of.  Oraniopsis, Wodyetia, Normanbya, Howea, Hedyscepe, Lepidorrhachis and Carpentaria.

You didn't say all species within the genera, so here's some more for Aus:

Archontophoenix, Livistona, Arenga, Calamus, Linospadix, Laccospadix, Caryota, Licuala, Ptychosperma, Rhopalostylis , Corypha, Hydriastele, Gulubia and last but not least, I claim for Australia just to put all your minds at rest, Cocos. If MG was here he'd get them all.

Anyway, for the original poser I nominate Malaysia.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Zac in NC @ Aug. 21 2006,06:08)

Ah, the Lemur is elusive! And Dypsis is not endemic to Madagascar thanks to Dypsis pembana, a native of Tanzania.  Someone was very close, but they named a territory of a country, not the country itself. If I am correct, there are 10 endemic genera to this country.

Christian Faulkner

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Christian,

If you're referring to New Caledonia, then of course it's an overseas territory of France...

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo is right from what I can figure out.

Cyphokentia, Brogniartikentia, Chambeyronia, Moratia, Bassellinia, Kentiopsis, Pritchardiopsis, Veillonia, Campecarpus and Actinokentia are all endemic genera to New Caledonia, a territory of France. No species within these genera are native to any other land. There will be a referendum in 2014 on whether NC stays a French territory, however.

Christian Faulkner

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

That's interesting Christian...

I knew it was not Brazil...I guess that our only endemic genera are Allagoptera, Barcella, Lytocaryum and the former Polyandrococos, maybe Desmoncus...all the other 40+ native palm genera we share along the borders (Raphia and Elaeis across the ocean !).

In terms of quantity and native species diversity we are hard to beat though...265 native species of palms, and counting...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

The big problem for tropical America is that political boundaries slice across plant distributions.  

USA: Serenoa, Rhapidophyllum (which is pretty similar to Trachycarpus, apparently)

Cuba:  none

Mexico:  Brahea is almost but not entirely Mexican.  Beside, it's very similar to Serenoa.  

There's gotta be at least one or two genera endemic to the Atlantic Coastal Forest--I nominate Polyandrococos caudescens--the only species in its genus.

Let's change this to species endemic by genera. Then my aussie one can be accepted.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Oh,. seenyour keengfeesh, I was just keeding about Sou-hamerica . . . .

:)

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

You have a good Spanish accent Dave.  You could substitute Meester from seenyor maybe.  Portuguese is a different matter though.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

(amazondk @ Aug. 21 2006,18:59)

You have a good Spanish accent Dave.  You could substitute Meester from seenyor maybe.  Portuguese is a different matter though.

dk

Thanks!

How about laying it on me in a Brasilian accent . . . .

dave

La Nouvelle-Calédonie rules!!!

Biodiversité

La Nouvelle-Calédonie se distingue notamment par une biodiversité d'une étonnante richesse et originalité. Le taux d'endémicité est le plus élevé au monde.

Plantes : 5 familles, 107 genres et 2425 espèces endémiques,

Reptiles (geckos et scinques) : 12 genres, 61 espèces endémiques

Oiseaux : 1 famille, 3 genres, 23 espèces endémiques (liste des oiseaux calédoniens) dont le cagou, emblème du Territoire.

. . .  Mais de nombreux secteurs demeurent encore inexplorés, ce qui laisse à penser que la biodiversité est bien plus élevée encore.

Wikepedia

Derek, the US actually has only 2 endemic genera - Rhapidophyllum and Serenoa.

I forgot to add that Lavoixia is also an endemic genus, making for 11 endemic genera to France (New Caledonia).

Christian Faulkner

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Palmiers (New Caledonia)

La famille compte en NC 38 espèces, dont 37 sont endémiques.

17 genres autochtones dont 15 sont endémiques.

38 espèces autochtones dont 37 endémiques.

Le seul palmier non endémique est le cocotier (Cocos nucifera).

Le seul genre non endémique est Cyphosperma (1 seule espèce, endémique).

Le genre Basselinia (11 espèces) est le plus fourni, suivi de Burretiokentia (5 espèces) et Kentiopsis (4 espèces). 4 genres n'ont que 2 espèces et 8 n'en ont qu'une seule.

PARTICULARITE : "Composition et caractérisation de la flore indigène de Nouvelle-Calédonie" IRD (voir blibliographie).

http://www.endemia.nc/plante/

Dave,

Maybe it could be like a Carioca from Rio, "Ok, Kingeefeesh Broder, ah wasa jasta keejing abauche Sauche America."

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I was always under the impression that New Caledonia was the most diverse in terms of endemic species.  Whatever it is likely to be an Island, because there is nothing to stop plants spreading across borders otherwise.  I thought Madagascar was second to NC and assumed third would either be Oz or another Indian Ocean Island.  Anywhere from Seychelles to Borneo and even down to PNG must be fairly diverse in terms of endemic species, palms or otherwise.  Oz and Madagascar have the advantage of being fairly large Islands with a range of climates, but somewhere like the Seychelles have the advantage of not being very near to any other  land masses.

I'm assuming however that this is a trick question and it is an answer like France, based on Islands which are principalities of another nation.  So being from the UK, I may as well vote for the UK, as we have territories and colonies all over the globe.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Corey,

So being from the UK, I may as well vote for the UK, as we have territories and colonies all over the globe.

I thought that was in the 19th century! :D

Bo-Göran

There are still quite a few left, although most of the former colonies have obviously gained their independence now.  I can't believe that many of the former colonies still have our Queen as their head of state, why?

Even with our remaining colonies, the UK is a somewhat unlikely bet due to their locations.  I don't think there are many palm genera endemic to the Falkland Islands, for example.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(amazondk @ Aug. 22 2006,07:00)

Dave,

Maybe it could be like a Carioca from Rio, "Ok, Kingeefeesh Broder, ah wasa jasta keejing abauche Sauche America."

dk

Sounds a bit like JarJar Binks . . . . .

:P :P

Only keejing!   :D

dave

Corey,

No, and not even in a tropical place like the Cayman Islands! Went there once on vacation when we lived in S. Florida. Very relaxing. So relaxing in fact that it took me two full days after I got back home before I felt like doing any work again....

Bo-Göran

(Neofolis @ Aug. 22 2006,14:26)

former colonies still have our Queen as their head of state

Wow, Corey, talking about colonies, I was thinking that UK had decided to take Bush II as the head of the state now (and also the head of the government)  :P

Forgive me for this chance to tease you...back to native Palms, let's drink from the fountain:

Martius, palm distribution worldwide:

post-157-1156273813_thumb.jpg

The other side:

post-157-1156273892_thumb.jpg