IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bad 'Hoods in Florida

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

I'm going to be a totally dorky tourist, and, as ever, I know there's some bad 'hoods in Florida.  Just like California!  

I hear Opa Locka's, well, rowdy, but gonna get a pic of their City Hall.

So, tell me where they are (streets, city, etc.) and say, specifically why.  

That way, I can avoid them.  Or not.

But at least know where they are.

Anyone?

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Riviera Beach after sunset :o  :o  :o   Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Okay, Rive Beach sucks . . .

WHY????

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Well, let's see.  I've seen car chases with guns involved in the middle of the day.  The fire stations get more than 1 call per hour for gun shots and stabbings and overdoses.  Crack heads, homeless people, and slums pretty much cover most of the town.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

(palmmermaid @ Dec. 12 2007,08:50)

Well, let's see.  I've seen car chases with guns involved in the middle of the day.  The fire stations get more than 1 call per hour for gun shots and stabbings and overdoses.  Crack heads, homeless people, and slums pretty much cover most of the town.

:P Ahhhhhhhhhh, the good life,down in the sun!! :P

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

The proper pronounciation of Riveria is ra-vear-ah.This was originally a Bahamian mainstay and historically "smuggling"was the key industry. Alot of ciss-cross between the Abaco's and the mainland.At first it was rum and it's evolution over the years has followed the taste of it's customers.

What you look for is what is looking

Pine Hills, due west of Orlando. Still, if you want to see the largest Royals around...

Metro West, north of Universal Studios, is a classy neighborhood but lately has been the victim of some high profile muggings.

Make sure you drive, not walk, to those places then you should be OK.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Based on what my florida friends say:

Goulds

Liberty City

Leisure City

Pork and Beans

Miami in general

Stick to the coast and you'll be fine :)

Ah, yes.  Liberty City.  City yes, liberty, 'pends on who you ask.

Hmm.  "Pork and Beans"?  I'm frankly intrigued.

Up to a point.

Tell me more.  Facts, please.

Thanks for the facts on Riv beach

(Dave from So-Cal @ Dec. 12 2007,08:46)

WHY????

Went fishing out of Riviera Beach 2 years ago.  At 4:00 am, before we went out, at a gas station on the strip we were offered some meth (for sale, of course) by some friendly teenagers in UofM (Miami) basketball jerseys , which we declined.

At the second traffic light after the gas station we were solicited by 3 young ladies (at least I think they were ladies) employed in the oldest profession.  We were towing a 30ft boat, so maybe the thought we'd take them out fishing with us?

We parked in the most exposed area of the public boat ramp.  When we got back from fishing we found the truck had been broken into.  They even took the 6"x6" block of wood we used for the jack.

The did not take the B-52s cd that they left on the drivers seat, but unfortunately we couldn't listen to "Rock Lobster" 'cause the stereo had been liberated.

I hear its much nicer on the other side of the intercoastal.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

(tank @ Dec. 12 2007,09:52)

(Dave from So-Cal @ Dec. 12 2007,08:46)

WHY????

Went fishing out of Riviera Beach 2 years ago.  At 4:00 am, before we went out, at a gas station on the strip we were offered some meth (for sale, of course) by some friendly teenagers in UofM (Miami) basketball jerseys , which we declined.

At the second traffic light after the gas station we were solicited by 3 young ladies (at least I think they were ladies) employed in the oldest profession.  We were towing a 30ft boat, so maybe the thought we'd take them out fishing with us?

We parked in the most exposed area of the public boat ramp.  When we got back from fishing we found the truck had been broken into.  They even took the 6"x6" block of wood we used for the jack.

The did not take the B-52s cd that they left on the drivers seat, but unfortunately we couldn't listen to "Rock Lobster" 'cause the stereo had been liberated.

I hear its much nicer on the other side of the intercoastal.

Yowza!

Okay.

I axe for fax, I git's 'em . . .

dave

In Dade and Broward Counties, I-95 was constructed after the cities were developed.  When they bought the land for the highway, they picked the cheapest neighborhoods.  Consequently, much of the bad areas are right around I-95.  This is not necessarily true in all cases, but is pretty reliable.  You are not likely to be on foot in any of these areas anyway.

In Broward County, be wary of western Ft Lauderdale and Pompano Beach.  Central Broward, Along Broward Blvd, Sunrise Blvd and US 441 are very "colorful" areas, but a tourist is not likely to spend much time there.

Geraldo

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

(palmmermaid @ Dec. 12 2007,08:25)

Riviera Beach at any time!

Agreed.

However the list is nearly endless coming down the state.

Parts of....

Fort Pierce

Stuart

West Palm Beach

Ft. Lauderdale

Miami

and every big town in between.

Thing is there are many wonderful parts of all these areas as well, just don't make a wrong turn.

And while is not be a politically correct thing to say, if you find yourself on a road named after (you will have to guess this part) you are in the wrong section of town.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

In the Orlando area;

Pine Hills, known locally as Crime Hills, a few miles west/NW of downtown

Parramore, just on the west side of I-4 in downtown

the South Orange Blossom Trail (441) area, from roughly the East/West toll Expressway (SR408) to Sand Lake Road and west of there

Tangelo Park

Poinciana

south side of Apopka

parts of Sanford

other than being named the 11th most dangerous city in America (ranked higher than Miami) its a great place!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I used to like the OBT for all of its strip joints.  You get the idea of the neighborhood.

Alas Dave, I think all of these threads belong in the Ohana Nui forum.

Jerkymiah

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Disney.

That mouse will rob you blind in broad daylight.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

(Jerry@TreeZoo @ Dec. 12 2007,12:11)

Geraldo,

Alas I would guess that depends on WHO he knows, and HOW well he is connected! :;):  :D

Dave have fun on your Florida vacation! :cool:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Scott,

Do I infer that Dave is a member of the Coco Nostra Crime Family?

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Jerry,

I wouldn't want you to infer anything from my statement!

That being said I don't think the Coco Nostra Crime Family is based in California!

And I do beleive that this is a California based organization. They couldn't be the Coco Nostra Crime Family because as far as I know, they only have two inground specimens of Coconuts in cali,  that poor guy in Newport in a crack in the sidewalk,and that one in San Diego on the beach,tucked up in an alcove of a building. :D

No I think the organization you might have been referring to would be the DYPSIS MAFIA !

Rumour has it they as definately Cali based! :laugh:

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Wow!

Your making Fla. sound awfully bad, but usually one has a "destination" in mind so these areas shouldn't be a problem if your driving through. It doesn't take a rocket scientiest to size up a neighborhood.

BUT......A few years ago, I was visiting in Miami and we decided we would drive to downtown Miami after dinner....It was dark. Paul Drummond was sitting in the back seat, and back seat driving as usual, and there were a couple of others, I don't remember who.

We were on Biscane Blv., hy #1, the main draig through downtown Miami with beautiful buildings and Royal palms. Finally, we had seen enough and I made a turn to get back home. I made the wrong turn, and 2 blocks off Biscane Blv., it looked like we had driven into hell. It was the worst slum I had ever seen, people hanging out on street corners, staggering across the street, walking towards our car, and down right scary.

Paul started yelling, "Get us out of here, Get us out of here!" I hit the gas, ran a red light, dodged two drunks, made a couple of turns and ended up in a blind alley. Tires screatching, I backed out, and got the hell out of there as fast as I could. Several blocks down Biscane Blv., headed south, our hearts finally quit racing.

Now, that's the only bad experience I've had in Fla. For the most part it's beautiful and most home gardens in the ritzy areas look like botanical gardens. Parts of Coconut Grove, South Miami and Coral Gables makes one swoon, but there are neighborhoods to stay away from. The biggest hazard you will have in S. Fla. are the drivers, lots of latin blood and high powered automobiles, not to mention the old codgers who drive in the left lane at 30 MPH.

Dick

Richard Douglas

(bubba @ Dec. 12 2007,17:24)

That,my friend, is a great story!

And true...

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jerry@TreeZoo @ Dec. 12 2007,12:11)

I used to like the OBT for all of its strip joints.  You get the idea of the neighborhood.

Jerkymiah

Jerry--

Gotta work on your strip joint preferences. Nothing in Orange or Seminole Cos. worth seeing. Bible thumpers and Disney Dollars have ruined all of 'em. Only thing on OBT nowadays is standing on the corners (or leaning against the newly-planted Sabals in tree wells.) (Note palm reference...)

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

(Eric in Orlando @ Dec. 12 2007,11:20)

parts of Sanford

Eric--

You forgot the key word: MOST...

Also don't forget Lee Rd west (north??) of I-4. I often stay at Motel 6 there. Was there last year when a body "found" in the middle of the road around 11 pm one night. Neighborhood's gone downhill recently; even my regular bar (Duke's) closed down...

But there is a nice-sized spindle palm on the south side of the road across from Duke's. (See, it's got some palm stuff here...)

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Dave: You'll be fine. Especially if you have a rental to "hit the pedal to metal", if necessary.  

A couple of musts to visit when you are in South FLA, besides Fairchild, are the Everglades (Paurotis Palms and others in habitat)--WOW!! and a palm filled drive down to Key West.  Hopefully all on separate days.

Enjoy! :cool:

Steve

Growing lots of palms (indoors and outdoors) in a climate which gets cold (below freezing in winter).

For SW Florida, it is more about parts of cities than entire towns...as we are less populated. Here are some areas:

Newtown, North Sarasota (north of downtown)

Golden Gate (near Naples)

North Fort Myers

The funny thing is the NW quadrants of many cities in Florida are the shady areas (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Sarasota). Nice and dangerous areas are often side by side and misleading as well.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

(Ken Johnson @ Dec. 12 2007,18:36)

Shoot...they found another body in the middle of the road in Goulds TODAY.

I hear the houses in the area all have Dypis palms in the front yard (lutesens that is).

Seen Washingtonias in El Sereno, Highland Park areas in LA Co, CA with bullets embedded in trunks.

Dypsis lutescens aren't nearly as good at protecting one from drive-by flak as royals are, though I suppose they offer a better excuse when the neighbors say "I didn't see anything..."

Dave should feel right at home...

_____

During the years that I lived in South Florida.  Which I suppose was about 10 I always lived in Ft. Lauderdale and for most of the time worked near MIA airport, mostly airport west in the Doral area.  That is from 1980 to 2000.  I did work for a while in Opa Locka, which was an experience in itself.  From time to time I would experiment with alternative routes to 826 and I 95.  That would take me through Hialeah and Liberty City.  The Liberty City portion of the trip was always an adventure.  When I moved from São Paulo back to South Florida I often ventured into the dicier areas of South Florida just to see what was there.  After surviving 6 years in São Paulo almost anywhere seemed calm.  I occaisionally went to the Caribbean clubs along 441 in Broward which are interesting.  But, then since I live in what most would consider a Brazilian slum I guess it is all a relative.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Tampa's Suitcase City

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(fastfeat @ Dec. 12 2007,18:20)

(Eric in Orlando @ Dec. 12 2007,11:20)

parts of Sanford

Eric--

You forgot the key word: MOST...

Also don't forget Lee Rd west (north??) of I-4. I often stay at Motel 6 there. Was there last year when a body "found" in the middle of the road around 11 pm one night. Neighborhood's gone downhill recently; even my regular bar (Duke's) closed down...

But there is a nice-sized spindle palm on the south side of the road across from Duke's. (See, it's got some palm stuff here...)

Ken

I live not too far from Lee Rd. It seems the last year the law has kind off cleaned up that area. For awhile there was lots of crime; murders, robberies prostitution, etc. but it has quieted down. The neighborhoods aren't really bad but after a few of those hotels went to weekly rentals then it drew in some bad seeds along there. And that dude they found killed had just got out of prison and had like 7 or 8 kids by 6 or 7 women so not the most upstanding citizen of the area. BTW a new joint is openeing up where Dukes was. That place has a curse. Until the late 80's it was a Showtime pizza then any number of bars/clubs since. None seems to last more than 2-3 years but another always opens up. That place next door, Del Friscos is a very expensive and highly rated steakhouse, I've seen it voted as one of the best in the US.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

The demarcation of neighborhoods is strange. When I first moved to San Francisco I lived in a Victorian on a hill, but you only had to walk 5 blocks for the best Bar-B-Q in town, and one of the most dangerous areas in town. I always made sure I had someone walking with me to pick up the Bar-B-Q. Two of the infamous Zodiac serial killer's victums were knocked off in that area, and at that time. I was always looking over my sholder.

Dick

Richard Douglas

First off, we are a strange bunch to be having this conversation...  

That being said:  I'm gonna have to echo Don K.'s comments about the clubs in Lauderdale's Little Jamaica.  Those girls can shake their backsides way more than any white girl I ever saw!  :P  To bad they shut down the "Carribean Connection" over there on 31st just south of Broward...  Marijuana smuggling front apparently...  Who would have guessed?!  ???

Other thing I want to echo is how strange it is in FL how the hood can be right across the street from a very prominent neighborhood...  In the little town I was born in  There was a bad section of town and a good section...  There was a consistant gradation between the two...  Maybe I just have that in my mind for comparison, but I tend to think most places are like that, except for SoFLa of course...  We aren't like anywhere else. :cool:

Coconut Grove Florida is probably one of the most desirable places to live on earth. I know, I used to live there.....but I was in my 20's too. But now there is a bad patch there. If you walk 2 blocks in the wrong direction, you could be in trouble, and if not in trouble, you are surely made to feel you are not welcome.

With that said, I'm finished with this thread. Where I live in Walnut Creek, we have had only had two homocides this year, and they were both drug and gang related and people that came from other areas. I can call the cops and they will be here in two or three minutes.  Of course the Mayor lives at the end of the street. :)

Dick

Richard Douglas

WOw,

Are there any save places in Florida? I was thinking that the Netherlands has some criminal places in the country... Maybe i come in the new schoolyear for 10 weeks too Florida....

Robbin

Southwest

nyah! thanks everyone for your input!

Don Dave of the Cocos Nostra . . . .

(Dave from So-Cal @ Dec. 13 2007,13:00)

Don Dave of the Cocos Nostra . . . .

Don Dave,

I guess you weren't that well connected?

Your thread has been WHACKED to the OHANA NUI  forum!!! :laugh:

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD