IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Global Warming Test

Cycadcenter

(Nigel @ Dec. 20 2007,09:17)

One most alarming thing I have learned is just how bad the american media is at relaying whats happening, the articles posted in this thread alone show a completely corrupted ,biased and unbalanced nature that is deeply disturbing.

One only has to compare the Washington Post hacks article with the Metoffice article (which is completely unbiased and factual) to see what I mean.

Its hardly surprising that so many americans believe Global warming is a lie based on that kind of article.

Deeply deeply disturbing.

Nigel,

I am not sure ANYTHING ever written is 100 percent unbiased and factual!

I believe that earth is getting warmer RIGHT now,whether it is caused by man, or naturally cyclical ,for me the jury is still out!

One only has took look at what these  SAME scientists  were saying in the early 70's.They were saying we were in a cooling off period, headed for a MINI ICE AGE!

What in your mind convinces you that they are 100 percent CORRECT this time ,when they were  completely WRONG 35 years ago??

Just curious?  :)

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

• 2 months later...

I thought that this article about the founder of the Weather Channel was interesting.  

Weather Channel Founder on Global Warming

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Don...that link is Fox News...how dare you.

I find myself conserving more than I used to. I even recycle now. But, I'm a nonbeliever in manmade global warming.

As for those that are certain that man is the cause, and the media is in kahoots, and the politicians are in bed with the energy companies...then change it.

If you can't, then contact your doctor for a prescription for Valium and buy some sun screen...and enjoy life. It's too short to be all grumpy and mad at the world.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Steve,

I do not have satelitte TV so I never watch Foxnews, but occaisionally I do check it out on the internet and this popped up.  At any rate I have been trying to use suncreen as much as I can because the one thing that it is not going to do around here is quite having heat and sun.  I am currently sitting in my car, with the engine running, AC on to keep the temperature pleasant, in a Shell station parking area in front of a convience store in the middle of Amazonia.  And, I am plugged in to the internet with my handy GPRS internet service checking my e mail while the rain passes over.  It has been very rainy and sort of cool this rainy season.  Which I guess is the result of the La Nina which is in place now.  When I remember that as little as 15 years ago one could hardly make a long distance phone call from Manaus to southern Brasil the state of technology today is amazing.  I do not know what this has to do with climate change.  But, it certainly has made a change in many aspects of life.  And, in the end what is important is as you say, to have a good time and enjoy life.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Hey Don-

That's our local San Diego weatherman that I find to be VERY accurate....or at least more than most!  :cool:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I know the following will break the rules of the forum, and if the administrator asks me to, I will delete it.  Also, I am not an expert on climate science, but I am as sure as think I can be that this whole thing is aimed to sell people on having carbon taxes.

Here is a quote from a document produced by a think tank called the Club of Rome:

"In a report titled "The First Global Revolution" (1991) published by the Club of Rome, a globalist think tank, we find the following statement: "In searching for a new enemy to unite us, we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of global warming, water shortages, famine and the like would fit the bill.... All these dangers are caused by human intervention... The real enemy, then, is humanity itself."

That document was all about how they were going to steer the political, and thus media establishment into promoting the idea that there is a global crisis and the solution would be to hand over more of your wealth and freedom.

EDIT

actually I know that sounds conspiratorial, so I am not expecting people to except that theory at face value, but it is an idea I suppose you guys can think about if you wish.

Brevard County, Fl

I ended up looking at the NOAA site with extreme weather and came on this NOAA Extreme Weather. Interestingly enough the world high temperture records are for the most part from a long time ago.  And, none are from the 21st Century.  Maybe this means nothing.  But, it does point out the fact that the hottest temperatures have not been in the recent past.  If this means anything.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

• 1 month later...

A reference in another thread mentioned a "mini ice age." In the course of researching that, I found this article, which made me think of this thread. Now, here is a contrast.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...30_ice_age.html

And another more recent.

http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/column....html?id=332289

Maybe there is a similar law for scientist to that for physics. For every theory, there is an equal and opposite theory. :beatingdh:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a link to the "Global Warming Petition Project" by Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine...

Like Tom (sonoranfan) has stated, the government and the media have dictated the facts that global warming is caused by man, not science...

There are over 31,000 scientists who are much more than just "skeptical" about global warming being caused by man.

http://www.petitionproject.org/index.html

Here is a link to "peer-reviewed" research (unbiased scientific proof with supporting references) that global warming is not caused by man:

http://www.petitionproject.org/gwdatabase/...ticle_HTML.html

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Joe,

Thanks for the additional information on this subject.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

[Here is a link to the "Global Warming Petition Project" by Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine...

Like Tom (sonoranfan) has stated, the government and the media have dictated the facts that global warming is caused by man, not science...

There are over 31,000 scientists who are much more than just "skeptical" about global warming being caused by man.

I havent signed the petition, make that AT LEAST 31,001. I can also say that no scientist that I work with(of 15) is convinced by the "evidence" supporting mans impact on global thermal variation. Science is about experiement interpretation review and debate. The issue of the source of global thermal variation is far from resolved, regardless of the more visible political pundit opinions. Sorry Algore and friends, insults and demagoguery are no substitute for sound science.

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 1 month later...
Found this interesting in an Aussie newspaper

GLOBAL WARMING UPDATE

A good article for the spoon fed ostriches out there who believe everything the politicians have been feeding them about man made global warming. Well, I guess Algore will have to dress down those nobel prize winning scientists who disagree with his fossil fuel triggered global warming hysteria. Its sad that a large number of credible scientists may be discredited(and they should be, its part of the process) for their strong views on such a difficult subject. But you know, when you really dont understand what is going on, pretending that you do has a cost. For a scientist, that cost is continued ignorance when something could be learned instead. I still think there is not enough quality data to support ANY conclusion except that the current warming models are incorrect.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Tom

For "those" scientists, I propose another cost: public caning, you know Singapore style.....

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

• 1 month later...

Hello.

Well, I do not speak English, and write ... do not know which is correct, that's why I use the Google translator.

I was looking at other forums IPS and I saw this item. Climate change. Well, I am of people who believe that climate change is evident. By not go very far mention the earthquake that occurred in the capital of Mallorca last year, was the first in the history of Balearic we had one of these characteristics (although in 2003 we had one, very weak force, that it was first of all). Or this summer and just, who has been particularly odd, or the years that I put myself without an overcoat in winter ... Okay, okay, maybe the latter on ... but it is well. Due to rising temperatures, especially the hivernale, I put myself without an overcoat ... since ... Is 2000?

I have 20 years old and, despite my young age I have already seen some effects of climate change.

For now, I dare say that this spring has been the most rainy, which this month of August has not been as warm than expected, and that my Acers palmatums are already preparing for the autumn (when you touch by doing what less in the middle of next month).

Regards.

Sur de Mallorca (39º 58′ 0″ N) - Zona USDA 9b/10a