IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern California

MattyB

Okay Matty-

You, me and Paul and the IHOP in West Hollywood in delightful native costumes of the Pacific. Added bonus: they valet park.

Entering data,

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

OK, you, me, Paul and Paul's mom, butt naked on the roof of IHOP in West Hollywood with a eukelele singing "I'm too sexy" eatin' drumstick ice cream bars and yellin' at cars!  Or was that just me last night? ???

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Feb. 27 2008,15:37)

OK, you, me, Paul and Paul's mom, butt naked on the roof of IHOP in West Hollywood with a eukelele singing "I'm too sexy" eatin' drumstick ice cream bars and yellin' at cars!  Or was that just me last night? ???

I think I will decline to attend   that  PRA  event,  Thank You.  ???

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(MattyB @ Feb. 27 2008,17:37)

Matt,

And all this time, I didn't know you were from the south, cuz.

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Matty's WeHo behavior wouldn't bat an eye.  Typical crazy Cali's   :laugh:

84F / 28.8c

57F / 13.8c

But don't get lolled into thinking that winter is over because is ain't  :o those scary Gulf coast/Florida temps could easily be in California soon

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Yes Happ, As much as I want too, I'm thinking of waiting till mid-March for attack.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

So. California weather is to me too much nicer than Florida weather.  :P  :;):

Climate zone : 8b/9a

January average temperature : 41°F/5°C

July average temperature : 80°F/27°C

Don't let Jeff hear that. :P

My low yesterday was 15C (59F), probably the warmest low since late Nov or early Dec.  It was 12.5C (55F) this morning.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(happ @ Feb. 27 2008,19:06)

But don't get lolled into thinking that winter is over because is ain't  :o those scary Gulf coast/Florida temps could easily be in California soon

Happ is trying to scare us again, but it's not workin'. The all-time record low in my area from here on out is 34F.

I say shut this thread down, because Winter is over. That is unless we all want to keep comparing lows in the 50s until May.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Ohhhh, bold move Terry!  Dare I claim victory with the Carpoxylon in the ground absolutely unprotected all winter?  Mother nature may wish to slap our faces.  Hmmmmm, I'll wait.

But more importantly:

Bill said:

Yes Happ, As much as I want too, I'm thinking of waiting till mid-March for attack.

You aren't threatening to plant plants in the dirt are you Bill?  Ya know, like dirt meaning ground, tierra, mud, earth???????????

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Feb. 28 2008,10:15)

Ohhhh, bold move Terry!  Dare I claim victory with the Carpoxylon in the ground absolutely unprotected all winter?  Mother nature may wish to slap our faces.  Hmmmmm, I'll wait.

But more importantly:

Bill said:

You aren't threatening to plant plants in the dirt are you Bill?  Ya know, like dirt meaning ground, tierra, mud, earth???????????

Naw, don't get your hopes up....bigger pots.  

MAYBE one or two may go in the ground so I can pass the "10" number.  

Matt-

YOUR next challenge there, "Satakentia".

OK.  Does it need shade?  I think the Carpoxylon is going strong because of its tolerance of sun which allows it to bake and heat up even when it's chilly outside.  After seeing Al in Kona's I'm fairly confident that they can take some pretty extreme heat and sun....we'll see on the lower humidity though. ???

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt-

YOUR next challenge there, "Satakentia".

OK.  Does it need shade?

I've had good results with a Satakentia potted in full sun.  It will be transplanted into the ground this Spring  :P

As far as winter is concerned, yes it continues to warm into spring but March can throw in a monkey wrench or penguin wrench  :laugh:   A few years ago we observed the coldest March ever in most of California [& the coldest month, period, I have ever recorded since 1980.  Palms suffered not because of frost but because of persist cold & at times wet weather.

On the other hand or paw, the very year before the coldest March we had a very warm March & April [average temp near 80F / 26.6c & balmy nights.  Let's hope we get a repeat of the latter this Spring  :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

There are nice temperatures in South CA  this days...

Even in Nor CA are very warm temperatures this days

Climate zone : 8b/9a

January average temperature : 41°F/5°C

July average temperature : 80°F/27°C

Nice moist flow as the Catalina Eddy turns off-shore

http://sat.wrh.noaa.gov/satelli....&size=1

Lo: 52F / 11.1c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Last of the moist air today as winds kicks in.  Clear nights will lower temps but well-above danger levels [though coldest areas could see 30's] Warmer days & no rain for quite a while.

49F / 9.4c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

9C (48F) in El Sereno this morning. First time below 10C in about a week...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

It looks like we're still paying for sunny days with cold nights. Tuesday morning is supposed to hit 38-40F for me. Nothing to worry about, but I am starting to see a few spears open and cordyline's flowering as they think it's Spring.

Medium range conditions appear to be warm/sunny well into next week  :cool:

Good time to get ahead of spring w/ transplants [& did just that today w/

Satakentia liukiuensis

Hyophorbe verschaffeltit

Calyptronoma rivalis

Pritchardia remota

All did quite well this winter fully-exposed esp calytronoma & pritchardia [planted near P. hillebrandii; both very happy  :D

70f / 21.1c

49f / 9.4c  

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ, when are you gonna post some pics?

I'll take some photos this coming weekend, Bill [kind of a winter round-up of how palms performed or didn't  :(  lost 2

Lo: 54f / 12.2c

There will be wind & periods of calm this week.  NWS 7-day tabular forecast for approximately 60 cities in SoCal shows above-freezing everywhere [but close in Santa Ynez - upper valley - near freezing].  Santa Ynez & Ojai can record the coldest minimums in SoCal [Temucula & Ramona aren't much warmer  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

The past week has been nice in Walnut Creek with night lows around 40F and day highs around 70F. 67F was the high yesterday and windy with gusts up to 40 MPH, not a nice day to work outside.  Next 3 days around 70F for a high and no wind today. Weed pulling out of flower beds and RoundUp today.

Beautiful up here......flowering trees in full bloom, and palms are showing signs of growth.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I hit 38F this morning. It's 71F now, so the warm up is fast.

Trimmed all the dead stuff from my bananas, and they look surprisingly nice. All have set fruit but the Rajapuri. My Elephant Ears made it through the Winter with no damage also.

10C (50F) this morning in El Sereno

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

41F at 615, 46F at 715F it was warming fast as Terry said.

37F. Looking forward to posting numbers that don't start with 3 again tomorrow.

52F / 11.1C [some favored foothills stayed above 60F

Looks like some marine air off the coast for limited influence beach cities. Mostly clear/warmer into weekend  :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

48F last night.  Watered everything for the first time in months.  Started throwing some fertilizer down on Phoenix.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

41F again. (barely)

(MattyB @ Feb. 27 2008,15:37)

You can't get that close without visiting me @ E!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

I was yelling at your building but you didn't come out.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

10C (50F) again for a low in El Sereno. It was above 12C (54F) all night except for a slight dip around 3AM...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

:o 51F here right now!

41F. I was just glad to be back above 40 again, until I saw Bill was at 51F  :angry:

hi osideterry i think you live in the most coldest part of the coast of southern california, you have many canyons by you bring down the cold air ? how can you have 41 F and many times more colder every night in the winter and now in march ?

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

(Cristóbal @ Mar. 05 2008,16:09)

hi osideterry i think you live in the most coldest part of the coast of southern california, you have many canyons by you bring down the cold air ? how can you have 41 F and many times more colder every night in the winter and now in march ?

Cristóbal

My own observations/study of the Oceanside area indicates a variety of reasons for the colder temps [ie. location of Santa Margarita mts/San Luis Rey river/lack of night wind/etc.].  

72f / 22.2c

50f / 11.1c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Hello from Sunny Florida.Sadly,Winter is over.High-82F.;Low-71F.Will have to wait for December for cool down.Hoping for a relatively cool May.

What you look for is what is looking

Take away my cloud/marine layer and I'm back to 41F.  38F for Terry?