IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern California

MattyB

I wonder if cooler ocean temps, La Nina, means a cooler summer this year? Last summer in N. Calif. was milder than normal, but actually good palm growing weather in my location. I usually get more heat damage than cold damage, but very little last summer. It's 40 F and clear in Walnut Creek this morning.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick

There have been cooler than normal summers during LA NINA phases [lots of stratus/coastal clouds & 5+ below normal temps  :o people inland, of-course love it  :laugh:

Overcast kept it mild overnight. Lo: 50F /10c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Get ready for more rain...

post-662-1203310398_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

48F this morning in Walnut Creeek, overcast, but part sun later today and mid 60's. Off and on rain the rest of the week with mild temps. I think I'll spread fertilizer today to be washed in by the rains.

Dick

Richard Douglas

42F and nary frost nor frozen birdbath in sight.

(osideterry @ Feb. 18 2008,11:22)

42F and nary frost nor frozen birdbath in sight.

Good way of putting it Terry  :laugh: ,

40.8F for my low. Much improved.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

At 23:54 it is currently:

51°F

Cloudy

Wind: SE at 5 mph

Humidity: 83%

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Looks like a rather boring week ahead with clouds & light showers [may get heavier rainfall towards the end of the week].  Slow-moving troughs of low-pressure will keep it cool.  Warm-up late in the week into next week  :D

Lo: 52F /11.1c  

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

The good side of all this....it seems the worst is behind us. Now all the little (and big) planty things in our yards can gear up and give us a Spring and Summer's growth spurt that we haven't seen in two years. Personally, I'm stoked as hell!

(can you say "hell" on the Boards?)  ???

It was 48F at daylight, and the wave of moisture came through the Bay area mid morning. Nothing to it, no wind, and only a mist, couldn't even call it a drizzle.  55F at 2 PM and looks like the high for the day. Just a dreery day here.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Gonzer - Hell yeah! I'm real ready to some real growing too!

Dick - I just looked up the monthly data on weather.com, and Walnut Creek has been warmer than Oceanside for both January and February. That is looking at both daily low and high temps. What we're getting now is like June gloom in February. Only much colder.

Gonzer.......you can probably get away with Damn or Hell, but don't use the "C" word which Jane Fonda used the other day on the Today Show on NBC. It may get her and NBC into deep S......and a big fine from the FCC to NBC. Anything that is premitted on network stations is probably OK. That precludes the C, F, N, and S words..........and a few others.

Actually none of these words would be used in polite company, so really they shouldn't be use on here.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick - weather.com's numbers don't make sense to me so I checked weatherunderground.com. Your mean temp for February has been 50F, while Oceanside's has been 51F. It's almost a tie.

Wish Spring would get here already

(osideterry @ Feb. 19 2008,19:53)

Gonzer - Hell yeah! I'm real ready to some real growing too!

Dick - I just looked up the monthly data on weather.com, and Walnut Creek has been warmer than Oceanside for both January and February. That is looking at both daily low and high temps. What we're getting now is like June gloom in February. Only much colder.

Great discussion & a real surprise  :P

I couldn't find Walnut Creek but Concord isn't far away [5 miles /1.60 kilometer, right Dick?

Here's the averages for Feb to date [2/19/08

NWS

Concord:  60.9F /16c

39.3F /4.0c

Oceanside Airport: 62.0F /16.6

38.7 /3.7c

San Diego: 63.4 /17.4c

46.8 /8.2c

Los Angeles: 67.3F /19.6c

46.7 /8.1c

NorthEast LA: 69.3 /20.7c

49.7 /9.8c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Hap,

I'm on the N/E side of Walnut Creek, very close to Concord so my temps are closer to Concords than to Walnut Creeks. There is usually a 2 to 3 degree difference.

The weather patterns have been very strange this winter and last and they are definately not normal. I can assure you there is NO winter in Walnut Creek that a Howea would pull through, yet you have them all over in coastal S. Calif. Last winter my low was 23.5 and a couple of weeks of below normal night temps. My Bismarkia bit the dust last winter and the P. T V T sustained 60% foliage damage. This winter, so far, my low has been 25.5 F, and no damage to the Parajubaea. It's surprising what a 2 degree difference can make, and maybe the duration too.

I'm really surprised that L A is so much warmer than San Diego or Oceanside, but maybe it's the heat sink thing.

The weather man is hinting that the storm due here on Sat. is much colder and holds lots more moisture, so we can expect significant rain.

Dick

Richard Douglas

One of the coldest days of winter w/ drizzle  :( [but the hills are lush & trees are flowering  :P

56F /13.3c

50F /10c

Dick

Winter is warmer in LA compared to San Diego [primarily due to the wind

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

45F. Close enough to average (48F). I'll take it.

In N. Calif., waves of moisture moving in from the SW, 48F this morning, and drizzle to very light rain as it has been doing off and on for the past 48 hrs. Big storm with high winds forcast for the weekend. The high yesterday was only about 55 F., and more of the same today.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Nice fetch of moisture [santa Catalina Is/Oceanside/ Carlsbad/Palomar 1-3" /2-7cm :P  and a stronger storm moving into California this weekend

It's turning out to be a real nice rain season  :D sunshine & warm temps next week.

59F /15c

48F /8.8c

0.63" /1.60cm

2.01 /5.10cm -Feb

20.11" /51.0cm -rainyear

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I have to say, I emptied my "rain bucket/trashcan" early last week, prior to the Valentines day storm.  I just checked tonite, that baby's holding just over 4 INCHES of rain from the last week!   Again as noted earlier this winter, thats more than ALL of last season!.

I predict All my palms will be buried in weeds....  :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The whole planet is messed up.  There is major flooding in Ecuador, Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, and Argentina right now, and the rain keeps coming.  This whole winter our nights here in Garden Grove have been hovering in the low 40s at night and in the 60s during the day.  We went from no rain for over a year, to more than the annual average rainfall in just a day or two, followed by more rain.  My Areca vestiaria are toast, as are my M. dariani and a D. pembana, and the heavy rain over a couple of days in January has doomed a few containerized palms that overwintered on the pool deck, since the feet were wet and cold for days.  I only left two of my coconuts outside this winter, the larger yellow Malayan dwarf and a Hawaiian (Pacific) tall that I have in 24" boxes.  The Malayan dwarf is practically burned and wind-beaten by the Santa Anas, but the Hawaiian tall looks like it is going to make it through the winter and recover fully in the spring.  From the summer growth that I saw I believed the opposite - that the Malayan dwarf would be hardier than the tall variety during the winter, but it looks like the tall can handle this unusually cold So. Cal. climate better.  The Newport Beach coco is a tall, I believe, which inclines me to believe that my Hawaiian tall may survive here near Disneyland.  Time will tell.

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)

At 6 AM the ever tightening low is just now slamming into the SF Bay Area. This low is well organized and it looks like a hurricane from the satalite picture. Winds are forcast to be 50 to 60+ with gusts. It only takes one 60+ gust to bring down trees and limbs. I may be without power later today. Right now, not a breath of air movement in Walnut Creek, the lull before the storm? Hunker down folks.

Dick

Richard Douglas

cold this morning, I saw frost on the rooftops below me.  6C (43F) up at my place...

I agree Dick, this low looks like a tropical storm.  Hopefully the winds won't be too bad.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

43.7F this morning.

Oceanside had 2.7" of rain yesterday (Friday) and more coming tonight. We are at 6.5" for February alone.

The low this morning was 48 F with steady light to moderate rain.  The storm arrived several hours later than forcast and wasn't nearly as bad as forcast.  Mostly light rain, but constant, and windy early morning, but not bad. I think I got about 1.5" of rain, maybe 2".  A wheel barrow half full of water.

Late afternoon and clearing now with some sun peeking through the clouds. Looks like nice weather this week in N. Cal, but there is another big low out over the Pacific and I wonder where it's going?

Dick

Richard Douglas

Looks like a zonal Pacific flow of progressive systems/ ridges & troughs this week [rain appears restricted to NorCal & weak.  Good garden weather - sunny/warm  :cool:

Beach cities picked up nearly 2" /5.08cm - well under an inch inland

62F /16.6c -norm: 71F /21.6c

49F /9.4c -norm: 52F /11.1c

0.48 -storm

2.00* -Feb

20.00* -rainyear

* correction

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

46.6F this morning.  Beautiful day today.  Sunny, and almost warm.  Bottle Palm and Carpoxylon still growing about 1/2" per week.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Sunny, clear and 42F. Coasting into Spring. (yay!)

45F here this morning.   And last night our John Coleman said he had a bigger grin than normal because winter is OVER!!!!!  Hooray!  (Hope he's right, I'll side with him)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dropped to just over 11C (52F) at 2AM, but it was up to 14C (57F) just before sunrise at 6AM...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Under clear skys my low was about 37 or 38 F (3.5C) this morning, kind of typical for this time of the year in Walnut Creek. At 10 AM it's 50F (10C) and warming up rapidly. It should get up to near 70F today, and this is the first day it feels like spring. There is just something in the air that I can't describe, but the birds are out singing......and it feels like spring.

My winter weeds and grasses are exploding with growth, and as soon as the dew drys off, this will be my first day to spray with Round UP. Unless we have some unusual weather, I hope I don't have to report on this thread anymore this year.......that is.......until I'm swealtering in heat in about 3 months.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I forgot to check my low last night but it was 51F when I looked at 7:00am.  So, high 40's at the coldest. Niiiiicccceeeee!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Nice day w/ more of the same into the weekend  :cool:

83F /28.3c

55F /12.7c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

51F AND clear at 6:15.  Thats what I'm talking about! :)

Yeah, 54F as a low overnight!  Beautiful SoCal weather.  Just plunked 2 Paulownia tomentosa (Sapphire Dragon Tree / Princess Tree) in the ground for some quick summer canopy.  These grew to 6 feet from seed in one year.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

My low was 45F, but it was in the low 60s by 8am. I'm thinking of throwing down fert early this year, maybe start with organics like seaweed extract.

56 at 6:00 a.m. Time for short pants/lavalavas.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

You and Paul with the sarongs!  I'll stick with my Dashiki thank you very much.  That would be three silly lookin' white boys if we walked into a Denny's strutting our stuff.  OK, I'm bored. sorry.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"