IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern California

MattyB

I was expecting a low of 36F this morning in Walnut Creek, but was surprised to see 48F, but the wind blew all night and there are strong winds with gusts coming from the North, our mini Santana winds of the North. I hear an ocassional Washingtonia frond come crashing down on my roof, and with the wind, it feels it feels much colder than 48F.

This is my first day with a new gardener, and I hate to work in the wind.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Experienced light rainfall this AM as the "inside slider" crept further west than anticipated  :P looks like at least 0.10 [i can stop watering for the day  :laugh:

Windy into the weekend [Dick, I believe we may see a shift in pattern to include rain/mild temps next week

Lo: 48F /8.8c  

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I had a decent amount of rain this morning, about 7mm (0.3in).  F-ing weathermen didn't say anything about rain last night, not even a chance, so I didn't think I needed to bring my tools inside.  I had fun running around in my underwear at 5AM trying to get everything into the garage. :angry: Also the temperature fell quite a bit while it was raining, down to 7C (45F)...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

That's a funny image Jack.

52F this morining and overcast and dewy (is that a word?)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(elHoagie @ Feb. 14 2008,12:42)

Also the temperature fell quite a bit while it was raining, down to 7C (45F)...

Yeah the drop in temp was interesting this morning. Just as the pressure started to rise, my temp went down about 8F in about 45minutes.

post-1261-1203012328_thumb.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Never got any garden work done today as the wind blew hard off and on all day. 34F forcast for Walnut Creek tonight and frost and freezing in the N. Bay.  Some widly scattered clouds and still some breeze, but dying down. Warming trend starting tomorrow. The humidity is very low. Chapped lips.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I don't think many/any forecasters saw this one. It looks like I picked up almost a half inch of rain.  

Snow was down WAY low today too!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

WOW!  Not looking good!!  39F here at 930pm.  :angry:  :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

40F at 10pm...  I have a head cold and REALLY don't feel like dragging pots into the garage again

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

POOP!!  Frost on all the roofs around here! It hit 34-35F here! Did not know it was gonna get that cold last night!   We'll see what makes it!  :angry:  :angry:

What a freak cold snap.  I was wathing the wether all week and they completely missed the rain and this cold.  Last night the NWS was forecasting an overnight low of 45 for downtown, but it was 43 already at the time.  

I think I got down to 38F, it's 39.4F at 7AM.  There's no frost around here, but the condensation on my car is slushy.  I'm pretty certain this is the first time since in 7 years that I've been below 40F outside of the Mid December to Mid January typical cold window.  And it was supposed to be warm and sunny all week!

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

See my other "sudden" thread in the Ohana Nui for a few pics.

Wow, that was unexpected.  A rare day that SoCal is as cold or colder for a low than in the San Joaquin valley.  Hopefully, you guys come through unscathed.

The last two mornings have only dropped to 35F due to a cold front coming through.  The lows have been above 40F for more than a week prior to this.   Beautiful pre-spring weather with high temps pushing 70F.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

It bottomed out at 35F where my potted palms are, but on the North side of my house the birdbath is frozen again.

I, too, was surprised to read the observations posted by San Diego county residents.  It was quite windy well into the evening here but calmed down shortly after midnight, yet the minimum didn't drop much - 50F /10c

The system that moved into SoCal originally came ashore over the PacificNW, dropped into Nevada & Arizona but then shifted west for a while yesterday.  Without the ocean to modify the temperature, the storm ushered in cold air and some rain & snow  :P

Should be a nice weekend.  The next storm on the horizon could occur later next week & looks to be mild.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

OK, that was wierd yesterday!  At 4:00 the wind switched and was comming out of the east  ??? and it was hailing!  The temperature dropped dramatically, and it was already down to 42F at 6:00pm.  I too noticed that the current temp was already lower then the news was forcasting for the overnight low!  I bottomed out at 37.9F this morning.  No frost visible but I'm sure it was down in the lower portion of my canyon.  That's my coldest reading so far, ever!  .3 of an inch of rain was recorded.  At least it's warm and sunny today.  I've gotta get some pics of the snowy mountains.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(happ @ Feb. 15 2008,11:15)

The system that moved into SoCal originally came ashore over the PacificNW, dropped into Nevada & Arizona but then shifted west for a while yesterday.  Without the ocean to modify the temperature, the storm ushered in cold air and some rain & snow  :P

Should be a nice weekend.  The next storm on the horizon could occur later next week & looks to be mild.

Happ,

Honestly no offense intended,but this is what I love about weathermen. :)

They never miss a beat,I would love to see them say on  tv, or the forecasts in weather blogs on the net ,okay we completely missed that one. We made a mistake ,and forgot to take into account such and such,unless they don't know what they forgot to take into account! :laugh: .  But they never do, they skip over it like it didn't happen,and in the next breath tell you what it is going to happen tommorrow or next week!  :laugh:

Rant over!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

In Walnut Creek, N. Calif., the winds stopped at dusk last night, and the low this morning was 34F as forcast. There was some frost around this morning, but not much since the humidity was so low. The moisture from the front passed the Bay Area, but we got the cold and wind from the back side. No wind today and it's warming up rapidly. Next few days should be toastey until the next series of storms move in next week.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I heard all the weather dudes and dudettes apologizing last night.  The only thing that they could say was , "sorry we completelyl missed that one!"

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(osideterry @ Feb. 15 2008,11:02)

It bottomed out at 35F where my potted palms are, but on the North side of my house the birdbath is frozen again.

It was cold and dry  in the late afternoon in Dana Point when SD was getting nailed but this morning it was warm and very windy .

We had a cold one last night in Temecula. Cars were covered with medium frost and our fountain had a layer of ice in it. Got down to 31F. Stayed near freezing all night long.

post-1261-1203103124_thumb.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Ouch, that was nasty down in SD.  Like Happ, it never dropped below 10C (50F) up at my place...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

wierd how variable it was within just the stretch between LA and SD.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Just watched the San Diego weather report . Supposed to be the lowest lows of the year .Still windy here , hope it stays that way .Any one from Ramona have snow on there palms ?

Hmmm. My sources show me expecting 35-37F tomorrow again. Not fun, but far from my lowest low.

My Ptychosperma sp. looks dead, and my Roystonea borinquena looks almost as dead. This winter has been consistently 5-10F below normal, and it's making me VERY ANGRY!

I really feel for you guys (and feel kind of silly for being miffed that we might dip into 40's tonight).  I moved to St. Pete in October of 2002, and January of 2003 was either the coldest or second coldest on record.  We got down to 28 one night (defoliated the scheffleras in many areas), and daytime highs were consistently in the upper 50's and lower 60's.  I remember well that feeling of total frustration, like "Oh, COME ON, would you give us a break, already!"  Just remember--the longer it's been cold, the closer you must be to spring.  At least that's what I would tell myself.  Hang in there!

Eric

St. Petersburg, FL

www.myspace.com/koolthing78

That was a dirty trick Motha Nature threw at San Diego county [sorry for your damage  :( s

Terry, ironically ptychosperma & to a lesser degree roystonea look just shy of fine w/ continued growth.  Understory palms are the healthiest for me.  What's your canopy like?  Even some 'full sun' palms do fine in near total shade though are slow growers.  

All my most exposed palms naturally take the brunt of winter [though it is the wind that causes the most damage :o Last night when cold calm air descended on greater San Diego it was blowing like hell in LA [even ficus show wind damage in under 15% humidity.  But the wind coupled with favorable terrain create the finest micro-climate in California  :P

gsn

What do you want me to say?  That I agree with anti-science bias  :laugh: Maybe a broader horizon would help [ie. like the stock market, disease, war] all as unpredictable as your palm trees.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Ah-weirdness:

I had no rain at all-but same zone as Happ and Streaking Jack. Also temp was more stable. How odd.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Happ - My two sick/dying palms are small ones still in pots. I've suspected the Ptycho' was a macarthur that hadn't clumped yet. The R. borinquena has 2 nasty leaves but the spear looks okay. Maybe it will make it. They are both in the warmest, most protected spot I have, under a roof eave and surrounded by 20 larger potted palms. All my other palms look fine.

2-3F warmer this morning than yesterday. NO frosty roofs today! :)

low of 34f in Riverside last night.... no frost. My ptychosperma elegans looks about croaked.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

40.5 F in Walnut Creek this morning, but overcast. Suppose to burn off soon and near 70 F later today.  This is weird weather.  You guys in SD county seem to be getting the worse of it this year. Really strange.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Visible satellite shows the marine layer moving north out of Los Alamitos bay/Long Beach.  Patchy low clouds this morning [46F /7.7c

Lots of weather-nerd activity over the San Diego event, esp the snowfall up near Warner Springs  :P  winter is still out there.  Chances of rainfall are looking good for next week.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Feb. 16 2008,00:17)

gsn

What do you want me to say?  That I agree with anti-science bias  :laugh: Maybe a broader horizon would help [ie. like the stock market, disease, war] all as unpredictable as your palm trees.

Happ,

ANTI-SCIENCE

I thought science had predictable ,proven results? :D

I  also thought we were talking about the weather,not my PALM trees! ???

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I read 34F today, one degree lower than yesterday.

Fall of 2006 is when I got a remote thermometer, and started watching the weather this close. Ignorance was bliss.

Clouds rolling in tonite....I'm happy.   I think I've decided.  I do not wish to see stars from my house November thru March, other than that, its OK.  :)

i have 14 years living in my city i NEVER see in this time 7C / 45 F at 6:00 pm ! And cold rain !

they have snow flakes in tecate 650 meters / 2000 feet altitude for first time in 18 years.

my two cocos nucifera for the cold weather i buy in the last summer dont look very good but will live they still grow only very slow. they suffer now from the high very cool wind for many days in this winter.

the other cocos nucifera i have in the ground 15 kilometers / 8 miles from the ocean looks more better, is still green and has growing one new frond still very slow.

the average temperatures in december / january for tijuana in this winter is only 12 C / 54 F. the normals 3 C / 4.7 F more. (Estación Meteorológica Tijuana - El Soler).

i hate this winter the most cold in 30 years !

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Yep, its all that global warming at work....

Cristóbal

LA NINA has strengthened [2.0°C below average Pacific equatorial ocean temperature].  Our conditions resemble a Nor Cal winter, at least sometimes though local water temps are normal for Feb [58F /14.4c LA & San Diego].  Opens the door for storms that originate out of the Gulf of Alaska.  Normally these 40 - 50N latitude northern storms are moisture-starved by the time they reach SoCal & aim cold air our way [like Thursday this past week in Tijuana  :o

Actually today was pretty nice  :D

70F /21C

46F /7.7C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23