IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern California

MattyB

33F for me last night. Light breeze, no frost. Not too bad.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

32F (0C) in Walnut Creek this morning.......another white frost, but no ice in the pails this morning, but it still feels like the artic.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Unreliable batteries in the transmitter; said low was 45, I'm not so sure...  Changed batteries, going forward readings will be more reliable.  Hiked up Cuyamaca Peak yesterday, it was pleasant on the sunny side of the mountain, but lots of snow and ice laying on the trail - crunch, crunch, crunch!  In the wind at the top, it was definitely low 30's!  But what a view!  From Mexico to Catalina Island, to the Salton Sea, a nice clear day.  When you get that view of snow on the mountains from San Diego looking east, Cuyamaca Peak is what you're looking at (so I'm told).

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

36.5F. Pretty average for this month.

This is my second year growing bananas. Last year they melted to the ground, but this year they just look a little worse every day.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I've done that hike Kim, thats a great view up there!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I use other plants besides palms to gage how cold it's been. The damage usually shows up a day or two later.  My Abyssinian banana is the most cold sensitive plant in my yard, and even the slightest frost will make the tips of the fronds wilt. Right now, it looks pretty sad with many nights at or below freezing. It's an eye sore and ready for a good trimming.

The Abyssinian is also the first plant that lets me know spring is finally here when it starts growing again.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Heres that eckmannii I am ecstatic about.  Shipped in Novem., potted up a week later just in time for our wonderful December, only brought in for 3 nights?

Voila!

windows-palm004.jpg

Oh yes, 7 gal pot.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Whoah, that's a monster Bill!  You better keep that one out of the ground, you might not have room for it (yes that was snarkasm).

I'm a little late checking in but here's my temps from this weekend.

Saturday 12-22 morning was my coldest temp yet:  41F  There was frost on roofs just a few blocks down the hill.

Sunday 12-23 was 45F.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

39F under light canopy last nite.it felt colder!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

36.8 in front 40 in the back. Dick I don't know how you do it. You are so matter of fact about frost and ice. It happened to me last year and I was in a deep depression for months.

San Marcos CA

Shon,

I don't push the envelope very hard. Most of my palms will take it to the low 20s with no foliage damage. They have taken much lower with some foliage damage, but they recovered.  In recent years, I've gotten a little braver and planted some Parajubaeas, Jubaeopis, and a few other "iffy" palms, and I figgure most of them will take it down to 25F with little or no damage. Most of my iffy ones have some overhead protection, and if I think it's going to get real cold, I throw a sheet over them as the new palm plantings are fairly small. If the forcast was for in the teens, then I would add 1 or 2 200w light bulbs under the sheets, and pray. :)

I have a few tropical palms in containers that I move under a wide overhang in the winter. It's warmer near the house and with frost kept off the fronds they have done fine except for the huge freeze in 89/90, and then I lost all my tropical plants. It got down to 14F here, and I know what cold damage depression is all about.

Until last winter we experienced 8 unusually mild winters in Calif. and I think we all got a little complacient and pushed the envelope to far. This winter has seemed colder than normal, but this is really more of a "normal" winter for Calif. Do I like frost and ice? Hell no, I hate cold weather.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Nice day & warmer than it has been in several weeks [even topped 80F/26.6c Anaheim/Corona/San Pasqual, etc] w/ quite low relative humidity/dew points.  Wind may be an issue tomorrow & into Christmas day [possible high fire conditions  :(

As usual night wind kept minimums mild overnight [still in the 60's @ 11PM.  Of-course where it is calm night temps are cold  :o

LA: 78F/25.5c

51F/10.5c  

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Only got down to 40f in Riverside.... nice mild night. It's already up to 60+ this morning... should be a nice day :)

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Low was 45.5 here, looking to be another beautiful day.

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

My low was 53F last night, the breeze was soft and steady, just like I like my women ??? !  It's gonna be warm and dry and windy.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It was a balmy 49.5F in Walnut Creek this morning........relatively speaking, but there was cloud cover. Several hours later, it's sunny, breezy and still 49.5F. Expected high today is 60F.

Dick

Richard Douglas

About 40F for me and warming up nicely today.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

45F here in Los Altos this morning. Low 60s this afternoon under clear blue skies.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Yikes!

From 49.5 F yesterday to about 28F here this morning. The jet stream is pumping cold air right out of the Gulf of Alaska into the Bay Area. I should have covered some of my plants last night. The weather people lied again.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Sorry to read about your cold Xmas morning Dick  :o I was up in Rancho San Jose [low foothills of Fremont] Sunday.  My brother's garden isn't showing signs of frost damage yet but he did report very cold nights near freezing last week.  BTW also noticed how dry the hills are in the Bay Area [hope we get more rain this week

Wind was really bad last night [over 100mph/160km on highest peaks  :o I recorded gust of 61mph [really scary conditions w/ dew points/RH below 10%.  N wind is always the worst Mt Washington/Northeast LA

Cooler this morning but mild & calm  :D

Lo: 55F/12.7c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

53F  Merry Christmas

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Looks like a repeat of last week w/ storms pounding the PacNW sending ripples of energy into California.  Dry for SoCal w/ vacillating impulses of cold air modified by some marine air [NWS forecasting above freezing all areas.  Week ends warm but windy  :o

In spite of recent storm the humidity is horrible & the soil dries out quickly [always underestimate irrigation needs during winter  :(  wind is kicking up already [barely after sunset

LA: 70F/21.1c norm: 70F

*52F/11.1c norm: 50F  

* correction

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Last night's low 45.3F, high today 71F, had the doors open while cooking Christmas dinner, just a perfect day.  It does feel dry, though.

Kim Cyr

I already cleared the thermometer, but it was same as usual. Mid 30s. Tomorrow might be colder, as it's already 40F at 9:45pm.

35F  yuck. :(

32F

Palms look fine, but the bananas are lookin' real bad.

Ittttt wwwwasss ttttwentttty sssixxx hhheeere llllassttt nnniiightttt. scared.gif

Matt in Temecula, CA

46F/7.7c here w/ calm winds this morning.

I can't quite understand why several members are reporting near or below freezing temps [Vista/Oceanside/Temecula] when NWS is reporting/predicting above freezing readings overnight  ??? Keeping in mind that micro-climates are rampant [esp in San Diego Co].  Did notice that Corona/Riverside/Ramona reported well below freezing minimums this morning  :o

I'm afraid it's more of the same at least thru this week with cold Canadian air transporting into California on dying cold fronts.  Rain looks unlikely in SoCal this week but super-dry air coupled with periods of strong wind will be our weather foes [the lack of humidity, of-course, allows rapid radiational cooling at night].  Winds mix & warm the air [except in calm areas] but the toll it takes on palms is sad  :(  can't keep up with the watering needs especially when I'm trying to keep the roots warm.  Anyone have advice?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ,

The forcast for the SF Bay area tonight is from 20 to 40F.  Now what the hell does that tell me? At 2 PM it's only 55 F and there is a cold breeze from the W N W, and some thin high cirus moving fast from the West, and very few lower clouds from the north.  My gut feeling is there will be no clouds or wind tonight, and it will be the coldest night of the year in N. Calif. I'm putting sheets over some of the tender palms for tonight. I expect about 25F tonight. My lowest so far has been about 27.5F. We will see what my guesstimate is tomorrow.

Dick

Richard Douglas

(happ @ Dec. 26 2007,16:12)

I can't quite understand why several members are reporting near or below freezing temps [Vista/Oceanside/Temecula] when NWS is reporting/predicting above freezing readings overnight  ??? Keeping in mind that micro-climates are rampant [esp in San Diego Co].

Happ,

Because the WEATHERMEN were WRONG!!!

Isn't the first time ,and I'm for SURE, it won't be the LAST time! :;):

My apologies for posting on the Cali weather thread,but they are WRONG here in Florida too! :;):

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

(happ @ Dec. 26 2007,16:12)

46F/7.7c here w/ calm winds this morning.

I can't quite understand why several members are reporting near or below freezing temps [Vista/Oceanside/Temecula] when NWS is reporting/predicting above freezing readings overnight  ??? Keeping in mind that micro-climates are rampant [esp in San Diego Co].  Did notice that Corona/Riverside/Ramona reported well below freezing minimums this morning  :o

I'm afraid it's more of the same at least thru this week with cold Canadian air transporting into California on dying cold fronts.  Rain looks unlikely in SoCal this week but super-dry air coupled with periods of strong wind will be our weather foes [the lack of humidity, of-course, allows rapid radiational cooling at night].  Winds mix & warm the air [except in calm areas] but the toll it takes on palms is sad  :(  can't keep up with the watering needs especially when I'm trying to keep the roots warm.  Anyone have advice?

It was 40 degrees at my house when I woke up. I went to play golf at 630AM. The course is about 4 miles inland in Rancho Santa Fe.....it was 32 with frost everywhere.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

only had 36f last night... but they say 32 and windy in Riverside tonight....

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

44.4F this morning.  It seems like it's gonna be colder tonight.  Good luck to all.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I always think my weather station is incorrect. I have only had one night it reported below 40 so far. Last night the coldest report was 40.1. I know I am in a good spot, but to hear Vista and San Marcos had some 32 - 33 readings worries me my station might be worng. Even though I have three seperate places I take readings. I sure hope the station is right :).

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Once again NWS is forecasting above freezing all areas  :P extent of under-reporting a.m. cold was quite evident this morning.   Unfortunately many town areas experienced a wide range in temps within mere miles.  The models have considerable difficulty with minimums in our terrain.  Example:

NWS-LA 12-26-07 DAILY DATA

MINIMUMS:

SANTA MONICA PIER: 46F

SANTA MONICA AIRPORT: 40F

(approximately 1 mile/1.6km apart)

NEWPORT BEACH: 47F

LAGUNA BEACH: 36F

(only 10 miles though not a good example due to fact that Laguna lies below a major canyon)

SANTEE: 33F

LEMON GROVE: 41

(less than 10 miles)

RAMONA FIRE DEPT: 29F

RAMONA AIRPORT: 26F

(anyone know the distance?)

That's why data is so important in mapping our climate zones  :P

Of-course this is a mute point since the wind is howling over 40mph/ at my place tonight.  Another point is that most frost-free zones are due to wind but the wind is extremely dry sucking moisture from everything

Vietchia are looking real sad & winter just started  :(

LA: 62F/16.6c

46F/7.7c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I'm reading 44F at 10pm. This is the warmest it's been at 10 in over a week.

45F out front 42F in back here at almost 11pm. Breezy.

Dec 27, 3 AM.  My previous low this season, a few days ago was 27.5F (-2.3C). Right now at 3 AM, it's 27F, and will probably hit 25F at daylight. Temp probe 2 feet off the ground next to my Parajubaea T V T. I didn't cover the Parajubaea, so we will see what low it will take.  I suspect there will be foliage damage below 25F. The Para. T V T is fully recovered from the freezes last year, and was nice and green last night and some fronds taller than my head. I was hoping it wouldn't get cold tested AGAIN this year!

Dick

Richard Douglas