IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern California

MattyB

50F for my low last night.  Clouds around.  Hope it rains a lot.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

my hi-lo thermometer says it has been no lower than 39-40 the last 3 nites.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I think I won't bother posting if I'm 40F or above. So consider this a non-post from this morning.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

35.2F

Curious to see if anyone else was in the 30s.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Probably not a big surprise, but 28F for me last night. Once again, lawn and cars covered in Frost. So Far everything is looking OK. We will have to wait and see.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

46F/7.7c this morning.  Night temps will begin to rise a bit this week as Pacific moisture moves over the state.  The amount of rain shouldn't be all that generous in SoCal since the storms are northern latitude systems.  The week should be unsettled with clouds/some rain/cool temps.  By next weekend into Christmas the weather should warm up considerably  :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(BS, Man about Palms @ Dec. 16 2007,23:57)

I think I won't bother posting if I'm 40F or above. So consider this a non-post from this morning.

Bill

Your data is helpful even if frost is not an issue  :D

BTW

Larry posted this great ocean temp link [too bad it's readings are limited to so few stations.  

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/spac.html

As you can see Newport Beach water temp is only a few degrees warmer than Oceanside but minimums average 8 degrees warmer  ???

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

44.7 last night.  Weekend low was 39.7.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

46F last night.  I dug up a Caryota sp. this weekend from my old house and moved it to my new house.  It's about 7 feet tall w/ a 20 gallon root ball.  I figured I better get it out of that small lot before it gets big and falls on the house or hurts our tenants or worse their baby. :(   We'll see if a winter move kills it or triggers it to flower.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Dec. 17 2007,11:37)

46F last night.  I dug up a Caryota sp. this weekend from my old house and moved it to my new house.  It's about 7 feet tall w/ a 20 gallon root ball.  I figured I better get it out of that small lot before it gets big and falls on the house or hurts our tenants or worse their baby. :(   We'll see if a winter move kills it or triggers it to flower.

Good call, that thing would have been huge if you waited until April. Palms grow pretty fast in the winter... :D  :D

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

You grow fast in the winter.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(elHoagie @ Dec. 17 2007,15:23)

(MattyB @ Dec. 17 2007,11:37)

Good call, that thing would have been huge if you waited until April. Palms grow pretty fast in the winter... :D  :D

Hi Jack

Not sure my experience matches yours but winter time seems to be hibernation time for most palms [esp anything other than native California fan  ???

The rain definitely helps but the cold nights/cool days work against any significant growth on just about every other palm in my garden  :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Dec. 17 2007,14:07)

Hi Jack

Not sure my experience matches yours but winter time seems to be hibernation time for most palms [esp anything other than native California fan  ???

The rain definitely helps but the cold nights/cool days work against any significant growth on just about every other palm in my garden  :(

Happ,

Sorry for the confusion, I was just giving Matt a hard time :laugh:

Matt thinks he has skillz because he makes cool posts, like "You grow fast in the winter" and he poses for pictures with his shift off. He's just hiding the shame that his palms are all brown and crispy. He even kills Washys... Yeah, that's right, I said it.

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

If El Hoagie is calling out MattyB, I'm calling out Shon.

Shon - Please post some pathetic low temps, 'cause I know you're getting them. Freakin' Palm Guy and I are feeling kind of isolated posting the same low numbers day after day. Misery loves company.

(elHoagie @ Dec. 17 2007,15:19)

Hi Jack

Matt thinks he has skillz because he makes cool posts, like "You grow fast in the winter" and he poses for pictures with his shift off. He's just hiding the shame that his palms are all brown and crispy. He even kills Washys... Yeah, that's right, I said it.

Jack

Honestly Jack, I just read your "tutorial" regarding the greenhouse gasses and radiation in the global warming thread, and I think I can speak for all of us when I say, "Booorrrrrrrriiinnnggggggg!!!!!"  You should really stop copy/pasting articles from Popular Astronomer and passing them off as your own.  By the way, you spelled "Skills" wrong.  See what happens when you can't copy/paste.  I'm outy 5 w/ the triple zero biotch!  Weside!

Buck buck buck buck.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

matts been studying "teenage-ese" & likes to show it off whenever possible.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Hey I think this is becoming a San Diego versus Los Angeles tiff  :laugh: Sorry Matty but Jack is an El Sereno homeboy

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(pohonkelapa @ Dec. 17 2007,16:50)

matts been studying "teenage-ese" & likes to show it off whenever possible.

Yeah, I have no idea what he just said? What the hell is 5 w/ the triple zero? Besides, if Popular Astronomer is so boring, why do they sell hundreds of subscriptions each year? I mean I've never even heard of Popular Astronomer... why would I copy from it... if I even knew what it was...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Sorry Terry 38 in the front 42 in the back. This weekend is not looking good though. Weather.com got it at 34 three straight nights. Oside has got to be the coldest coastal town in So Cal. Rusty and I were talking the other day about how we hated surf contests there cause it was always colder than anywhere else by a huge margin.

San Marcos CA

(osideterry @ Dec. 17 2007,18:30)

If El Hoagie is calling out MattyB, I'm calling out Shon.

Shon - Please post some pathetic low temps, 'cause I know you're getting them. Freakin' Palm Guy and I are feeling kind of isolated posting the same low numbers day after day. Misery loves company.

:laugh: C'mon Shon, don't leave us hangin.  :P

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

MattyB get a clue, astronomy is sexy.  And Jack has the photos to prove it.

44.2 low for this morning.  And correcting, yesterday's low was 44.1, not 44.7 (didn't have my glasses on).

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I feel a little better now.  I noticed my "temp" I was posting was the in between average of my front yard temp and my back yard temp. But I first observed that a least a month ago, maybe two.  So, for the last few nights/morns I've been looking at all of them.  My "average thermometer" had two probs. One, its only 18" off the ground, Two, I hadn't really bothered to notice it stops getting any sun by 12 and is full shade after that. It is currently reading the coldest of the three!

So, I think it would be most accurate to add 1 degree to my past temps.  From now on, I'll post my front yard temps. Both of the others get varying degrees of surrounding shade thruout the day.

That leaves this morning at 40F....     oops, non-post again.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Oh yes, I've decided I hate clear, starry nights November thru February!!!!!!!!  I think I'm at about 14 days or so.... :(

36.5F

Agree Bill, these gloriously clear sunny days make you pay for it at 6am.

Weather.com forecasts 32F for me Friday night/Saturday morning. I'm watching that closely.

45.5F last night

Audi 5000.....anyone?  No former B-Boys out there?

Bum stickity bum stickity bum hun, I've got the rump pa pum pum pum pum, 'cause I could fi fia fo diddle bum here I come a peter piper.....

post--1197998074_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

OK Matt- Now you're confusing your threads....  :P

31F for me. No Frost. (thank you).

I'm showing a scary 26 and 28F for fri/sat. I'll be breaking out the frost cloths for sure and up all night with the wifes hair dryer plugged into the Honda2000. :D

Matt in Temecula, CA

Clouds and periods of light rain kept the temp above 50F across much of LA metro last night - 52F at my place.  The real moisture should arrive later today with possible inch of rain by tomorrow  :P  this is wonderful.  December may end up with above normal rainfall.

By late in the week a cold system could swing into SoCal though the rainfall looks meager.  Once the front passes over cold air will follow.  NWS is forecasting night temps in the 40's with some inland areas in the 30's [so far nothing below freezing except in those usual cold pockets like Temecula/Ojai  :(

Warmer weather will take over by this weekend though the models are not clear if another storm will develop shortly after Christmas Day.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Dec. 18 2007,14:05)

so far nothing below freezing except in those usual cold pockets like Temecula/Ojai  :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOO

O............(rip, rip, rip)

(that's the sound of me pulling my hair out if you were wondering)

Matt in Temecula, CA

Low 54.5, light rain. :)

Kim Cyr

55f right now and I think about .25 inch of rain., maybe a little more.  LA area got a lot more rain than San Diego.

36F for me. Most everything at my house is doing OK so far, just a few with minor spotting. I think my saving grace is that I don't linger at the low temp for very long.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

I think the rain is messing with my sensor. At some point during the night it was 40.6F, but now it's 57F. How does the temp change that much when it's cloudy with light rain?

Still nervous about the weekend. Not ready to see my bananas turn brown, the first visual sign I've experienced a real freeze.

53F last night w/ .10 " of rain.  Terry, I think that your low probably occured while it was still clear out earlier last night, and then the clouds rolled in and the rain started and it warmed up.  That's normal.  The storm is coming in over an ocean that's around 55-60 F, so the water is warmer than the air.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

My lows have been in the 30s 13 out 19 days so far in December, and weather.com has me in the 30s for the next 8 days straight. I just barely grazed 32F that one day, most days being in the 35-38F range.

Everything looks fine, and I think it's because it's usually in 50s by 9am.