IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Calling out to RPS,Ortanique,Faulkner,Searle etc.

Gbarce

Christian,

That must be a beautifull hybrid over some years, when he is bigger.... Do you hybrid by yourself? Or buy it?

Robbin

Southwest

Here's a new little Licuala that I started from seed last year. I really don't know anything about it, or seen any others around. It's Licuala pahangensis.

Jeff

post-23-1197602651_thumb.jpg

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Here's one of the slowest palms that I grow. It's Sommieria elegans. This plant is 3' tall, and many years old. I heard that this specie along with S, affinis have been grouped together and are now called S. leucophylla.

Jeff

post-23-1197602941_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(PiousPalms @ Dec. 13 2007,22:32)

That Sommieria elegans is a beauty!  Very striking simple leaves...  Will it ever get tall?  Like taller than me?

Bill,

Probably, only if you were standing next to it for many years in Papua New Guinea. :D  It's really slo$$$$.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for sharing these pictures Jeff.  These are exactly the kind of pictures I was hoping for in starting this thread.  I hope there are more in store for us :D

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Thanks Jeff. Beautiful palms I've never even heard the genus name of.

Any Californians want to show us what's in your collection? Johnny? Phil? JD?

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(osideterry @ Dec. 08 2007,19:52)

Is it possible the nursery guys have less time and motivation to post than the hobby guys? If I worked palms all day, all week, I might not be so excited to go out and take pictures of them, followed by the time it takes to then upload/post them.

Terry,

Call me cynical,but if there was a BUCK involved here, they would be on this thread like white on rice.

One only has to look as far as the PLANTS & SEEDS FOR SALE/SWAP to see that they can post pics of what they have to sell! Just my observations!

JEFF SEARLE excepted as he has JUMPED into this thread with both feet ! :;):

Jeff thanks for the  photos of some rare palms in your colection!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

scott:"you are cynical."(hey-you asked for it :D )

jeff thanks for the pix of palms that we rarley get to see!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(osideterry @ Dec. 14 2007,12:14)

Thanks Jeff. Beautiful palms I've never even heard the genus name of.

Any Californians want to show us what's in your collection? Johnny? Phil? JD?

Guys,  

Lets go! Where's Bo,Phil,Jerry and some international flare? I know you guys have that 1 or 2 palms that just don't make the rounds for discussion.I have a couple of more, but I want to see others. Remember, rare dosen't always mean big. Some of these specie's have only been in our collections for a year or two.Throw some names out there at us.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Here's one of my favorite Licuala's(again). From New Guinea, this is Licuala beccariana. The wide leaf form.

Jeff

post-23-1197685964_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Here's the same specie, but a different plant. Narrow leaf form.

Jeff

post-23-1197686051_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Now here they are together. These came from the same batch of seed. The narrow leaf form even has a different shade of green to the leaf.

Jeff

post-23-1197686151_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Another one I found was this Heterospathe cagayanensis.  There were a few small seedlings available many years ago and I still have not seen them offered again. This started flowering about 2 years ago while it was still in the pot. I finally put one in the ground, mostly shade all day, and is doing very well. It is now flowering again at this size.

Jeff

post-23-1197686609_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Here's a closeup of the flower just starting to emerge out. This specie is from the Philippines.

Jeff

post-23-1197686786_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff...dont tease me with stuff in pots...post some pics  of the fabulous garden at your house.

if you need pics i kno this great plant photog named Ryan....you may have met him around town or maybe a palm meeting

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

I definitely agree with rthink-- I love those Licuala's too.

Who else do we have to prod.

I totally forgot about Bo - Aloha!!!  Show us more of that Geonoma epetiolata.  Matty, Paul and Dean couldn't possibly have covered everthing in your treasure trove. :D

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Gene,

I don't even have any unusual palms! :(  OK, maybe just a few! :)  Let's see what we can find....here's an Orania decipiens. Now, some of these are unusual to me because I had a hard time locating and buying them. Maybe they're as common as Washingtonias for some of you!? :D  (The Orania is in the middle, semi-hidden behind the Clinostigmas).

Bo-Göran

post-22-1197777081_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Gene,

And here's the requested Geonoma epetiolata.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1197777135_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Pinanga riparia

post-22-1197777419_thumb.jpg

Areca oxycarpa

post-22-1197777460_thumb.jpg

Loxococcus rupicola

post-22-1197777502_thumb.jpg

And what I believe to be Hydriastele chaunostachys (formerly Gronophyllum chaunostachys). Seed was collected in Papua New Guinea in the early 1990s (but not by me!).

post-22-1197777586_thumb.jpg

Bo, I wouldn't consider anything in your garden as "common", and even if it was considered "common", they grow so beautifully in your garden that it is always a delight to look at what you've got growing. That Geonoma is wonderful. Geonoma is quite an uncommon genus. I wish I could grow more of them. They're gorgeous.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks Tyrone and Gene! Here's another one: Bentinckia condapanna. Received 3 of these as a gift from Jerry Andersen (jdapalms) in Oct 2004. They were in 1G pots. Put them in 5G pots after a while, and planted all three in Jan 2007, in memory of Bob Riffle. And posted photos in the "Palms for RLR" thread under "Memorials" at that time. Two of them visible in this photo.

post-22-1197785905_thumb.jpg

And here's one that still needs to be planted: Wettinia hirsuta. I just need to find a good spot for it (and its two siblings!)

post-22-1197786128_thumb.jpg

And here's another interesting palm. I bought this in 1996 as a 1G under the name Cyrtostachys elegans. C. elegans is a clumping palm - this one is obviously not. It may be C. peekeliana.

For several years it just sat there and did next to nothing, so I got tired of checking on it (and it's in a place that's kind of hidden away). Then, one day I went in that area to check on some other palms, and I almost didn't believe my eyes. I couldn't even see the crown of this palm. All of a sudden it had started growing like bamboo, with nodes that are close to 3 ft apart, and the top of the palm is now above some of the other fairly tall palms close by.

post-22-1197787348_thumb.jpg

The Bentinckia condapanna in the picture is from the same seed batch as Bo's palms in the ground.

Hawaii12-15-07046.jpg

Brahea moorei is not common in cultivation Especially in Hawaii and this one seems to be doing well. I think Al Bredeson may have one on the Kona side.

Hawaii12-15-07041.jpg

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

amazing stuff,guys!

thanks for taking the time to post some pix!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Bo,

Brahea moorei is not common anywhere, except maybe in habitat. This is a palm that somehow escaped my radar over the years until recently. I purchased a beautiful field grown speciman last summer, and it immediately went into decline. I planted it immediately, but all the fronds shortly turned brown. Now it has two very weak spheres pushing up, and I hope it can survive the winter. It had formed some trunk so I'm hoping there is enough strength left for it to survive. I'm told they prefer shade, or part shade and excellent drainage.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Bo,

Thanks for putting up some of those pictures, of what really are rare palms.  Cyrtostachys renda, Dypsis sp. Orange Crush, or maybe a Dypsis bejofo are considered pretty rare, and don't get me wrong, very nice, but these are are not at that level anymore when you think of Loxococcus or your Hydriastele chaunostachys. Thats some good stuff.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

dick, I have seen them in habitat, they grow in deep to partial shade

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Hi Tad,

I think most of us assume that because it's a Brahea it requires full sun. I planted a couple of B. nitidas a few years ago and the one that gets the most shade looks better than the one in full sun.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas