IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Calling out to RPS,Ortanique,Faulkner,Searle etc.

Gbarce

I don't mean to intrude with this post but with so many varieties of seeds/plants that you offer  and you guys obviously have a much wider access to palms than ordinary hobbyists like us-- I am really curious as to what palms you have in your private /personal collection? :D

What are your pride and joys?  Come on guys -- brag a little.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Great topic Gene!

Let's see it  :D

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

:) A really great Idea Gene, we have seen some things of Jeff. S's. collection, lets see more from all.Looking forward

to lots of Pic's Guy's. Thanks in advance.

Best wishes ,Mikey  :)

• Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

:) Good on ya Ken, It's a good place for some of our weird and wonderful

Palms to be show cased, I'll be adding some stuff as well.

Cheers,  Mikey :)

• Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

excellent idea.   now instead of working, I can check on this thread 20-25 times a day.

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

O boy, it's bragging time!  Lets see whacha got!:P        Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Sorry guys, but I don't keep a palm collection. Munich just does not have the right climate to grow a lot of palms, so all there is is a lone Trachy in my yard.

7921404400000000.jpg

The collection of potted palms I used to keep eventually got sold at my Nursery

Best, TOBY

(Toby @ Dec. 07 2007,18:04)

Best, TOBY

Yes, strange that, I had a large collection too until I strted my nursery then they mostly got sold.... cant resist a sale.

Nice house Toby !

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

I'll try to get a few pictures over the weekend,check back in a day or so.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I don't want to be the debbie downer on this thread, but some may be hesitant to showcase their rarer palms because we've had a few members on this board have rare palms and cycads stolen from their landscapes. It may have only been coincidental that they were members of this board posting their rarer specimens and then had them stolen or maybe not. Not saying other members stole their palms, but you don't need to be a member to view these threads.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Yes,iam watching all the collections of our heavy weights of this forum...!  :) So kindly keep the pictures comming..

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Wow! That is the mythical Tizianstrasse 44 !!!

Zillions of ceroxylons  and wagnerianus passed through that door...

Oh! If that trachycarpus could only talk! :laugh:

Beware...Jeff has a bull mastiff and 2 attack tortises

(and you thought they were vegetarians)  NOT !!

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Dear waykool  :)

that's old information,all forum regulars know this thing about 007 jeffs garden inhabitatents...

We like hear something new about our jeff..!  :P

And we have even seen the visuals,may be you joined the forum lately... :(

Lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(Toby @ Dec. 07 2007,18:04)

Sorry guys, but I don't keep a palm collection. Munich just does not have the right climate to grow a lot of palms, so all there is is a lone Trachy in my yard.

7921404400000000.jpg

Best, TOBY

Toby, you have  a nice house there. Do you wish you lived somewhere warmer with cheap land so you could grow your rainforest? I would find your situation quite frustrating actually.(But that's me) I find living at 32S quite frustrating, and I'm always wishing for better weather and cursing it when it all goes wrong. I need to get away to the tropics every now and then just to give me a "fix".  :)

Just wondering.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Is it possible the nursery guys have less time and motivation to post than the hobby guys? If I worked palms all day, all week, I might not be so excited to go out and take pictures of them, followed by the time it takes to then upload/post them.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Hi Tyrone,

yes, occasionally the cold is a bit frustrating, but instead of growing a big jungle I just go traveling. That way I can enjoy the palms at other peoples places without the headache of growing them, gardening can be a lot of work sometimes.

Of course another reason is that my business would not move easily. It is set up quite well here and I sure wouldn't want to deal with AQIS of such as you can imagine!

Gene, I guess the most exotic palms I had, and actually still have, probably the only ones left from the old collection, are a bunch of Ravenea sp. Anjouan, which may be R. hildebrandtii actually (?). These grow really well in containers and the tallest are now abt. 2m. I am hoping they will eventually put out some flowers.

Best, TOBY

(Toby @ Dec. 09 2007,14:43)

Hi Tyrone,

yes, occasionally the cold is a bit frustrating, but instead of growing a big jungle I just go traveling. That way I can enjoy the palms at other peoples places without the headache of growing them, gardening can be a lot of work sometimes.

Of course another reason is that my business would not move easily. It is set up quite well here and I sure wouldn't want to deal with AQIS of such as you can imagine!

Gene, I guess the most exotic palms I had, and actually still have, probably the only ones left from the old collection, are a bunch of Ravenea sp. Anjouan, which may be R. hildebrandtii actually (?). These grow really well in containers and the tallest are now abt. 2m. I am hoping they will eventually put out some flowers.

Best, TOBY

Yes Toby, you're quite right. I was thinking a bt after my last post and thought that you'd go traveling a bit and see real jungles instead of working hard at making an artificial one, and there is only so much time in the day anyway to get work done and other responsibilities etc. This is always a problem for me too getting the time. And AQIS well.......

I think you've got it all well sorted out.  :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Here's a palm I was after for many years. I first saw these growing in the Singapore Botanical garden. I fell in love with it so much, I was constantly asking for seeds from Ortanique and RPS, but to no avail. Finally a year ago,I was given a couple of plants from Fairchild Tropical Gardens that they had in their nursery,grown from seed that were collected by their staff while over in Malaysia. I will be planting these out next year. This is Livistona endauensis.

Jeff

post-23-1197505887_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

One last look. Does anyone have this specie growing,or can share some other information on this?

Jeff

post-23-1197506189_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Don't have it, never heard of it but I like it! Very rare and beautifull palm Jeff! Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

This is a palm that I bought at the South Florida Holiday Party last year down at Fairchild Gardens. It's Laccosperma opacum, a pretty rare palm genus from Cameroon.

Jeff

post-23-1197506745_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Here's a closer look, showing that it does have spines.

Jeff

post-23-1197506851_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

One last look, I'm not sure where this will get planted out next year. Because of the spines, I'll have to give it some good thought and consideration. But it will go to the house.

Jeff

post-23-1197506984_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I stumbled upon this today while out looking in the shadehouse and forgot I had this growing. This is Masoala madagascariensis and is really starting to look like something and color up nicely.

Jeff

post-23-1197507296_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Very interesting and pretty down below.

Jeff

post-23-1197507356_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Dec. 12 2007,19:45)

a pretty rare palm genus from Cameroon.

Jeff

Fess up Searle, you got that palm from Kennash and those other guys from cameroon,  :P

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

That Laccosperma might be the rarest palm I have ever seen a picture of in cultivation.  :P

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Jeff,

You were after a Livistona??  Something's happened to you..LOL

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Ray, Tampa @ Dec. 13 2007,06:43)

Jeff,

You were after a Livistona??  Something's happened to you..LOL

Ray

Ray,

Yea,yea, I knew I was going to take some ribbing for that. But, when I saw that palm in the gardens, I fell in love with instantly. I search long and hard for some seeds or plants, but nothing until Fairchild had it. it still a very rare palm to find in cultivation/botanical gardens. I wish someone( hint,hint, JD) would add any info. that they might have. A picture would be great too.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Nice palms Jeff.

We have what was labeled as L. endauensis when it was doanted. It looks different than yours and I have begun to think it might be a L. rotundifolia. If it is, then it is a more tender form as it shows some damage in the mid to upper 30sF. There is another L. rotundifolia (which survived 26F in 2/96)and a L. rotundifolia var. luzonensis nearby that don't get damaged at these temps.

3bab.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is a plant that is a bit of a mutt.

Syagrus x costae X Butia capitata

I call it the Costean Mule, or Silver Mule Palm. It is planted in my yard now.

ScostaexButia.jpg

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

More more more!!!

Calling Ortanique,  can you read me??!!!

What about the Hawaii and Australian folk?

The SoCal folk have to join in too.  Phil???

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/