IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Easy come, easy go at Lowes

BS Man about Palms

So I have issues too!  The one in the middle has its first ring of trunk!

P1010671.jpg

P1010673.jpg

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

I count that as 5hrs,28 mins for decision, pick up and post!  :D

(BS Man replying as Paul while visiting) :D

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

That middle one is a monster Nick. How did I miss that?

Paul/Bill: When people post from someone else's avatard it confuses the heck out of me. That said, I'm betting Paul has a nice new D. lepto also.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

After seeing that Bill bought a whole family of teddies I called Lowe's and asked one of the cashiers to save two for me.  She said no but she could sell me two over the phone so I asked her to pick out the ones with the fattest trunks.  She tried to talk me into the taller ones but luckily I held my ground with girth over length :P  .  I guess she had a good eye for girth!

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Bill,

I was just in a HD store this afternoon, and saw Chambeyronia macrocarpas, Licuala grandis, Areca vestiaria "Red Form", and for the first time, Kerriodoxa elegans. All in a 7gallon pot and all selling for $69.99.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Dec. 09 2007,19:36)

Bill,

I was just in a HD store this afternoon, and saw Chambeyronia macrocarpas, Licuala grandis, Areca vestiaria "Red Form", and for the first time, Kerriodoxa elegans. All in a 7gallon pot and all selling for $69.99.

Jeff

Jeff-

Does the source appear to be Florida?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(osideterry @ Dec. 09 2007,21:17)

That middle one is a monster Nick. How did I miss that?

Paul/Bill: When people post from someone else's avatard it confuses the heck out of me. That said, I'm betting Paul has a nice new D. lepto also.

:)

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

???

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS @ Man about Palms,Dec. 08 2007,12:58)

Kris-

I don't want you to think "we" managed to grow palms like that.  I supect they came from Hawaii where most things grow like that.

I merely purchased it from a " Home improvement hardware store".

Bill

Thanks for the info_Bill.

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(BS, Man about Palms @ Dec. 10 2007,02:50)

(Jeff Searle @ Dec. 09 2007,19:36)

Bill,

Jeff

Jeff-

Does the source appear to be Florida?

I've seen these in my local HD as well.  The source is Morningstar Nursery.

I nabbed a pink stemmed alocasia labeled as an elephant ear yesterday for $10.97!  I had been lusting after one of these.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Well, after all these times of hearing about all these fabulous deals that everyone in San Diego and everyone in Florida finds..... and never finding ANYTHING out here in the Inland Empire....

I Got me some Leptocheilos! They had the same Hawaiian grown 3 gallon $39 Dypsis here at Lowes off the 15 freeway/ Limonite. Picked up two... left two there knowing that if I came home with 4 my wife would have my head!

SCORE ! SCORE ! SCORE ! SCORE !

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Got dibs on the Lowes in Eastlake!  I called it! :angry:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Ok, make that Santee!  I'm going to Santee tonight!  No palmy people in Santee right?  I better get them before they freeze in the cold this week.  I really just doing this to help conserve tender palms.  I called it! :angry:   Stay back you hungry savages!  Back I say!

Shon, I see you viewing this topic.  Don't even think about it! :angry:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

My neighbor is the supply manager for Home and Garden for Lowes and Home Depot. He said they have thousands of these on an acre here in SoCal. They are going to be 'blowing' these out for $9.95 - yes, $9.95 -  starting Jan 1st until they are sold to make room for other stuff.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I would'nt drive to Santee for a free one. I'm waiting for BS man to post a pic of mine in his garage and not in his special acclimation spot with his Prestoa montana's. Len is this "source" reliable? Or are you just trying BS man's head spin?

San Marcos CA

The San Marcos store had them as well!

I picked up 3 of them on Friday night.

Still had about 8 of them at that time.

Of course, now that Len is mentioning that they will be going for $9.95 soon, I'm feeling like better deals are soon to come.....

What else do they have Len???

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

If Len is right I guess I could use a couple more... plant a triple. Man that would rock.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(osideterry @ Dec. 10 2007,17:04)

If Len is right I guess I could use a couple more... plant a triple. Man that would rock.

That was my first thought when I saw them.  $120 for Teddy bear triple, hard to beat that!!!

Len, are you a palm-pusher?  Dealer?  Real estate agent?  Gonna need more room for Teddies at ten bucks a crack... (why don't we have a 'scream' emoticon?)  I'm eyeing the neighbor's parking strip a la Ralph Velez...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

(MattyB @ Dec. 10 2007,13:56)

Ok, make that Santee!  I'm going to Santee tonight!  No palmy people in Santee right?  I better get them before they freeze in the cold this week.  I really just doing this to help conserve tender palms.  I called it! :angry:   Stay back you hungry savages!  Back I say!

Shon, I see you viewing this topic.  Don't even think about it! :angry:

Matt- do the voices in your head hurt you?

Sorry. He meant Teddy Bears. The real thing. My bad. Everyone's $39.95 investment is safe!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Lowes in San Clemente has two left as of 12/10/07.  Very nice looking trees!

Jeff

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

9 mins Bob- Is that a record?   :D

Bob did you go get them?  I went for the one with the fattest trunk.  Is $90.00 for a 15 gallon (short size 15 ) a good deal on a Bizzie?  I do not need one BUT if that is a good deal there is one left at Lowes IN Aliso Viejo.  Viva los Lowes - It is a palm frenzy out there!

(949) 542-0999

Boooooooooooooooooooyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :P  :P  :P  :P

teddy-005.jpg

I'll be hungover and shopping for teddy's on 1-1-08.  Can't have too many Dypsis baronii or Dypsis leptocheilos or Dypsis onilahensis or......(fainted)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Nice move Mattifurd.    By the way, Len is a little apologetic that his April fools joke was executed in December....or I guess January if you prefer.  ???

Nice rednecks there, good sizes for immediate planting.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wait a minute!  Len was joking?  I seriously was gonna be at Lowes on 1-1-08.  Clarification please................(Len you stinker!)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Today, Wed. San Clemente Lowes, I was there when the truck from Jaswinds Tropicals delivered 6 more Teddies all approx 6-9 ft tall. They are grown in Hawaii and underpotted in 3gal pots. Be carefull boys, it appears that they all had roots trimmed at the drain holes and are shadehouse grown. What the heck, I bought one more to plant at my rental property! :laugh:

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

I have never been to Jaswinds (somewhere in North S.D. ) but have seen there truck pull up at various nurseries.  Their plants are always pristine.  Hawaiian grown, huh?  I think I will head back down to Lowes in SC and get one more.  The one I bought is in my friends greenhouse (similar lean-to like you have Robert - Mark Gammell's house.  

Who is the buyer for Lowes?  We need to pressure him to bring in Hedyscepe's, Burretiokentias, and other PALMS for us!

BTW - Rancho Soledad has Foxtails in 10' for $55.00 - I believe they are 10 feet tall (Gary??)

I have a neighbor across the street who lets me great her yards as my own and plant whatever I like.  I am putting in palms that I have no room for so I can see them from across the street.  Beautiful agreement!

A Teddy Bear will look great over there!

Jefe

(949) 542-0999

I just got back from Lowe's in Santee with a real nice Teddy. With a free $10 gift card Lowe's sent me in the mail last weekend it only cost me $29.97. They had about seven Teddys' left in their garden section. They will probably be there until MattyB snatches up the rest.  :)

Bob

Bob from San Diego

10 miles from ocean @ 600 ft altitiude

Sunset zone 23

Add me to the list of people who have been affected. Went to the source and saved another $10 each.  :D

Mike in Scripps Ranch

Zone 10a, 9 miles from ocean

Dang!  I fogot I got one of those $10 off coupons in the mail too!  Oh well, better go back.  Otherwise I'd be loosing money really.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

So these are pretty under-potted. Would you pot them up now in the cold, or wait for spring to repot? And if you were gonna make them a double or triple, would you bare root them, or just pot them up wit the lava soil intact?

thanks!

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Dave,  as these carry the 1 year gaurantee I'd plant them out now.  That way by this time next year you'll know if they're gonna make it or not.  I don't see the sense of babying them through this winter, planting them out in spring and then having them croak next winter so you wont' be able to get your money back.  Ya feel me?  If you're gonna do a multi planting just brush off some of the soil/lava on the adjacent sides and push them as close to each other as you prefer.  These will get fatty trunks on them so if you make them touch right now then they'll get more of a curve away from each other than if you just give them 12" of space.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"