IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Easy come, easy go at Lowes

BS Man about Palms

Matt - In 9B I say baby the teddy bear. It's not exactly a Butia.

I'm not planting anything right now. I'm betting Dave's morning lows are in the 30s. D. leptocheilos is only rated to 30F in the SoCal guide, and Len toasted a couple by planting them too late in the Fall last year. I immediately potted mine up to a 7 gallon pot, and have no problem dragging it into the garage if it gets below freezing Saturday morning. It's going in the ground next Spring or Summer.

That 1-year guarantee doesn't mean much if they don't have this palm next year.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Yeah, I hear ya Terry.  I thought of that but I just figured that if it dies or gets severely damaged in the next 3 months to where it looks like it's not gonna be able to pull through next year, then go back and get another one for spring planting.  Or get your money back if they're out.  But if it does make it (yeah, baby it, cover it, kiss it, whatever to get it through winter) then you have a plant with it's feet in the ground for several months before the spring warmth comes and you'll get better growth next year.  Plus acclimating to sun in winter is easier so instead of having a palm that's acclimating next year, you'll have a palm that already acclimated (even if it looks crappy) and ready to grow a nice new crown.  But really it's just speculation and I've been drinking way too much Nyquil for anyone to take me that serious. ???

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Nyquil rules!

My lows right now have been 36-38 or so... although they say it might get to 30 Friday night (brrrr....)

I've got them on my front patio under cover... and its usually like 8 degrees warmer there, and they still get a few hours of sun so they can start acclimating. I was gonna wait until March to plant it out in a really protected spot near the house and under some canopy (I know it's a risky one... but at that price? Whadda hey?)

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

I forgot about the whole money back deal... not used to buying palms from Lowes :( I think I already lost the recept!

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Who guarantees Lowes will have more to replace those killed by too much winter too fast?  Treat them nice, you may never see this good price and size again.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I bought four of these palms and put them in the ground yesterday.  They were so root-bound in those pots that I think they aren't so bad off going into the ground now.  My low this year in Bonita is 43 degrees so I think I am going to be alright.  It has been my experience that I have more trouble getting palms established when planting in August when the weather is hot and dry.  In that weather there is little time for the root system to start working before the desiccation and frond burn starts.  I find they suffer less in the cooler weather where it is not dry and the sun exposure allows them to acclimate over several months.  The money back guarantee doesn't hurt either.

Patrick

Bonita, California (San Diego)

Zone 10B

10 Year Low of 29 degrees

6 Miles from San Diego Bay

Mild winters, somewhat warm summers

10 Miles North of Mexico/USA Border

1 acre

By the way, if you lost your receipt they can look it up if you bought it w/ your credit card.  That's what the clerk said when I asked him.  They also can track your DMV history, past relationships, and have access to Bo's airplane database.  I think he said they can read your mind too but then he shinned something in my eye and I forgot.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

FYI, Santee has 6 left as of last night.

Eastlake's inventory says they have over 20 but they do not have any.  I think there's some confusion about what these are labled.  I think they're labled "Palm Pottery Assorted" $39.97.  I have a feeling that they're getting some actual pottery and these plants confused in their inventory so talk to an outside garden expert who knows what teddy bear palms are to make sure they're in stock before driving on the toll road all the way down there to find they've got none.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I forgot to mention when I last picked up the group here in Oceanside, the checkout guy in Garden had to call his supervisor. He told me he wanted to make sure they were priced right, they were to big and nice and different to cost that price he thought.   :D  (She came up and recognised me from the "first" one I bought. I also told her they should be gone soon enough)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The wacky pricing at Lowes and Home Depot works both ways. Last time I was at HD, I found a big 5g Chamaedorea hooperiana. Problem is that it had a Kentia barcode on the pot. I even showed them the "King Maya Palm" hangtag attached to the petiole. Nope, it's a kentia, and that will be $79.95 please.

That's too bad Terry, I think they were letting those C. hooperianas go for about $50 bucks.  They're nice.  Bob got Paul one for their anniversary.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

it was closer to $40.

when are you gonna step up & get me something thoughtful?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Like that Ptychosperma macarthurii I got you for your birthday?  Hmmm, you're right, I should do something like that.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Wasn't their a Barbara Streisand song like that? "You Don't Send Me Ptychosperma macarthurii Anymore"

teddt.jpg

Well, I couldn't resist!  I had to make it an even three!  Santee is pretty much tapped out.  They've got one nice one left but it's really stretched so it would need a protected spot probably.  The other 4 are doingkers.  One of them was sort of a fatty but I felt the base and it felt soft.  EEEEkkkkk!  So I've got my three.  They'll go in the ground this weekend. I is crazy! :P

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I planted my Lowe's Teddy last weekend. Fortunately we have been having intermittent showers and cool cloudy weather  all week which kept away the normal hot scorching sun I get out in the front. I think it will aclimate nicely there. I also planted a Hyophorbe lagenicaulis a month ago about five feet away from the Teddy. I got the Bottle palm at Home Depot last summer and had been slowly aclimating it before I planted it. It seems to be doing well...so far. Here are a couple of pictures

Bob

Dypsis leptocheilos

Teddy.jpg

Teddytrunk.jpg

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis & Dypsis leptocheilos

TeddyBottlePalms.jpg

Bob from San Diego

10 miles from ocean @ 600 ft altitiude

Sunset zone 23

Man- you all is more braver than I planting at this time of year.  (Not that I really plant palms, but you know what I mean. :D )

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Man- you all is more braver than I planting at this time of year.  (Not that I really plant palms, but you know what I mean.  )

Nobody said us east county dwellers had any smarts.  :)

BUT we are tenacious.   :P

Bob

Bob from San Diego

10 miles from ocean @ 600 ft altitiude

Sunset zone 23

After all this talk about the great deal Lowe's had on Teddy Bears I had to take a chance at the Mission Valley Lowe's. Well , I drove down to Mission Valley this morning and walked in to the garden section. Looked around saw some queens, kings, washingtonia, ravanea rivularis galore, and even a CIDP. Where are the Teddy Bears. Kept looking a there they were. There were 24 of them. I made sure I inspected everyone of them. As I was looking through them the garden expert told me that there were more over there and pointed to the ravaneas. I wound up getting three. There were 21 left when I left. I am glad I got my hands on these. Nice Christmas present to myself. Merry Christmas! Mike

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

Palmtiki, way to go on the winter planting.  I hope they get a good start.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

• 1 year later...

So how did most folks fare on the ones they got at Lowes?

• 3 years later...

Bump again.. any reports? I still have a couple in pots and NO I have not planted any yet! haha I think Matts are pretty big now.

I think I noticed some teddy palm up here back in May at H.D. I almost got there 8' mature clumping cat palms for $20.00, some of the trunks were as thick as your wrist.

But they also have then in smaller cheaper sizes. Love H.D. here, Lowes on the other hand not very good for exotics, but great hardscaping material.

Any Updated photos?

Bill, pick up a shovel, dig a hole, plant those Leptos, soon.

They will reward you.

Oh, yeah. Women will glow. Men will chunder.

Do it soon. They're not fast, that one you got FOUR YEARS AGO needs to go in the ground . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.