IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Easy come, easy go at Lowes

BS Man about Palms

Well, I made a bunch of little stops on my way home looking for those smooth black rocks to put in the top of my Eckmanii pot tonite and I ended up at the Oceanside Lowes.

I decided to pick up some more of their new "Kellogg's" Palm and Cactus mix which looks pretty good, nice and light as it were. (any reports here from someone else?)  I also got a bag of "the rocks" that I'll have to wash and hand pick.

Anyhoo, as I walked in the garden area I went by a bunch of tall palms on a large cart near the front that I ignored, mainly cause they are usually plain Kentia's etc.  I proceeded to the back, got my stuff and came back and was standing in line and I looked at the cart, now about 25' away.

Hey wait.                                 <----- conversing w/myself

What?

Are the bottoms of those things fuzzy?

I dunno, can't quite tell.

Hey! I recognize those as the "Hawaii Dypsis Leptochelios in 3 gal pots" !!!

What are they doing here?

Why does the cart have a "Sold" sign on it?!

---------back to vocal communication------------

Hey there anymore of those fuzzy palms for sale?

- Dunno, I don't work in this area-

I then pull out of line to go rummage around, I find ONE 7 foot tall one left, looking a little more forlorn than the 6 on the cart.  

I decide to purchase said palm for the grand price of....  $39.95.  :D

I can always stand one more at that price.  

Pics if anybody wants, tomorrow.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

He shoots He Scores.

Killer Find

Congrats

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

I think they go for over a hundred bucks, I picked up a 2 footer from Dave for 35 bucks.

These were probubly stretched out in a shade house but that still is a Killer deal.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

(The Germinator @ Dec. 04 2007,06:08)

I think they go for over a hundred bucks, I picked up a 2 footer from Dave for 35 bucks.

These were probubly stretched out in a shade house but that still is a Killer deal.

Not greenhouse stretched,  Hawaii grown, look is close, but not the same. (You can usually tell the Hawaii part due to lots of Lava rock in the mix.)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'd given up on that store having anything of interest. Nice snag.

By the way, I prefer the "SuperSoil" Palm and Cactus Soil at HD over the Kellogs soil at Lowes.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(osideterry @ Dec. 04 2007,11:08)

I'd given up on that store having anything of interest. Nice snag.

By the way, I prefer the "SuperSoil" Palm and Cactus Soil at HD over the Kellogs soil at Lowes.

You're just paying more for that mix.  You should buy the big bag of Supersoil and add sand and it would be the same.  I mixed Supersoil, sand, and perlite.  This is one of the reason why my palms do not suffer very much in the winter while my neighbors' are withering away and not growing.

Lucky find Bill!!!

Show us da palm bro!

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

I saw one of those at the Mission Valley Lowes a few weeks ago...only the one I saw was in the clearance section for 1/2 off of 39.95...$20.  I probably should have alerted you all.  It was a good deal for sure.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Man!  I need to get me one-a dem!  Gary Levine stole mine and burnt it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I'm hitting 2 different Lowes on my way home tonight, including the one in Oceanside... in case Bill missed another one hiding there.

Not as great a deal (and you nursery guys will hate me for this) but The Home Depot in Oceanside (Hwy 76) has big 15 gallon Roystonea regias for $99 as of last Sunday.

Northern California Lowe's stores don't get anything like what SoCal gets and I, for one, am jealous......I find very little here.....how about some Livistona or Jubeaea?

Huh? What about it!

OK, OK....rant off....

Congrats!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

BS!

Pcitrues!

Wahhhhh ha ha ha

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I am jealous too and got stung too.   I got a great deal on a fabulous Dypsis lutescens which by some miracle I actually recognized.  Confirmed by folks here later.  Then realized the other palm I thought was Dypsis lutescens was not.  Bottom line is right now I would not recognize an unusual find if I found it.  I am studying hard, so maybe soon I will.  But, I saw some palms when I bought the Dypsis labeled Chamaerops excelsa.  I didn't know what that is, but I knew I didn't have any, so cool.  I bought 2 of them at $12 each.  Then I get home only to discover they are regualar old Trachys sold under some name that hasn't been used for years.    No biggie, I have 3 acres and plenty of room for a couple of new Trachys which are hardy here, but it  was the princple that aggravated me.  Then I discover many of the palms I have purchased were mislabeled.   Some of these big growers really suck.  Anyway, it pays to be knowledgeable when it comes to palms because it is buyer beware for sure.  Sorry for so many posts, but I only approach things full force, and right now I am approaching palms.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

OK, For those anxious waiters.  (I AM NOT near a computer during my work day, thus you'll see my posts in the early AM or PM -PST-)

Here it is, 7' "man door", 8' garage door. maybe its bigger than I said.  ???

racoonlowes004.jpg

racoonlowes003.jpg

I must add this will in no way whet my appetite for "the stuff" and stop me from shopping for favorites at Jungle Music, Jerry Andersens, Ron Lawyers, Kevin Weavers, Jeff Searles, etc. You get the picture.  :P

it seems someone was just telling me you could just go to the garden dept. of any home despot & ORDER any plant

they carry at any location.to protect this informants anonymity i won't reveal the name but its palmgrover. :cool:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

That's true Paul a friend of mine used to work there. The thing is whether they have it in stock or not. Bs that oe is biggerthan your other one. That was one the least desirable? What did the others look like? Is there any soil in that pot? :D

San Marcos CA

I was considering waiting out the winter to pot up, but It might be happy for ANY soil.  :D

Bill - I stopped by that Lowes and saw the cartload marked as sold. I want to know who buys a bunch of teddies and does'nt take them home?

You and cagary both scored and I'm jealous. The Lowes in Vista had nuthin'.

Great find, I have never seen these at my inland central FL Home Depots or Lowes. I got lucky about 2 years ago and snagged a few 3 gallon Archontophoenix cunninghamiana. 1 of the three have turned out to be A. c., the other 2 are A. Alexandrae or Maxima. Actually, they are way (the alex's/maximas) nicer palms than the A. c., but I bet the A. c. is the one left after then next real freeze here so I am glad that I got it growing. Also, I snagged a bunch of Veitchia arecina at that time which have been impressive to say the least. My HD and Lowes have actually sold cool things like Pinanga coronata and Kentia palms, but I just don't have the shade (or climate) for these palms. They were also pushing Thrinax radiata about a year ago, which I bought and glad for it, beautiful palm. The majority of the offerings are Foxtails, Bottles, Majesty's, D. Lutescens, Queens, Pheonix oddities, Washy hybrids. The Walmart near hear, yes Walmart, actually sells a different mix. They push a lot of Cocos, Triangle Palms, Spindles, Caryota mitis, Chamedoreas, Livastonas in addition to the ones mentioned. All of the palms can be found in 1 to 3 gallon size, which I like because it is a lot cheaper entry price and, hell, palms I have grown from 1 and 3 gallon size look better and grow better than the ones I have grown from larger pots. Actually, come to think of it, I have had no problem acquiring a very diverse palm garden from box stores...It is just like other palm lovers, though, I am just waiting to run across the species I don't have and I will feel left out and jealous when other people are getting things I don't have in thier box stores. :)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Oh, and Adonidia is sold even at the grocery stores around here (along with majesty palms). Adonidia is actually a very nice palm to grow around here if you can put it in nice protected spot.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(BS, Man about Palms @ Dec. 04 2007,22:24)

OK, For those anxious waiters.  (I AM NOT near a computer during my work day, thus you'll see my posts in the early AM or PM -PST-)

Here it is, 7' "man door", 8' garage door. maybe its bigger than I said.  ???

racoonlowes004.jpg

racoonlowes003.jpg

I must add this will in no way whet my appetite for "the stuff" and stop me from shopping for favorites at Jungle Music, Jerry Andersens, Ron Lawyers, Kevin Weavers, Jeff Searles, etc. You get the picture.  :P

Fine snag there!!

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

THEY'RE BAAAAACK!

I decided to poke my head Lowes in just for the heck of it. They had a bunch of the D.leptocheilos for $39. I pulled each out into the aisle and grabbed the pick of the litter. Not the biggest, but the prettiest.

I scored!

I checked the San Marcos Lowe's on the day I read this and they did not have any. I'm checking again tonight!!!

Terry - which store did you get them at and how many did they have left???

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Oceanside (Frazee @ Hwy 76)

They have about 8 or 10, all 6-7ft tall to top of leaf'spear.

pant, :P pant, :P  well,  they still have some left. Actually still had a good eight or so when I left. :D

Dear Bill  :)

Nice find and a lovely palm & thanks for the visuals..it is very surprising as to how you folks grow so big plams using so small containers...it appears to me like a magic.

hope your fertz are all world class products...! And they all seem to do terrefic work.

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Dec. 07 2007,23:08)

Dear Bill  :)

Nice find and a lovely palm & thanks for the visuals..it is very surprising as to how you folks grow so big plams using so small containers...it appears to me like a magic.

hope your fertz are all world class products...! And they all seem to do terrefic work.

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

Kris- I don't want you to think "we" managed to grow palms like that.  I supect they came from Hawaii where most things grow like that.

I merely purchased it from a " Home improvement hardware store".

Bill

Here's mine. Not the tallest, but in my opinion the nicest.

post-662-1197218979_thumb.jpg

A closeup of the crownshaft. No Photoshop trickery with the saturation here, this photo is straight from the camera.

post-662-1197219168_thumb.jpg

Nice find guys...My Hd has the same 4 boring types of palms year round.....I have talked to the guy that does the ordering and he tells me thats the only palms he can order in......I think he is lying.....I used to work at the Prodesk and know how the ordering works....I think it's the crapy Manager that keeps the departments from ordering the things the store needs.....He was once the LPS manager for the district before becoming a Manager.....he sucked at that to....

Cypress, Ca.

That is a really cool crownshaft.  Shame the big boxes down here don't get in things like that.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Heres my unretouched photo after a trip Friday night.  Thanks Terry.

raphismalcolm001.jpg

(ellidro @ Dec. 09 2007,10:08)

Bill you have problems!!!!!

Yes, its true.  But in reality I was getting some for other people too.  :D