IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Palmetum going forward

Carlo Morici

Dave, it is going to take years before the "Canarian Foundation of the Bot.Gdns of the Palmetum" starts working. Years, before it will be open to the public and have some offices with real people inside, publications, events, etc. It make take 2 or 10 years; at this point it is unpredictable. I am working there quite often but I don't know if I will still be there in some months. In the meantime we go ahead and try to keep a high standard and allow few visits for societies, palm-friends, schools, etc.

In about 10 years the oil refinery will be removed and replaced by residential builidings. Then the palmetum will be the hill within the city, not on a side.

The images in Google Earth are about one year old. The Canary Islands show up with high resolution because last year G-Earth signed a special contract with Graf Can, (Grafica de Canarias, the geographical company of the local Government). Check with G.Earth the top of the volcano, or the mountains on the NE tip, give some "tilt" and enjoy.

Carlo

Carlo, I think we all hope you can stay.   With the oil refinery slated to be removed (sounds like a huge cleanup project), the Palmetum's location becomes even more important.  Its unsuitability for construction of large buildings ensures that the site won't be appropriated for another big public building.  

By the way, Carlo, considering that you're an Italian living in Spain, your English is wonderfully good!

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

>considering that you're an Italian living in Spain, your English is wonderfully good!

I was a spy in my former life, then I met palms and changed to a different business

:P

SOUTH AMERICAN SECTION

“Chorisia” trees and on the left a group of Syagrus vermicularis

P1010011_redimensionar.jpg

Syagrus sancona. Planted in Nov 07. The day after planting.

This plant stayed in a pot for 10 years, its “brothers” are the ones behind the stream, planted by Carlos Simón around 1998.

P1010035_redimensionar.jpg

Hole, waiting for the following (and last) Syagrus sancona

Left: Trithrinax brasiliensis, from seeds sown in 1995, planted in 2000

P1010034_redimensionar.jpg

Copernicia prunifera, again 10 years in the same pot. They will hopefully be planted in Jan 2008.

P1010069_redimensionar.jpg

Foreground: Butia paraguayensis, Behind two Syagrus oleracea,.planted in Oct-Nov 2007. Rocks were laid by Carlos Simón during the earliest years.

P1010032_redimensionar.jpg

Trithrinax schizophylla, (formerly T.biflabellata), planted in Jul 07

P1010033_redimensionar.jpg

Syagrus picrophylla, planted in Nov 07

P1010030_redimensionar.jpg

P1010029_redimensionar.jpg

Hi Carlo

Did the funding allow for the recovering of the octagon?

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

The dome of the octagon is gone. The walls are fine but the metal structure is sinking and twisting and will have to be removed, one day. This was too expansive at the moment and we decided to invest in plants and irrigation, there is no shade cloth but at least we could plant something. So, we added a dozen species in the octagon and in January we will add some ten more species, with "casetas", the little shadehouses.

Carlo

Hi Carlo

Thats unfortunate the Octogan is sinking, can it be jack up and have concrete peers

placed under the support (when funds are available) rather than pull it down

thanks for the postings it has been wonderful to see the development.

Will the palmetum have full time maintenance staff from now on?

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

There is a full time maintenance staff, but the planted surface increased by about 35% during the last year, so the staff is in need of 1 or 2 more people. My job there is over again and during the next months I will visit the park every few weeks to keep an eye. Hopefully

they will call me again later.

I do not know when and how the dome will be replaced or restored. The cheap option is to remove the old dome and to lay steel cables from the top of the central pillar to the upper rim of the walls. Then shade cloth above, like the structure of a circus.

Carlo

• 6 months later...

I visited the palmetum today. Some more plantings have been done recently. About 30 more species. Here are some pictures

Carlo

Kentiopsis oliviformis. The big ones were planted in 2001. The three small ones are in the black tents, planted one month ago in May 2008.

P1010150_redimensionar.jpg

Believe it or not. In the little tents there are three Coccothrinax gracilis and one Guayacum officinalis. On the slope below there are 40 more C.gracilis.

P1010158_redimensionar.jpg

Roystonea lenis from SE Cuba, this picture was taken in November 2007, just planted.

P1010075_redimensionar.jpg

The same, today in June 2008... 7 (winter) months later.

P1010170_redimensionar.jpg

Carlo,

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. I remember reading the origina string of messages with great interest. I would love to see the evolution with this garden, picture by picture.

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Just the setting of the Palmetum is amazing! Great progress!

I'm always up for learning new things!

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic work, Carlos. Now that this topic is back, I shall keep watching.

Great work Carlos!! Please keep us up to date on the garden's growth.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Thanks Carlo

Look forward to future pictures

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

• 2 years later...

After a few years, I wish to refresh this topic.

The palmetum is now under construction again, but have I posted the new pictures in a different thread, HERE.

Carlo