IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

December weather thread

ruskinPalms

I took plenty of prefreeze pictures of the garden today. This may be as exotic as it ever looks as things that croak are going to be replaced with cold hardy species that can truly take 9B without visible damage or with just very minimal visible damage. I am not looking forward to chocolate brown blow torched palms for the rest of this winter and spring just to find out they didn't make when they don't come back by the middle of the summer. 27F with or without wind is cold enough to kill outright a good portion of my garden :(

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Water in pond behind the house is 74.5F - it will be interesting to see how cold it gets during this freeze.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I surprised that they are predicting a ~10 F difference for me to the rest of Central Florida and about the same temperature as interior and Northern South Florida.

Brevard County, Fl

Jimbeam,

Why would you be surprised  by anything the weathermen do or say?

Sorry but starting with the 7 day forecast which was very gloomy and cold. It has been revised UP almost every day ,until today! Now a day before the event they are back to GLOOM and DOOM!

And Accuweather which was way lower than anybody else for me.  Is now predicting the highest temps for the two nights starting Tuesday night/Wednesday morning 40F

next night 36F

Weather predictions, gota  love em! ???

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

NWS/NOAA has dropped me down to 25F now. Crap. They also have lowered the wind speed to a 10mph north northeast wind. My garden is going to look a lot different in a few days. I will be making a trip to the dump for sure :(

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ruskinPalms @ Dec. 31 2007,13:09)

I took plenty of prefreeze pictures of the garden today. This may be as exotic as it ever looks as things that croak are going to be replaced with cold hardy species that can truly take 9B without visible damage or with just very minimal visible damage. I am not looking forward to chocolate brown blow torched palms for the rest of this winter and spring just to find out they didn't make when they don't come back by the middle of the summer. 27F with or without wind is cold enough to kill outright a good portion of my garden :(

WoW  :o good luck Bill

Garden looks great in early winter only to turn brownish [the process is gradual in SoCalifornia & can be abrupt in Florida.  How about showing some "prefreeze" photos?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(Jimbean @ Dec. 31 2007,13:54)

I surprised that they are predicting a ~10 F difference for me to the rest of Central Florida and about the same temperature as interior and Northern South Florida.

NWS has revised everyone down.  I just checked the east coast on the coast all the way to Stuart and the forecasts show numbers right around freezing or a little below most everywhere except the barrier islands.

However, if the winds blow as they are supposed to (N/NE), then I would suspect the east coast would stay warmer than the west coast to some degree at the same latitude.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(ruskinPalms @ Dec. 31 2007,14:44)

NWS/NOAA has dropped me down to 25F now. Crap. They also have lowered the wind speed to a 10mph north northeast wind. My garden is going to look a lot different in a few days. I will be making a trip to the dump for sure :(

Ahhh....dont worry just yet Bill.  

1)  Maybe it wont get as cold as forecast.  They are usually wrong one way or the other.

2)  Maybe we will all be surprised at which plants comes through OK even if it does freeze.

Larry 

Bill,

That is depressing.  I hope things happen with the least amount of damage.  I can remember what that is like.  But, I never had it too extreme as I lived in East Fort Lauderdale.  Here it has been raining and raining more.  I guess that is what it is supposed to do in a rain forest.  There is so much moisture circulating aournd from the forest, rivers and the atmosphere that all it takes is for the sun to come out for a while and then it clouds up again and rains.  When the sun appears the temperatures jump from the low 80's F to the 90's in no time at all.   It rained a lot this afternoon and it is now quite cool at 73F at 4PM.  That is something a bit rare as this is the normal night time low.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Well, for some reason my camera did not save all the pictures I took today. I'll have to take some tomorrow with a different memory card. A few did save though:

Coconut, Royal etc.:

IMG_4003Custom.jpg

Nice reddish emerging spear on A. alexandrae:

IMG_4002Custom.jpg

Freeze protection for the front landscaping bed:

IMG_4004Large.jpg

I was going to buy frost cloth but it was ridiculously expensive so I bought some rolls of weed fabric that is supposted to be laid down under mulch. We'll see how it works if it does not blow away. Those are bottle palms bound and wrapped with several layers of the stuff with mulch piled around the bottle bases. If I can keep the growth bud from freezing, they might have a chance. By the way, the bed has P. xanadu, Ixora sp. and Crotons. I like the way it looks so I hope I can keep some of the ground heat trapped there to keep them alive. Again, this stuff may very well blow away. I have several "landscape staples" pushed through the fabric into the ground to hold it in place, but I have my doubts it is going to stay put in 30 mph winds.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Some "fun" forcast lows for wednesday night in FL cities at of the time of this post (source NWS/NOAA):

Naples: 34F

Fort Myers: 28F

Sebring: 24F

Sarasota: 30F

Ruskin: 28F

Apollo Beach:28F

St. Petersburg: 35F

Tampa: 25F

Tarpon Springs: 30F

Brookesville: 18F

Orlando: 26F

Gainesville: 19F

Tallahassee: 22F

Panama City: 26F

Panama City Beach: 29F

Destin: 26F

Jacksonville: 24F

Daytona Beach: 29F

Cape Canaveral: 34F

Cocoa Beach: 33F

Port St. Lucie: 33F

West Palm Beach: 35F

Palm Beach: 43F

Miami: 40F

Miami Beach: 43F

Marathon: 48F

Key West: 50F

Not FL (source Wunderground):

Havana, Cuba: 46F

Nassau, Bahamas: 55F

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Bill-

Thanks for posting that summary of forecasts.  It will serve as a permanent record of where the forecasts were at this time to which we can refer back to after the fact to check accuracy.  I am sure GSN will be doing this for us....hehehehehe

Larry 

(ruskinPalms @ Dec. 31 2007,19:43)

Havana, Cuba: 46F

Now we know this front is the reaL deal......

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Dec. 31 2007,20:41)

Bill-

Thanks for posting that summary of forecasts.  It will serve as a permanent record of where the forecasts were at this time to which we can refer back to after the fact to check accuracy.  I am sure GSN will be doing this for us....hehehehehe

Larry,

Contrary to popular belief I have nothing against weathermen! :D

I just wish they would acknowledge that their predictions, are only educated guesses and not sceince! :;):  Plus every once and awhile, admitting that they completely blew the forecast,rather then continuing on to the next days forecast guesses, as if they were completly right about yesterdays! ???

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I'll be having a sale at the house this spring.  If it moves, you can make me an offer.  I'll also be looking for another hobby and dissapearing from this forum soon.  Even though I've been through this before, it seems to get more difficult instead of easier.  Some things lose their luster after fighting too many battles.  Happy trails and look for my sale notice in a couple of months.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Well, Heres to hoping that 08 isnt the year that we return to the 80's

hopefully mother nature isnt dyslexic...

Were showing 38 and 37 over the next 2 nights  nothing too bad but I wouldnt be surprised at all if we get really close to 32 on thursday night....

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Oh boy!

As of this AM for 34689----

Weather.com - 28F

NWS - 30F

Accuweather - 34F

Weatherunderground - 25F

Larry 

(Ray @ Tampa,Jan. 01 2008,01:42)

I'll be having a sale at the house this spring.  If it moves, you can make me an offer.  I'll also be looking for another hobby and dissapearing from this forum soon.  Even though I've been through this before, it seems to get more difficult instead of easier.  Some things lose their luster after fighting too many battles.  Happy trails and look for my sale notice in a couple of months.

:(

I just hope it won't come to that.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(ruskinPalms @ Dec. 31 2007,14:44)

wow that sucks

good luck!

Brevard County, Fl

Really hoping all goes well in Florida [palm paradise for contiguous US  :P

December wasn't particularly balmy in California  :(  though nothing too extreme

DEC 2007

AVE MAX: 67.0 NORM: 70F/21c

AVE MIN: 49.2 NORM: 50F/10c

Hi Max: 84F lo Max: 58F

Hi Min: 62F lo Min: 44F

RAINFALL: 2.41 [Rainyear Jul/Jun: 5.09

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Forecasts for Wed night in 34689 as of 830PM tonight---

weather.com - 30F

NWS - 33F

accuweather.com- 34F

weatherunderground.com - 27F

Larry 

It looks like most of the forecasts have backed off tonights cold and its not looking quite so miserable.  

This AM is far warmer here than forecast as the winds have thus far stayed from the N with a slight NW component.

Larry 

That's true - it didn't get as cold as forecast.  It was 53 here and downtown St. Pete had 52.   Wasn't that wind something?  Everything was blowing around out there.  Anyway, maybe there's reason for optimism tonight?  They're still forecasting our low will be 34.  

Immokalee's low is forecast to be 30; Everglades City to be 31 - they're under freeze warning but we only have a watch.

But regardless, we're going to leave the water dripping tonight so the pipes don't freeze.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good