IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Need an ID please

tropicalb

My brother gave me this palm over 10 years ago...it's been in my breezeway forever...anyone have an idea as to what it may be?

kami.jpg

kami2.jpg

kami3.jpg

Looks like it was a very well grown C.elegans but could it be a bit thirsty?

J.

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Thanks for the ID Kami....I thought it may be something different than an elegans, given that the leaves are so long and droopy. It gets the same amount of water as what I know to be an elegans next to it, which has way more of an "upright" look to the leaves.

Has it allways had the "droopy" apearance or only recently?

I had thought of a couple of others it may have been but the open leaf sheaths are typical of C.elegans.

My next thought would be C.macrospadix but I'm certian macrospadix has a heavier stature.

Jason.

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

pretty much always been droopy looking kami....that's why i thought it may be something other than an elegans. i've had these kami's in my breezeway forever...heavy shade in there for the most part...i'll post some pics of the others around it when i get a chance...pretty sure all the other ones are elegans.

thanks for the help!

Is it just me or are we missing the fact that the leaflets are oddly spaced? I have never seen a C. elegans that has had unevenly spaced leaflets as shown (or are they missing?, ie. fell off?). Could still be one but there is something different about it. The leaflets, to me and ignoring their odd spacing, look like hooperiana. They seem bigger and longer than elegans normally are. Also, hooperiana leaflet spacing is normally wider than elegans and most chamis. Obviosuly it is not clumping, so that kind of kills that thought and as well the petioles on a hooper are longer and seem fairly short here (but still maybe longer than normal elegans).

As far as the drooping goes, I do have a C. elegans that is currently doing the same kinda thing. The new fronds are actually growing curved downward (the fronds are stiff, not weak and leaning over). I will take a picture to share. Mine has been in its container for 6 years or so.

Joe

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

(Joe palma @ Aug. 22 2006,03:39)

Is it just me or are we missing the fact that the leaflets are oddly spaced? I have never seen a C. elegans that has had unevenly spaced leaflets as shown.

I was thinking they were evenly spaced.... maybe its time to upgrade my screen....

If thier un- evenly spaced then this rules out elegans ,so I'd lean towards macrospadix.

We may just have to wait until it flowers to completly confirm its true identity.

Jason.

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Well I got one picture (not a good one) of my drooping C. elegans before the batteries croaked.  :angry:  C_elegans_droop

It's the lightest green colored one in the middle basically. It is growing downward and it is quite stiff.

Tropicalb lives close by me, so it could be a weather issue (compounded, possibly, by a watering issue also, as mentioned by Jason).

I'll take a better side profile when the batteries are fully charged!

Joe

Joe Dombrowski

San Marcos, CA

Here is a better picture of the drooping, fairly new (last one to open) frond on one of my C. elegans. C_elegans_droop2

Joe

Joe Dombrowski

San Marcos, CA