IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Highest Winter Temperatures

bubba

(bubba @ Jan. 28 2008,22:01)

Jim,I am forced to go with Weather Underground official reports.More than a few times,I have seen high temperatures in the Glades that far exceed any of the reported highs.Can't count it.Texas looks to be heating up big time and sadly Winter has been over here for a couple of weeks.

Then Wunderground is wrong, the official NWS high at Ft Stockton was 80F.  I trust the NWS more than wunderground.

http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=maf

Jim,I am sure you are right.I should have said that I started out on this "project" using Weather Underground and at this time it is too late to change horses.Generally speaking,Weather Underground is the most reliable of all the other sites for accumulating the data.As I have said before,many times I have seen much higher temperatures in our local Newspaper out in the Glades,where it does get hot.Can't use it.All things considered,Weather Underground gives a fair representation of the temperatures and I barely have time to complete this using it.It must be that "Texas Heat" right now that is got your attention.

What you look for is what is looking

Jan.30,2008-MH-Falfurrias,Tx.-91F;ML-Edinburg,Tx-69F. Results-MH-Fl.-34;Tx.-23;Ca.-3;Az-2;ML-Fl.-54;Tx-4;Ca.-1;Az-1.First high over 90F this Winter! Those guys out in Texas are getting meaner than the Rattlesnakes.I feel your pain.I sadly think Winter is over.

Other state Highs include Natchitoches,La77,El Centro,Ca63,Yuma66,Plant City,Fl78.

Jan.31,2008-MH-Melbourne,Fl-83F;ML-Marathon,Fl.-66F Results-MH-Fl-35;Tx-23;Ca-3;Az-2;ML-FL.55;Tx-4;Ca-1;Az-1.Other state highs included Peco,Tx 75,Yuma68,Thermal,Ca.67 and Hammond,La.57.

(bubba @ Jan. 30 2008,07:01)

Jim,I am sure you are right.I should have said that I started out on this "project" using Weather Underground and at this time it is too late to change horses.Generally speaking,Weather Underground is the most reliable of all the other sites for accumulating the data.As I have said before,many times I have seen much higher temperatures in our local Newspaper out in the Glades,where it does get hot.Can't use it.All things considered,Weather Underground gives a fair representation of the temperatures and I barely have time to complete this using it.It must be that "Texas Heat" right now that is got your attention.

Got it, you have to use one source and stick with it.

You will start seeing more heat in S. TX in Feb and Mar.  Supposed to be around 80 here next week, which means areas like Laredo will probably be around 90.

Feb.1,2008-MH-Plant City,Fl.-84F;MH-Key West,Fl.-69F.   Results-MH-Fl.-36;Tx-23;Ca.-3;Az.-2;ML-Fl.-56;Tx.-4;Ca.-1;Az.-1.Other state highs included McAllen,Tx.77,Yuma,Az.64,Fullerton,Ca.67and New Iberia,La.74.

Feb.2,2008-MH-Okeechobee,Fl.-84F.-ML-Marathon,Fl.-73F.Results-MH-Fl.-37;Tx.-23;Ca-3;Az.-2;

ML-Fl.-57;Tx.-4;Ca-1;Az.-1.Other state highs include Burnet,Tx.75,Yuma,Az.68,El Centro,Ca.66 and Houma,La.-59.

Weather underground never has my temps correct so their data here will never be right until they change their source. They get Moore Haven temps from Okeechobee airport which is 40+ miles north and much colder than here. If they do that other places its about as good as the usda's zone map its not correct.

David

David, I am keenly aware of the fact that places like Moore Haven, Belle Glade,Pahokee and other hot spots are not included in this Data and it does not give a perfect picture.I am doing the best with the only thing I have to work with. Someone should lobby the Weather Service for more coverage in your area because I know it would be helpful to the Region.

Feb.3,2008-MH-Okeechobee-86F.;ML-Ft.Lauderdale-71F. Results-Mh-Fl.-38;Tx-23;Ca.3;Az.-2;ML-Fl.Fl-58;Tx.-4;Ca.-1;Az.-1.Other state highs included Edinburg 80,Yuma 68,El Centro 64 and Natchitoches,La 71.

(Davidl @ Feb. 02 2008,12:41)

Weather underground never has my temps correct so their data here will never be right until they change their source. They get Moore Haven temps from Okeechobee airport which is 40+ miles north and much colder than here. If they do that other places its about as good as the usda's zone map its not correct.

David-

There is an amateur station in Moore Haven as well as a FAWN station in nearby Clewiston (both listed on Weatherunderground) that might be more accurate for you that the Okeechobee data.

Moore Haven

http://www.wunderground.com/weather....an=year

Airglades Airport FAWN

http://www.wunderground.com/weather....an=year

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Both these sites are colder than moore haven. One is in a cold pocket thats not far from the lake but about 12 miles from me and it is a very low spot where cold sinks in and the second is 13 miles from moore haven and not close to the lake at all.So unless there is a station in Moore Haven it will not be close to my temps.If we are talking about high temps it might be closer to Moore Haven

David

spockvr6  You are right that it is closer than okeechobee airport and I will keep the weather station on my computer because we really don't have a station here that civilians can see. The corps of engineers have one but they don't give it to the commercial weather sites as far as I know.

David

Feb.4,2008-MH-McAllen,Tx.-89F.;ML-Marathon,Fl.-73F.  Results-MH-Fl.-38;Tx.-24;Ca.-3;Az.-2;ML-Fl-59;Tx.-4;Ca.-1;Az-1.Other state highs include Plant City,Fl. 87,Yuma 69,Thermal 72 and Baton Rouge 77.

Feb.5,2008-MH-Laredo-197F;ML-Marathon-75F. Results -MH- Fl.-38;Tx-25;Ca.-3; Az-2;ML-Fl-60;Tx.-4;Ca.-1;Az-1.Other state highs included Plant City,Fl.87,El Centro,Ca 66,Yuma,Az 68,Baton Rouge 82.

Jimbo,Are you happy now! The whole country of Libya and particularly Azziza are in mourning.And for you Texans to do this in early February!How hot is it going to be tommorrow 205F!(Just kidding,the high in Laredo was 97F together with various other Texas locations.That is a little toasty for early Feb.!)

Actually Laredo officially hit 98 yesterday, but why quibble about a degree.

They hit 97 at least again today according to wunderground.

I figured out why wunderground is wrong most of the time I think.  They only take one observation per hour.  It can get 2-3 degrees warmer between official observations.

Jim,Are you guys expecting another Cool Summer out there in Texas or was that just Media hype?

(bubba @ Feb. 05 2008,06:10)

Feb.5,2008-MH-Laredo-197F;ML-Marathon-75F. Results -MH- Fl.-38;Tx-25;Ca.-3; Az-2;ML-Fl-60;Tx.-4;Ca.-1;Az-1.Other state highs included Plant City,Fl.87,El Centro,Ca 66,Yuma,Az 68,Baton Rouge 82.

Jimbo,Are you happy now! The whole country of Libya and particularly Azziza are in mourning.And for you Texans to do this in early February!How hot is it going to be tommorrow 205F!(Just kidding,the high in Laredo was 97F together with various other Texas locations.That is a little toasty for early Feb.!)

I am just southwest of Baton Rouge.  My sensor hit 82.7 today.  Based on your info, seems pretty accurate.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Feb.6,2008-MH-Hebbronville,Tx-98F;ML-Marathon,Fl-75.  Results-MH-Fl.-38;Tx-26;Ca-3;Az-2;ML-Fl-61;Tx-4;Ca-1;Ax-1.Other state highs included Naples 86, Yuma 65;Fullerton 66;Baton Rouge 83.The air changed down here about two weeks ago. The humidity is back and one can tell our Cool season is over.Doesn't mean that we won't get another cold front.It can't amount to much.Too much heat building up from the Key's.Hope it means we have a cool May. That is are only hope.

Feb.7,2008-MH-Melbourne,Fl.-87F.;ML-Marathon,Fl-77F. Results-MH-Fl.-39;Tx.-26;Ca.-3;Az.-2;ML-Fl-62;Tx.-4;Ca-1;Az-1.Other state highs included McAllen 73,Santa Barbara 64,Yuma 64 and Baton Rouge 75.

Feb.8,2008-MH-Okeechobee,Fl-89F;ML-Marathon,Fl.-77F.Results-MH-Fl.-40;Tx.-26;Ca.-3;Az-2;ML

-Fl.-63;Tx.-4;Ca-1;Az-1.Other state highs included Edinburg,Tx 82,Yuma 74,San Fernando 75,Natchitoches 68.

Saw a Weatherunderground station in Loxahatchee touch 89 this morning. Thank God it's a cool 81 here in Pompano...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Ken, There is a Weather Underground site for Loxahatchee? Where?

hi bubba dont stop experiment in february you can do all the year ? than in january 2009 do report for all the months of these states in united states for me this can be interesting

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Critobal,Thank you very much for your interest.My plan was to document a Winter,which for most interested area's is approximately Dec1-Feb15.It takes more time than you would expect and I am not sure I can make it beyond that time-frame.I know it is unfair for you in the West when this has been a particularly cool Winter. I think you and I and Jim and maybe a few others are the only ones who find this interesting.

Feb. 9,2008-MH-Laredo,Tx-89F;ML-Marathon,Fl.-75F. Results-MH-Fl-40;Tx.-27;Ca.-3;Az-2;ML-Fl-64;Tx-4:Ca-1;Az.-1.Other state highs included Marathon 87,Yuma 78,San Fernando 80,Shreveport 71.

(bubba @ Feb. 08 2008,16:37)

Ken, There is a Weather Underground site for Loxahatchee? Where?

Bubba--

There are two.

The one I'm linked to is at Sunsport Gardens (off 40th St /N and D Road).

Don't know if you can link to it without a membership, but here's the link:

http://www.wunderground.com/US/FL/Loxahatchee.html

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Feb.10,2008-MH-(Tie)-Marathon,Fl-86F.,Fort Worth Spinks,Tx.and Fullerton,Ca.;ML-Key West-73F.Results-MH-Fl.-41;TX.28;Ca.4;AZ.2:ML-FL-65;Tx.-4;CA-1:Az-1.Other state highs included Yuma 82and Baton Rouge 78.Welcome to the West for High Temperature heat!

(bubba @ Feb. 10 2008,07:44)

Feb.10,2008-MH-(Tie)-Marathon,Fl-86F.,Fort Worth Spinks,Tx.and Fullerton,Ca.;ML-Key West-73F.Results-MH-Fl.-41;TX.28;Ca.4;AZ.2:ML-FL-65;Tx.-4;CA-1:Az-1.Other state highs included Yuma 82and Baton Rouge 78.Welcome to the West for High Temperature heat!

Sorry Bubba (not your fault).  Wunderground wrong again.  Harlingen TX made it up to 88F, highest in nation.

Official NWS link for Harlingen TX:

http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=bro

Feb.11,2008-MH-Bullhead City,Az.and El Monte,Ca.(tie)-86F.-ML-Key West-73F.Results-MH-Fl-41;Tx.-28;Ca.-5;Az-2-ML-Fl-66;Tx-4;CA-1;Az-1.Other state highs included Laredo 83,Marathon 83 and Hammond 77.Welcome to the West(it's about time).The heat is starting to get fairly uniform in #'s and that is most likely evidence of Spring.

Jim,Sorry about Harligen.It did not show up in the State summary on Weather Underground,which is the only source I have(barely)time to use.Not surprised because it probably made a last minute surge that was not identified.

Feb.12,2008-MH-Laredo,Tx.-88F.;ML-Marathon,Fl-66F. Results-MH-FL.-41;Tx.-29;Ca-5;Az-2;ML-Fl.-67;Tx.-4;:Ca.-1;Az--1.Other state highs included Palm Springs 86,Yuma 85,Naples 80 and Baton Rouge 75.Heat is welling up every where!

Feb.13,2008-MH-Edinburg,Tx-87F.;ML-Marathon,Fl.-73F.Results-MH-Fla.-41;Tx.30;Ca.-5;Az.-2;M

L-Fl-68;Tx-4;Ca-1;Az.-1.Other state highs included Fullerton 84,Yuma 84,Okeechobee 80 and Baton Rouge 78.Temperatures are now becoming uniformly much Warmer.

hi bubba soon the desert in arizona and east california is to get hot very fast in only 2 months februray to april it goes from 70 temperatures to 90 and 100. the temperatures there are very influenced by altitude of sun.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Feb.14,2008-MH-El Centro,Ca.-87F;ML-Ft.Lauderdale,Fl.-69F.The results are MH-Fl-41;Tx.-30;Ca-6;Az.-2;ML-Fl.-69;Tx-4;Ca-1;Az-1.Other state highs included Marathon,Fl 85,Pecos,Tx. 80,Yuma 85 and Boothville,La 57.Spring has sprung.

Feb.15,2008-MH-Laredo,Tx-86F.;ML-Key West-66F.Results-MH-Fl-41;Tx-31;Ca.-6;Az-2; ML-Fl-70;Tx-4;Ca;1;Az-1.Other state highs included Tucson 70,Camarillo,Ca. 66, Miami 77 and New Iberia 68.

This concludes the Winter State High/Low results. Spring has arrived throughout all palm growing areas,even the more Northern areas. Without question,more cold is possible but the results provide interesting statistics and an insight into Winter in the Lower 48.I will follow with some observations and encourage your comments.