IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Highest Winter Temperatures

bubba

California, Arizona,Texas and Florida consistently are the States with the Highest Maximum Winter temperature.November 29,2007 Fort Myers,Florida was reported as having the highest temperature in the Continental US.That is interesting because I saw Cocoa Beach reporting 90 degrees F.around 3:00PM.I also think the Highest Low would be interesting.I think Key West took that yesterday with 76 degrees F.Any States challenge these numbers?

What you look for is what is looking

(bubba @ Nov. 30 2007,09:04)

That is interesting because I saw Cocoa Beach reporting 90 degrees F.around 3:00PM.

I suspect that must have been a data glitch as the high yesterday at the official Cocoa, FL station was reported as 78F.

I would imagine that 9 times out of 10 Key West has the warmest low temperature in the USA outside of Hawaii.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Also, I would suspect that the Florida stations have the highest average highs in winter in the continetal USA, but generally do not have the absolute highest highs in winter.

For example, Key West have never gotten above 86F in January, whereas even places so relatively "cold" as Dallas, TX have hit 95F in January.

Larry 

So commencing November 29,2007, the score is Florida 1, remaining states 0.

(bubba @ Nov. 30 2007,10:31)

So commencing November 29,2007, the score is Florida 1, remaining states 0.

Oh jeeze!

Have fun keeping track of this on a daily/yearly basis!

Larry 

Harligen,Texas edged Fort Myers,Florida 85F. to 84F. for high. Highest low was Hollywood,Florida at 73F.Highest high,Texas-1 Florida-1.Highest lowFlorida2-0.

Some times the absolute high is in Texas, from one of the following towns, Laredo, McAllen, Harlingen, or other South Texas towns.  Yet the average high is only about the same as Tampa.  Why, because deep S. TX is somewhat vulnerable to cold fronts, but can also get some real heat in winter, so it balances everything out.  Any town south of San Antonio can heat up fast in Dec, Jan, or Feb to the upper 80s to 90s if the wind is blowing out of the southwest.  The record high for San Antonio in Feb is 100F.  FL is surrounded by water, so while they average a higher max, they don't see the record highs that more desert or arid climates see (S. TX is more semi arid than FL).

Jim, You are right.Results Dec.1,2007-Laredo,Texas-89F.Best in Florida-Naples-83F.Highest low Marathon,Florida-75F.Results-High-Texas2,Florida1;HighestLowFlorida3-0

Bubba

How are you tracking this information daily for the states you mention?

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

I think I can already see the trend. Texas (and maybe even Arizona) will win the highest maximum contest, but Florida has an ace up its sleeve for maximum lows: The Florida Keys. The Keys are essentially tropical being surrounded by year round warm water. They have real tropical coral reefs for goodness sake. They will win the maximum low contest. Not sure where this thread is heading, but the Florida Keys are the best place to grow tropical palms in the continental U.S (are the FL keys considered part of the continental U.S.? I guess you can drive there from California...).  Hawaii/Guam and Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands beats the FL Keys hands down as the best places to grow tropical palms in lands under U.S. jurisdiction. Maybe I forgot another true tropical island group under U.S. jurisdiction? Anyway, central and south FL (peninsular FL) are really quite nice climates to live in for humans (with air conditioning in summer, of course). :)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Don, Weather Underground has a feature every day that lists the Nation's high temperatures.Bill, You are right. I am just having some fun.OK, reults for Dec.2,2007 were a three way tie between Harligen,Texas-91F., McAllen, Texas-91F.,Plant City,Florida-91F.Highest low-Miami,Florida-73F.High max-Texas-3 Florida-2;High low-Florida 5-0.

The national high on Dec 2 was 92 in McAllen TX, according to my local newspaper.   We are going to hand off the national highs to FL for a couple days due to a cold front coming thru TX last night.

Jim, I saw that this morning but the weather underground site listed a three way tie.I guess if the BCS can't get it right, no reason to assume that weather underground would.Dec.2,2007 revision-Max.highTexas4-Florida2. Keep me honest.

(bubba @ Dec. 03 2007,14:43)

Jim, I saw that this morning but the weather underground site listed a three way tie.I guess if the BCS can't get it right, no reason to assume that weather underground would.Dec.2,2007 revision-Max.highTexas4-Florida2. Keep me honest.

I like the BCS, it's a playoff every week!

Dec 3,2007-Okeechobee,Fla-86F;Miami,Fla-86F.;Highest Low-Marathon,Fla-75F.Highest high-Texas4-Fla.-2; Highest low-Fla.6-0.

FL with have the highest min at least 27-28 times, if not more, during the month, but I bet the highest daily max ends up being about a more even split between FL and TX, and possibly Cal and AZ too.  Keep your eye on Laredo and McAllen TX for high daily temps...

Dec.4,2007-High-Van Nuys,California-86F.Highest Minimum-Marathon,Florida-70FResults-Texas-4 Florida-2 California -1;I should note that USA Today reported Winter Haven at 89F. and this was bogus.Highest in Florida was several places ,including Miami at 80F.Also Avalon, California was close on Highest Minimum at 68F. Results Fla.7-0

Interesting stats Bubba, curious to see how things go as we head into winter.

Where exactly on weather undergrounds website can you find the max and min temps?

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Dec.5,2007-Results-MaxHigh-Laredo,tx.87F.Max low-Marathon,Fla.-61F.ResultsMax-TX5-Fla-2-Cal-1;Low fla.8-0.

Don,On Weather underground pine down and you will see each state has a running Max. This is not as easy as I thought.USA Today lists Van Nuys as the High Max at 87F. My paper said Laredo 88F.Weather Underground says Van Nuys high yesterday 80F.It says Laredo 87F.This is harder than I thought but I will try to hang on.

Geez, Do you guys in Tx.have anything that vaguely resembles a winter?That is some hot stuff!

(bubba @ Dec. 06 2007,08:48)

Dec.5,2007-Results-MaxHigh-Laredo,tx.87F.Max low-Marathon,Fla.-61F.ResultsMax-TX5-Fla-2-Cal-1;Low fla.8-0.

Don,On Weather underground pine down and you will see each state has a running Max. This is not as easy as I thought.USA Today lists Van Nuys as the High Max at 87F. My paper said Laredo 88F.Weather Underground says Van Nuys high yesterday 80F.It says Laredo 87F.This is harder than I thought but I will try to hang on.

Geez, Do you guys in Tx.have anything that vaguely resembles a winter?That is some hot stuff!

Deep South Texas, no they don't really get a winter.  Maybe 1-2 weeks long if you add up all the cold days during winter.  North and Central TX definitely get a winter though.  The RGV of TX is to us what South FL is for you guys (although not as warm, at least for low temps).

First thing I would do when looking at TX highs is look for the high in Laredo and McAllen, and maybe Harlingen or other RGV towns.

Where does Weather Underground get their data?  That 91 in Plant City on the 2nd looks fishy too.  Lakeland and Ruskin were 84 on that date, Tampa 81 (National Weather Service).

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

Dec.6,2007-Max.High-Edinburg,TX.;Max Low-Key West,Fla.-71F.Results MH-Tx.-5;Fl-2;Ca.-1;MM-Fl8-0

Jason,Ihave no idea where WU gets their info.Plant City is not the only place that appears to cook their theremometer.This is not as east as I thought.

(bubba @ Dec. 07 2007,06:56)

Dec.6,2007-Max.High-Edinburg,TX.;Max Low-Key West,Fla.-71F.Results MH-Tx.-5;Fl-2;Ca.-1;MM-Fl8-0

Jason,Ihave no idea where WU gets their info.Plant City is not the only place that appears to cook their theremometer.This is not as east as I thought.

The paper had Laredo TX at 85F for Dec 6.

Shouldn't it be Tx 6, you had Tx at 5 2 days in a row.

Laredo will take it the next several days because they are forecast to be in the 90s.

Jim, You are right.TX-6 ;fL-2;Ca.1;Max Min-Fl.9-0.I saw somewhere that Laredo was 88F. yesterday.You guys from Texas are beating the tar out of us.Reminds me of the Football National Championship last year!

5 day forecast for Laredo TX, they will cool down after that for a few days.

Today

Dec 07  Sunny 91°/66° 10 %

Sat

Dec 08  Partly Cloudy 91°/71° 20 %

Sun

Dec 09  Partly Cloudy 91°/72° 20 %

Mon

Dec 10  AM Light Rain 90°/64° 60 %

Tue

Dec 11  Isolated T-Storms 85°/58° 30 %

Dec.8,2007-MH-Laredo,Tx.-89F;ML-Marathon,Fl.-74F.;Results-TX.6;fL.-2;Ca.-1;Max Low-Fl-9-0.Texas is much hotter in the winter than I ever imagined.Best Florida could do was 85F at Ft.Myers.Keith near New Iberia had 84F and is now under "suspicious review"!I have now officially included Louisiana in all temp. checks.

Watch for Del Rio, TX to sneak in at least once this month or next. Spent a Winter out there awhile back. Hard to beat the warmth and huisache blooms in January...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I think it's TX 7, FL 2, CA 1, you had Tx at 6 for 2 days.

Laredo will grab it the next few days, mark it down.

But a cool front will pass through early in the week, if it makes it all the way through TX, then the highs will probably come from FL for a while.

Dec.9,2007-MH-Laredo,Tx-90F.-ML-Marathon,Fl.-75F.ResultsTx.-8-Fl-2-CA-1(MH)-ML-Fl 10-0; These temp's are from the day before.(ieDec.9,2007)Additionally,yesterday New Orleans and several other locations in Loisiana reported Max of 85F. The best Fl. could do was Tampa and Okkeechobee at 86F.Plant City,now on double secret probation,also reported 86F.

Jim,Thank you for keeping me honest!

Dec.10,2007- Results-Edinburg,Tx.-89F-MH;Key West,Fla.-74F.ML;Best in Fl.-Ft.Myers,Naples 85F.;NO, New Iberia,La.82F.Also,Brownsville ,Tx. was close with ML of 73F.Results-Tx-8;Fl-2;CA.-1;ML-fL-11-0.

The cold front didn't make it all the way thru TX, so there might be some more highs coming from South TX.

Just to show you how dramatic the temp change can be from one side of the cold front to the other...here in the San Antonio area it was 82F yesterday afternoon.  I called some relatives in North Texas (Wichita Falls) and it was 32F with ice pellets.  a 50 degree temp swing in the same state.  Glad I was on the good side of the cold front...

Dec.11,2007-MH-McAllen,Tx-88F.MH-Marathon,Fla.-75F.Results -MH-Tx.-9-Fl.2,Ca-1;ML-Fl12-0.Best in Fl-Naples 85F.Best in La.New Iberia 83F.So far winter out West has cool.I fully expect that this will change down the road as it always does(change).

Dec.12,2007-MH-Laredo,Tx.-91F.;ML-Harligen,Tx-76F.Results- MH-Tx-9;Fl.-2;Ca.-1;ML-Fl.11-Tx-1;Best Fl. could do was a three way tie between Tampa,Okkechobee and Plant City(now on triple secret probation)at 86F.; Baton Rouge,La(Home of the Red Stick)83F.As for max lows,Harligen,Tx.pulled the upset of the day topping Marathon,Fl 76-75.First victory by any other state in the max low!

Hmm.

A lot depends on when you ask and where.

Cali gets hot sometimes, even in the winter.  My first winter here, 91 F for Christmas, yeah, exceptional, but still cool.  Or hot.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dec.13,2007-Results-MH-Harligen,Tx.-87F.-ML-Marathon,Fl.-75F.Results MH-Tx.-10-Fl.-2-Ca-1;ML-Fl.12-Tx. -1.Highest in Fl. a three way tie at 86F.once again with Tampa(Airfoce Base), Okkeechobee and Plant City(now on muy,muy probation)Louisiana had numerous locations at 82.Change is on the way. When is it going to heat up in Ca. and Arizona?

Dec.14,2007-MH-Punta Gorda,Fl.-86F.;ML-Miami,Fl.-76F.Results-MH-TX.-10;Fl.-3; CA.1;ML-FL-13-Tx.-1.The cold front is on it's way. Harligen,Tx.yesterday's winner had a High of only 57F.Plant City,Fl reported 89F.(are they cooking their thermometer?)Will the West start to warm up?

??? It would seem that attention to definition of terms is needed.  If one is strictly referring to "winter" temperatures, should not the discussion wait until winter arrives?   I think winter is the period 21 Dec to 21 March in the north half of the globe.  

:D A small point perhaps, the discussion is interesting anyway.

JTW

http://www.palmsocietysouthtexas.org

PADRE ISLAND

Barrier Island on the South Texas Coast

N 27 36'38"

W O97 14'21"

Jon,No question Winter tehnically starts Dec 21,2007.That said, the cool down occurs substantially before that date.My goal is to keep track of temps. through US continental quasi tropical winter to get some idea of climate and ultimately it's effect on Palms.By the way, it has certainly been warm in South Texas!