IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fairchild Botanical Gardens

Gbarce

Marvelous pictures Gene. It's really hard to find adjectives for this pictorial thread...

I visited Fairchild last year during the winter but didn't have enough time to check so many beautiful plants in detail. You pictures reveal your great taste for plants, extreme sensibility and perfect photographic skill. Let us droll a little more...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

These cycads are in the "Cycad Circle" a lot of the m are Encephalartos - which is my favorite Genus- Particularly the blue varieties.

They just look out of this world.

post-1017-1196682369_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Gene,

Thanks for all the great pics. I can tell you really had a great time, and again, it was nice for Ryan and I to meet you at the sale.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

An Apatosaurus was walking by and I was able to get a shot of his foot

Actually thats the bas of a ponytail palm  - which is not actually a palm

post-1017-1196691998_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

This is a very nice place to sit.

Tomorrow I'll post pictures of the Spiny Madagascar Garden.  

It sucks!!!

I mean it has a lot of succulents. :P

post-1017-1196692622_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Gene, Thank you for the tremendous shots.For us, Fairchild is great but I have no doubt that Bo's is in a league of it's own.

What you look for is what is looking

Bubba - yeah you can say that again.  I have been going over Paul and Matty's travelog of Hawaii  and there are so many new palms that I never knew about.  

I'd love to try growing the Pinaga Aristata and the Geonoma Epetiolata.

But Fairchilds does have the only mature specimens some of my favorite palms  outside of their natural habitat --particularly a lot of the Cuban Palms (coccothrinax Boridiana, Copernicia Baileyana, Fallaensis and Macroglossa).

Also since Fairchilds is around 70 years old you really get to see large mature specimens of all sorts of palms and plants

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Awesome thread Gene!  I know you had a good time...  I can imagine you were giddy like a kid in a candy store, running around wide eyed and drooling at all the scrumtious treats!  Thanks for sharing your photos with us!  I prefer the C. macroglossa with the skirts on too!

:cool:

Bill, You are a young guy. When you get my age,you prefer looking up the skirt!Being a dirty old man has it's just rewards!

What you look for is what is looking

Bubba- I think Bill and I prefer lookin up the skirt of the human sort.  For palms the skirt look best when they are on :P  

Will - I had a grand time!!  The fist day (only had 2 hours) was actually panicky for me.  Palm overload and everything was a blur.  Good thing I took a lot of pictures.  Remember that I did not even spot the mapu at the conservatoty ( thanks for pointing out where it was by the way).

Saturday was for the whole day and was much more relaxed - Plus I met Jeff and Ryan in the sale.

Too bad I was not able to go back that Sunday.  I would have liked to have met you in person- just to say 'hi" and exchange notes on germinating seeds.

More pitures tomorrow-  I had to take work home tonight :(

Gene

Manila, Philippines

BUBBA!!!  You dirty old man!  Stay on topic!  

If we are gonna talk about females' skirts, we are gonna need to take the conversation to the Ohanannanaan NEWWWEEEEEIIII!!!!

:cool:

Closer look at the big aloe.  

I just want to let you guys know that I did not have time to take the names of these plants as this was already near closing time at Fairchilds--plus I don't know anything about succulents so can't identify most if not all of these.

But I am sure there are forum member here that know a thing or two about these intriguing plants

post-1017-1196860403_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines