IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fairchild Botanical Gardens

Gbarce

Alocasia Sarian.  This plant comes from my country.  I think its named for Zac Sarian a local plant authority who has weekly newspaper features on Gardening and Agriculture

post-1017-1196263845_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Wow... gorgeous! Definitely on my list of places to visit. Can anyone id the groundcover on post #41?

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

(doubravsky @ Nov. 28 2007,08:38)

Wow... gorgeous! Definitely on my list of places to visit. Can anyone id the groundcover on post #41?

Dave, I think that is Tradescantia zebrina.

Gene -- thanks for the shots -- more coming?  I have to get to Fairchild someday, what a huge place.  That lacey anthirium is wonderful.

I know it's just a slip of the keyboard, but that first photo is Alcantarea odorata, not alocasia.  You knew that...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

(Gbarce @ Nov. 28 2007,10:16)

Attention e-bay bidders- here's a pretty nice birds nest type anthurium

Again, it was great meeting you that weekend at the palm sale. It looks like you really made around through the garden.

Thats a pretty Anthurium in your picture, but it's not Anth. superbum, which is what people were bidding against and was over $3,000 when sold on Ebay recently. Thanks for the great pics.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Kim- yes that's what I meant :P   Please take note that I am still jet lagged.

Jeff - Meeting you was great but much too brief.You know what I didn't get a picture with you in my camera--something to do for next time.

on teh anthurium--yup I know I am just trying to bait people to the other varieties of anthuriums.  Since I was gone vendors here are saying that its died down a bit.  

More pictures to come-- including Anthurium Superbum that Jeff is referring to.  People on ebay are bidding $3000 for those suckers!!!

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

A big leafed Philodendron.  I don't have anything there for scale but this leaf I would say is about 3 feet from top to bottom

post-1017-1196324992_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

For Gina (Metalfan)  Salacca Magnifica.  Really wicked specimen here.  I was so huge that I couldn't get an angle that would show the whole palm.  So I just took shots of the stalks and petioles.

post-1017-1196325404_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Another one of my favorite anthuriums-- Anthurium Vietchii aka King Anthurium.  Nope this is still not the $3000 variety yet.

post-1017-1196326192_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines