IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Croton and Palm Collection,Key West,Florida

Jeff Searle

Valkaria Gardens (of southern Brevard County, Fla.) had a nice croton display at the Vero Beach Gardenfest sale this weekend.  Their spread was at the entrance and very attractively laid out, so I suspect more crotons will be popping up around here.   This year's Gardenfest looks like it was a big success.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 9 months later...

I missed this thread before. I'm glad that it was bumped. Really enjoyable.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Judy is standing under her very proudly grown Caryota ophiopellis. It's been planted only a few short years, was approaching 9' in height and was flawless. This has been a palm that I can't seem to grow in the ground where we live. This was nice to see!

Jeff

Jeff,

What do you think is the trick for growing this palm here. I hope that its high ph solid rock that drains well and some canopy, If so Ive got the perfect place for it. I have heard other growers also say that zebrina is slower but an easier plant to grow.

JC

Jeff, it never ceases to amaze me how you know all these cultivars. fantastic. To me, so many of the crotons with the same leaf shape and size look the same. This is a fantastic collection. Great rare palms as well.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

To me, so many of the crotons with the same leaf shape and size look the same.

A trained eye can see the difference. I used to say the same thing about some Neoregelia bromeliads.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Judy is standing under her very proudly grown Caryota ophiopellis. It's been planted only a few short years, was approaching 9' in height and was flawless. This has been a palm that I can't seem to grow in the ground where we live. This was nice to see!

Jeff

Jeff,

What do you think is the trick for growing this palm here. I hope that its high ph solid rock that drains well and some canopy, If so Ive got the perfect place for it. I have heard other growers also say that zebrina is slower but an easier plant to grow.

Jeff,

Your absolutely right. High ph, pure rock with a steady water supply and overhead canopy. Years ago, I would of thought just the opposite. This is a palm I still can't figure out. But Judy and Jim's is just growing perfectly down there. It's stunning!

Back in the nursery, I have problems with them when they get about 3' tall in a 3 gallon size pot.

And yes, I'm having great sucess with Zebrina. In the ground, it's about 8' tall now and it's been in about 5 years or so. They are soooo slow though, but still worth the wait.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, it never ceases to amaze me how you know all these cultivars. fantastic. To me, so many of the crotons with the same leaf shape and size look the same. This is a fantastic collection. Great rare palms as well.

Thanks, but to be perfectly honest, I still have to ask alot of times to make sure. I have seen alot of crotons over the years growing in a wide range of areas, but to see Jim and Judy's plants are about the best your ever going to see. These pictures don't even come close. High ph limestone rock with very little sand, a drip line for water to each plant, mulch and they are almost all perfectly grown as a group. Large leaves, great color, strong stems, etc.

Ray......I hope you can get down there one day. (or have you been by there already?) If not, be ready!

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks, but to be perfectly honest, I still have to ask alot of times to make sure. I have seen alot of crotons over the years growing in a wide range of areas, but to see Jim and Judy's plants are about the best your ever going to see. These pictures don't even come close. High ph limestone rock with very little sand, a drip line for water to each plant, mulch and they are almost all perfectly grown as a group. Large leaves, great color, strong stems, etc.

Ray......I hope you can get down there one day. (or have you been by there already?) If not, be ready!

Jeff

Jeff, do they get some (or all) of their crotons from you? If not, where do they find such variety. I find it hard to believe that Home Depot, even in the Keys, has such a selection.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I've got to post photos of my crotons over the long upcoming weekend. This in case next week does take a turn for the worse.

I've got to post photos of my crotons over the long upcoming weekend. This in case next week does take a turn for the worse.

uhhm Ray, so where is your post!

I'm late, sorry. Thanksgiving Day weekend got busy. I'll try again this weekend.

Jeff

Jeff, do they get some (or all) of their crotons from you? If not, where do they find such variety. I find it hard to believe that Home Depot, even in the Keys, has such a selection.

Yes, they get most of all their varieties from me. Anyone that starts to look for different crotons, has to seek out collectors or go to croton society meetings to find different varieties. HD stores usually only carry about 5 different ones. Judy usually gets my first offered varieties when I have them to offer. Not only is it a good back-up plant in case I loose mine, but also they grow so good for Judy and Jim and she is very passionate about her collection as well.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Um...what about me? :drool:

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

• 2 weeks later...

I know, I know, I'll try again this weekend.

Borgy,

Give Ray a chance, I think he's still pretty busy with his wife Miriam, he's still considered "newly" married. Right Ray? :lol:

You know, if we can draggggggggggged this topic out a little longer (ha-ha), I'll be passing through near their house soon and start all over again with some new, fresh pictures of their garden. :lol:

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Borgy,

Give Ray a chance, I think he's still pretty busy with his wife Miriam, he's still considered "newly" married. Right Ray? :lol:

You know, if we can draggggggggggged this topic out a little longer (ha-ha), I'll be passing through near their house soon and start all over again with some new, fresh pictures of their garden. :lol:

Jeff

I was encouraged by a member of the croton society to keep bugging him about this :)

Another try this weekend, I promise.

I know how many,many members on this forum are hoping for a palm or two, even a new specie of a cycad for Christmas, but has anyone put down on their "Christmas Wish List" a variety of a croton? Maybe a Freckles, Polychrome, or the very rare Richard Krukonis..... I know I wouldn't mind finding a new one under the tree on Christmas morning. :)

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

You guys are brutal. Manana I will do it.

good thing we have another long weekend coming up!

:lol::lol::lol: and some more :lol: I think I smell an open can of worms somewhere.

I would love to post some pics. of my crotons, but I need to open an account with Photobucket. I hate the thumbnail size pictures. H E L P !!

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 3 weeks later...

I will help you Jeffy

Ray, dude, come on! photos, donde, where? maybe I need to come up there and document it all myself? haha.

Jeff...Photobucket is soo easy....just click Join.

Rob...i need help from you or Judy to see what i have...and see what i should have

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

• 3 years later...

Jeff, Thanks for the pictures of the Glock's garden in the Keys. BTW this is the first time I have seen this thread and it is over 3yrs old.

Edited by Tampa Scott

I'm visiting the Glock's next weekend, I've been there before & their plants are just freaks. :mrlooney:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Scott - thank you for bumping this thread! This is the first I've seen it. B)

I've recieved some crotons as gifts from the Glocks over the years, good to see the Momma plants from 2007. :drool:

Ray - good to see you finally got around to posting photos of your crotons. :bemused:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I'm visiting the Glock's next weekend, I've been there before & their plants are just freaks. :mrlooney:

Randy, Please get us pictures.

Scott - thank you for bumping this thread! This is the first I've seen it. B)

I've recieved some crotons as gifts from the Glocks over the years, good to see the Momma plants from 2007. :drool:

Ray - good to see you finally got around to posting photos of your crotons. :bemused:

Moose, If we are going to see Rays crotons we are going to need to drop by his place. Lets do a tour of Ray"s soon. Ray?

Ray - if you are still looking for Magnificent, Jeff may have a couple kicking around the nursery now. :winkie:

Put me on the list for a Magnificent!!

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B