IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

***California Freeze Warning - NWS***

gavilan1

(BS @ Man about Palms,Nov. 24 2007,09:22)

Yuck!  39F at my house in Oceanside right now!

Wow Bill, it amazes that your that cold tonight while Encinitas a few miles from you is reporting 53F at midnight.  Current temps in my yard reads 56 with predicted low of 46 from weather.com but not sure if it will quite get that low

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Ohh a balmy 41+F this morning at the same time.  Hey, its better!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It's also 41 F and thin overcast in Walnut Creek. Lots better than the 30 or 31F yesterday with crystal clear skys. After two mornings of light frosts, my Abiseanen banana is wilting. It's the first thing to go. Just as well, as it's blocking my Para. T V T from some afternoon sun.

Dick

Richard Douglas

(Don_L @ Nov. 25 2007,00:08)

Wow Bill, it amazes that your that cold tonight while Encinitas a few miles from you is reporting 53F at midnight.  Current temps in my yard reads 56 with predicted low of 46 from weather.com but not sure if it will quite get that low

Yeah, amazes me too.  :(

I think I'm just close enough to the coast to not get real warm during the day, BUT not close enough to get its full influence overnight. :(

Of course, I could just hope that all my thermometers are off and I'm 5F degrees warmer!  :D

I will add, I did get a very noticeable example of "elevation" relative to temp last night.  "Jeff from Trabuco Canyon" was here about 8pm or so and we were looking at my stuff with flashlights.  It was quite cool already, I think 57F in my "low point" back yard. As I continued the tour, we went up on the upstairs deck on my unfinished deck, roughly 18-20 feet above the "low" point. we both noted how much warmer it was (and NOT standing next to the house, the deck is 20'x 26').

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I didnt bring anything inside thanksgiving week. I was away  in Seattle area, and I come back and my lowest temp was 33.1F. Whats up with that? Thankfully, nothing. Had all 4 bottles outside. gulp. Gotta be more aware.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

(BS, Man about Palms @ Nov. 25 2007,11:40)

(Don_L @ Nov. 25 2007,00:08)

Yeah, amazes me too.  :(

I think I'm just close enough to the coast to not get real warm during the day, BUT not close enough to get its full influence overnight. :(

Of course, I could just hope that all my thermometers are off and I'm 5F degrees warmer!  :D

I will add, I did get a very noticeable example of "elevation" relative to temp last night.  "Jeff from Trabuco Canyon" was here about 8pm or so and we were looking at my stuff with flashlights.  It was quite cool already, I think 57F in my "low point" back yard. As I continued the tour, we went up on the upstairs deck on my unfinished deck, roughly 18-20 feet above the "low" point. we both noted how much warmer it was (and NOT standing next to the house, the deck is 20'x 26').

Check your thermometers and if they were correct  then maybe you can just raise your back yard 18-20 ft to be even with your deck :D.  

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for any of us.  Last year seemed pretty mild untill all of a sudden we got hammered in January.

USDA Zone 10a

(Don_L @ Nov. 25 2007,16:34)

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for any of us.  Last year seemed pretty mild untill all of a sudden we got hammered in January.

Well, if that's the indicator, then we should have a warm winter since our November was freezing as he**. Our January should be 90 with the flip flop.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Last year we had a cold snap Nov 30-Dec 2, and another one in mid-December. I saw lows between 30-33F maybe 6 times. Those events were Santa Anas, meaning our highs were in the upper 70s on the same days.

This November has been way colder than usual, but without the normal Santa Anas the lows were higher than average.

Are we going to get rain in the forecaste for the rest of 2007?

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(osideterry @ Nov. 25 2007,22:40)

This November has been way colder than usual, but without the normal Santa Anas the lows were higher than average.

It almost seems like climate reversals for us.  This November has actually been warmer than normal for us at least for the night time lows. Our November average low is 49 but up untill the last 3 or 4 days it has been in the mid 50's with only 1 or 2 days in the 40's untill now.  but we all know what happened in January so I don't really feel safe.  Currently 57 with low tonight forecasted at 45.

USDA Zone 10a

Tend to agree with Don that November hasn't been particularly cold [ & like October will probably be just a bit cooler than the normal [74F/54F] but there are still a few days left.

Sorry about the scare in quoting the weather discussion from San Francisco last Saturday.  There appears to be signals of colder air transportation by next weekend but the models continue to down grade any Arctic airmass or rain, unfortunately.

In-fact a La Nina-like pattern appears to be setting in w/ little if any rainfall into mid-December  :o  & periods of dry off-shore winds into next week.  The concern is the fairly recent/periodic presence of modified Arctic air into the PacificNW [too close for comfort  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Another update on the possibility of cold air advection into California  :o

The computer models are struggling in pinpointing the movement of 2 systems that could affect SoCal.  A cut-off low off the Baja coast is forecast to move inland starting tomorrow.  This, of-course, is tropical and could provide rainfall especially for San Diego county [we hope.

The cold north Pacific storms continue to remain locked in over Washington/Oregon but there is a good chance that a system could move quickly down the coast into California this weekend.  The likelihood of rain isn't very impressive but the cold air behind the front could drop temps significantly.  Overnight lows in the 40's [and 30's inland] are being forecast for several nights starting Saturday.  Freezing temps appear remote but certain windless inland areas may experience frost.

Next week should return to the dry & warm offshore flow.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I was in Reno on Monday and Tuesday and watched a weak cold front slide past with no moisture, only virga to the north. I have never seen the mountains so bare this time of the year...no snow at all and they look bleak.

For about the last 10 days the nightly temps. in Walnut Creek have been dipping down to the mid to low 30's but not freezing yet, but close to it. I noticed some tomato plants had been nipped on the tips, but that's about it. It's getting VERY DRY here.

Dick

Richard Douglas

R A I N ! ! ! :D  (Its happening right now :)  )

What's happening?

There is water coming from the sky!!!

Is it the end of the world?????

The sky is falling!!!

( when exactly did this happen last around here in the barren desert?)

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Looks like an inch or so today. I have a Lake out near my green house. (I forgot it slopes towards the garage and I'll need to move soil back there someday)