IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC Lotusland trip

BS Man about Palms

OK, heres the tour.  :D

Enourmous Cycads, great setting and weather, NO people!

lotuslandtrip015.jpg

Those are Encephalartos Woodii that are those monsters in the back!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

OK that's it.   I hope that's enough, it was for me.  :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hi,

Very nice picture, very impressive Encephalartos and good landscape design.

Don´t you have more pictures? From another angle...

Regards,

Carlos

great pic but grammatically challenged.

& its of cycads.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Well,

I was mostly teasing, but tired too.   Sorry Paul, there will end up being a lot of cycads!  For those of you who don't know, Lotus land is a private garden started(or I should say "continued by") a one time

flamboyant opera singer.   A good history and info is here.  

http://www.latimes.com/feature....edition

But, generally it is a 37 acre wonderfull garden that you have to have reservations to enter and have docent led tours that only take you to part of the places.

We had free run of the place, almost anywhere we wanted to go. !

I seem to have trouble remembering to take people and architecture pics, maybe Bob can post some. Heres a bit before I go to work.

After you leave the entrance/ gift shop, around the bend is the "tropical area". It had lots of epiphylums, but none in bloom. :(

lotuslandtrip005.jpg

The day had a light overcast, so it made this area little darker than I suppose it normally is.

lotuslandtrip006.jpg

Tropicals amongst the Oaks...

lotuslandtrip007.jpg

lotuslandtrip008.jpg

Bob said this was a "non-fruiting banana"?

lotuslandtrip009.jpg

Bob and I spied this as we were leaving the tropical area, but neither of us knew what it was and couldn't find a label.  

Anyone know?

lotuslandtrip010.jpg

Next up, Cycads.

Ganna apparently hocked a lot of her jewelery in the early 70's to start an incredible cycad garden. I didn't take a pic of "everyone" just some that caught my eye....until I was overwhelmed by the number.. and variety.

Many a comment a comment was made by us about Paul if he was here. Some thing along the lines "he would trip, fall and hurt himself trying to run and escape the Cycads..."

lotuslandtrip011.jpg

Most were very large, I noticed I took several pics of the smaller ones...

lotuslandtrip012.jpg

I love the leaf arrangement here...

lotuslandtrip013.jpg

just curious what language the subtitle of this thread is in? ???  :D

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(pohonkelapa @ Nov. 19 2007,13:04)

just curious what language the subtitle of this thread is in? ???  :D

Just like it reads man.....don't be a hater.. :P

Just be a snarker.

More- Very cool.

I have most of what I snapped pics of.  (I'll never tell what I'm missing... :D )

lotuslandtrip014.jpg

OK, it was at this point that this jumped into view.   (Yes, you've seen it)

lotuslandtrip015.jpg

See, I wasn't lying.....

lotuslandtrip016.jpg

These here are some rare cones I think....

lotuslandtrip017.jpg

Mostly since they are attached to a Woodii ......

Enc. caffer

lotuslandtrip018.jpg

lotuslandtrip019.jpg

"Enc dontknowcantremember"

Here is a Horrid Horridus......

lotuslandtrip021.jpg

Not to be confused with the beautiful Horridus....!!

lotuslandtrip022.jpg

lotuslandtrip023.jpg

See what I mean? !!!

lotuslandtrip024.jpg

This one is running hard for "Most beautiful cycad" from my observation.

Its a Ferox. It has color. :D

lotuslandtrip025.jpg

Another pretty one....

I think "humilis" ?  Is it a "hirsutus" ?

lotuslandtrip026.jpg

You tell me......

lotuslandtrip027.jpg

Another "notsure"

lotuslandtrip020.jpg

scratch that, look for yourself. :D

Off to the side, I spy some seeds..

lotuslandtrip028.jpg

Attached to a stand of Jubeopsis Caffra... .

lotuslandtrip029.jpg

But the  other Caffra was used for photo ops......  :D :D

lotuslandtrip030.jpg

I have to say this Cycad was very helpful in my trying to identify it as a female.......

lotuslandtrip031.jpg

But then again....

it kinda depends on which part of town you're in..  . . :P

lotuslandtrip032.jpg

"palms to the left of me....

lotuslandtrip033.jpg

pots to the right of me......

lotuslandtrip034.jpg

stuck in the middle with you.... "

I will speak for Paul when I say if I see one more picture of a frickin cycad I will go to your house and plant all those potted palms.

San Marcos CA

(Shon @ Nov. 19 2007,19:00)

I will speak for Paul when I say if I see one more picture of a frickin cycad I will go to your house and plant all those potted palms.

It may may make you happy to know we have departed the Cycad garden......  :P

Great looking cycads - especially those E. horridus!! Last time I was there was probably in 1994 when PSSC also had a tour there. Quite a place! :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks Bill, now I have Michael Madsen cutting off that guys ear stuck in my head... again.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Bill,   hope ya don't mind I tag along on your post,   but wait   I did tag along with you :D

Here's some shots from my lens.

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

more palms, less bombs!