IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC Lotusland trip

BS Man about Palms

Bill has a new friend.

IMG_2045.jpg

nice Sabal, bill liked it too.

img_2078.jpg

Bill thinks the leafs on this plant keep growing and growing . sorry for the poor picture, it was behind glass.

does anyone know of this plant or what it is?

IMG_2080.jpg

more palms, less bombs!

Nice additions Bob. I would like to find out what that last plant is in the previous post is...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here we enter the shade garden with lots of Chamadorea's..

lotuslandtrip035.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

They added these waterworn sandstone rocks as a whimsical accent.

lotuslandtrip036.jpg

Umm, Bob in a candid moment

lotuslandtrip037.jpg

Soon after I snapped this, we heard a docent say "when kids come here they see cartoons and clouds in the rocks...the adults see body parts.. "

Need we say more? :P

Depth perception.

lotuslandtrip038.jpg

I kept expecting the faeries to come out to play...

lotuslandtrip039.jpg

Now thats a Brom!!! (shoe for scale)

lotuslandtrip042.jpg

A multi-multi-multi headed Robelinii!

lotuslandtrip041.jpg

More "accent"...

lotuslandtrip043.jpg

And HERES what its "accenting.. "!

lotuslandtrip045.jpg

lotuslandtrip044.jpg

Bob and I ran like little girls.......

lotuslandtrip046.jpg

Then we saw there were more! :D

lotuslandtrip047.jpg

Most of them wore their silver/blue hair with pride. :D

lotuslandtrip048.jpg

Nice pics guys but are there any Lotus there ?

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Bob gets carried away demonstrating his super human palm splitting powers. :(

lotuslandtrip049.jpg

Whereever you look, you see Jubeas hiding in the background.  (Its not easy for them  to hide! )

lotuslandtrip050.jpg

I never did get a Lotus pic. I think Bob did.  I believe the "Lotus" part was more of an "aura" than a collection.

(Palmgrover @ Nov. 20 2007,20:22)

Bill thinks the leafs on this plant keep growing and growing . sorry for the poor picture, it was behind glass.

IMG_2080.jpg

I think it's a Welwitschia mirabilis from Namibia...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

I'd nominate these two pics for the photocontest.  I don't remember any photocontest shots w/ people in them but Bob's emotion in these photos really shines through and adds to them.

lotuslandtrip030.jpg

Jubilant Jubeopsis

lotuslandtrip046.jpg

True Love, a man and his palm. ???

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Fab tour, I like the place, those Jubes, wowza. I wonder how old they be.

Thanks guys.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks Matt,  We missed you and Paul and your witty  

banter.

However when you say"True Love, a man and his palm. " I think of being alone with alone with some adult

entertanment. :P

more palms, less bombs!

(elHoagie @ Nov. 21 2007,10:10)

(Palmgrover @ Nov. 20 2007,20:22)

IMG_2080.jpg

I think it's a Welwitschia mirabilis from Namibia...

Yeah Jack! Thats it! Thanks!

Its an oddity alright.........  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welwitschia

Bob is always a worthy subject!

Wal- I believe those Jubeas were planted at the turn of the century.

Heres another view of the Lotus pond. I think it was supposed to be a pool...then it had issues. :(

lotuslandtrip051.jpg

Our man Bob in quiet reflection of happiness.......

lotuslandtrip067.jpg

The other pool.  Sharp shells getting in and out :P

lotuslandtrip052.jpg

lotuslandtrip053.jpg

• Upvote 2

These Jubeas would make a good "Verizon commercial" with the "5 bars"

lotuslandtrip054.jpg

lotuslandtrip055.jpg

I like the "Giant" comparison here. Jubea versus Phoenix

• Upvote 3

Another giant, just not a palm. :(

lotuslandtrip057.jpg

• Upvote 1

The really big yard.....

lotuslandtrip056.jpg

It even had UFO's in one area. :P

lotuslandtrip058.jpg

But I have to say, they made me think of Jellyfish!

• Upvote 1

They have a fairly new cactus garden. Here are some pictures of some blooms with a bee in it,and what it looked llike if you are over 40 and had your face about 5 inches away.

Glad I could make it seem realistic for us "older gen"

lotuslandtrip059.jpg

lotuslandtrip060.jpg

Repeat the above steps, minus the bee.

lotuslandtrip063.jpg

lotuslandtrip062.jpg

Gettin a little better.  Had enough?

So have I.

lotuslandtrip061.jpg

Let's move onwards

Our stunning subject once again puts all he has into displaying the Dracena.

lotuslandtrip065.jpg

And, as usual, some Jubea are trying to hide in the thick of it.  :D

lotuslandtrip066.jpg

Ooops,

Forgot one.

lotuslandtrip064.jpg

Be nice, its parents loved it.

(BS, Man about Palms @ Nov. 19 2007,18:28)

Not to be confused with the beautiful Horridus....!!

lotuslandtrip022.jpg

I see someone's hind quarters and this spikey cycad - ouch!!!!

Bill and Bob - these pics are spectacular. The overcast conditions seemed to cast an etheral mood- just right for the Jubeas to come seeking their prey.... :o

• Upvote 1

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

• 8 years later...

Bumpity bump

• 1 month later...