IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Indoor Miniature Palms

bkdidit

To All,

I am thinking of purchasing a miniature Palm Tree, for indoor enjoyment. They are about 14-16" Tall. They come in a 10" clay bowl about 4" deep. The tree is planted in soil about 3 1/2 '' Deep and topped off with smaller than pea sized stone........ Can anyone offer me any tips for caring for this tree. Watering and/ or feeding requirements - and what is the lowest temperature  this tree can tolerate. I live in the Northeast - and would like to keep it out on the deck during the few weeks of warm weather we have left. Thanks to everyone,

Bob K.

Robert C Keller

miniature Palm Tree,

Crap.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hey Aussie,

Why bother with that moronic reply. Go have another Foster's - and may your shrimp burn on the barby,

BK

• Upvote 1

Robert C Keller

Hi Robert, welcome to the forum!  Ehem, I think what Wal means to say is:  Do you know the name of the specific tree or is it just labled "Tropical Foliage" or something generic like that?  There are many possibilities as to what palm this is and care can differ between species.  As a general rule, if this is being sold as a houseplant at a Home Depot, Supermarket, Target, Walmart, etc. then keep it in a bright, indirect light situation and keep the soil moist.  Make sure the pot has holes and is allowed to drain.  I'm sure it would love the warmth and humidity outdoors just keep an eye on how much direct sun it's getting as many of these houseplant palms will burn severely.  A patio that gets only early morning sun is usually fine.  Feed it lightly during the warm months.  As for cold hariness, I don't know which palm you got but don't leave it outside if your night temps drop below 50F.  Hope that helps a little.  Good luck.  Maybe it's a Dypsis lutescens???? :D

post-126-1155935515_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matty,

I was only giving a little razz to our friend Wal - No harm intended........Anyway, thanks for the tips. The palm actually looks like a mini palm as far as the trunk and bark go. The fronds are numerous, and grow from the top only. They are also single strands, thin and range in length from about 4-8". Any other advice based on this more detailed description - would be appreciated. ..... You, too - Wal !! Thanks again,

BK

Robert C Keller