IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who is Palmbob?

BigFrond

I've seen his name all over the internet and really enjoy his pictures and comments.  He posted many pictures especially in Dave's Garden.  I think he was born with a camera attached to his hand. :D

i've been wondering the same thing.he's got some great pics on webshots but stopped adding anything in 2005 or so...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

His name is Geoff Stein. Palm Bob I believe is the little cartoon Character he developed for the Southern California Chapter of the IPS Palm journal. There used to be a link from PACSOF's webpage  to palm and cycad cartoons.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

mystery solved.just like scooby doo.

still "warning-free."

Geoff has been known to post here ocasionally.  His contributions to Daves Garden are very usefull, especially to us So Cal guys.  Also, his efforts in the Palms for So Cal Handbook is an awesome resource. I've never met him though.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Geoff is a great guy and knows what will grow in Cal. better than anyone. If you live in Cal. and don't know about the Palms for So Cal Handbook, you are missing out on the source for what you can and can not grow. And no, I have never seen him without a camera.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

his illustrations are simply the best! he's elusive--i'm going to set up a motion-activated "camera trap" near some palms to get a picture of HIM :D

still "warning-free."

Geoff,

Your cover is really blown now.  :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

If you're reading this Geoff (palmbob), I can understand you. I can't go downstairs without at least thinking about a photo or two.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(pohonkelapa @ Aug. 18 2006,14:53)

He would've gotten away with it if it wasn'y for those darn kids.

• Upvote 1

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I think the funniest thing about PalmBob's entries on Davesgarden.com is the way Kyle completely opposes Geoff on every entry of palms that simply won't grow here in Southern California. I wish Kyle was right on most of these, but.....

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

(epicure3 @ Aug. 18 2006,16:16)

(pohonkelapa @ Aug. 18 2006,14:53)

He would've gotten away with it if it wasn'y for those darn kids.

Those medling kids! :D

Monster behind door....

Scooby:  Rits fer you

Shaggy:  Zoinks!

Monster:  arrrrrrrrrrrrr :o

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Geoff's a great guy, and a truly excellent artist.  He has a true knack for making line drawings that capture the essence of the palms, and shows everyone they're not "all the same" in appearance.

He's in Thousand Oaks, which is a challenging place to raise tropical palms.  He's had a much harder time with, say, Dictyosperma than I've had.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The classic Scooby-doo ending!

:laugh:

Randy

Chandler, Arizona

USDA Hardiness Zone 9b(Warming to 10a)

Lowest Temps (usually) in the upper 20's

(Freeze of '07 lowest temp was 18dF)

Highest temps (usually) in the triple digit teens

Geoff Stein contributed some excellent drawings of palm parts to An Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms (pp 510, 511)

D.

Diane

East of Seattle & Lake Washington

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Ive seen lots of his entries on Daves Garden, nd i believe i have him on my favourite members list in Webshots, but why isnt he on here!!

;)

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

I love Palmbob.His journals on Davesgarden are great reading.Whatever palm you can think of he has a picture of.He also does cycads,  succulents,plants and bamboo.Loves working in the yard and really pushes his zone.Growing palms that have no reason growing where he lives.

Shon

San Marcos CA

He was on the old forum, before it went kerflooey.

As (blare of trumpets, roll of tympani) . . .. . .

Palm Bob!  

Who'd have guessed??

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

OK, don't take this the wrong way - but some of these convo's sound like the "men of the square table" commercials on TV.

We went from - "Who is Palm Bob"

To Scooby-Doo

and back to "He's known as Palm Bob from the old post"

(with trumpets)

I know I'm not contributing to this post at the moment, other than to say that I enjoy the humor that naturally occurs sometimes.

:)

Randy

Chandler, Arizona

USDA Hardiness Zone 9b(Warming to 10a)

Lowest Temps (usually) in the upper 20's

(Freeze of '07 lowest temp was 18dF)

Highest temps (usually) in the triple digit teens

• 2 years later...
I love Palmbob.His journals on Davesgarden are great reading...

For those not familiar with Dave's Garden, HERE'S a link to Geoff's articles.

His latest entry (today) is about Pauleen Sullivan's palm gardens in Ventura and Hawaii.

PalmBob is a guy who knows alot about palms, and has put alot into Daves garden to help new palm growers as well as hobbyists. I prefer palmtalk as a board due to the vast membership with so many experienced growers in different conditions, with features such as real cold tolerance experiences including photos and discussion. But I cannot deny that PalmBob has been a big contributor to a great source of quickly accessible species information at that other site.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Thanks Palmbob, you're pretty much a household name around here.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

wow... just saw this thread. That would be me. Though there are 'immatation' Palmbobs about.

We're gonna need to see some ID to verify your identity. While you're at it, we'll need your birthday, social security, name of your first dog, paternal grandmother's maiden name and your first grade teacher's favorite fruit. Just standard stuff. ;)

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

wow... just saw this thread. That would be me. Though there are 'immatation' Palmbobs about.

We're gonna need to see some ID to verify your identity. While you're at it, we'll need your birthday, social security, name of your first dog, paternal grandmother's maiden name and your first grade teacher's favorite fruit. Just standard stuff. ;)

:floor:

:greenthumb: I love his images!

Marcel

Between Dave's Garden and the SoCal handbook, Geoff/Palmbob was my main source of info when I first got into palms. I've now gone through 3 copies of the SoCal guide.

Strangely, for all the photos he's posted, and all the information delivered, I've never met Geoff or even seen a photo. I'm also intensely curious to see the cartoon character Zac mentioned 3 years ago in Past #3.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Here is a link to some of Geoff's killer cartoons, They are hilarious. I was loosing it reading them. I fit at least 99% of the images.

Bob you have amazing talent.

Bob, the self annointed Master Gardener

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Since photos of me are few and far between, I just happened to have a self portrait of me and my sisters (I'm the one in the middle) I did in pastel a few years back (in a crib)

post-426-1248060444_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Geoff is a great guy and knows what will grow in Cal. better than anyone. If you live in Cal. and don't know about the Palms for So Cal Handbook, you are missing out on the source for what you can and can not grow. And no, I have never seen him without a camera.

Incidentally, I have pretty much found that if Geoff says it will or will not grow it California, it will or will not grow in the Mediterranean region!

• Upvote 1

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

Since photos of me are few and far between, I just happened to have a self portrait of me and my sisters (I'm the one in the middle) I did in pastel a few years back (in a crib)

Wow Geoff - your sisters are really hot! Are thet single? :drool:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

are they lower in fat and triglycerides?

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Here is a link to some of Geoff's killer cartoons, They are hilarious. I was loosing it reading them. I fit at least 99% of the images.

Bob you have amazing talent.

Bob, the self annointed Master Gardener

Wow, great cartoons, I've been a member of Davesgarden, for four years, and I had no idea he was a cartoonist, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Nice to see you again Geoff! Er, PalmBob . . . .

Did you ever manage to get rid of the morning glories in TO?

Or did you move and leave that to the new owner?

Just curious. . . .

"new" owner is old wife... and I hope the morning glory is rampant... sadly all my palms and cycads still there (if not dead by now), too.