IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A New Cold Front Sweeps Through

_Keith

Another quickie front will bring ours lows to 38 tonight in So. Louisiana.  This is colder than normal for us, but not severe.  These early cold snaps start the harden off process for us, so I don't mind them at all.  It is back to the 80s again in a few days, but I was out eating some Citrus off the tree and all I can say is brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Wow, Keith, that's cold.  We're only getting into the mid 50's here in H-town.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

It's 53 right now going down to about 44 tonight.  Cool, but tolerable.  Back into the mid 70s and nice tomorrow.  Weather.com has Houston going down to 42 tonight.

Back in the 80s in a couple days, so looks like a brief coold down.

Jim

Here's what Weatherunderground has for my zip.  I'm 25 miles south of the airport (and amongst the concrete jungle) from where the "official" temp is reported:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin....y=77098

Steve

Yeah, don't know if I can trust the weather reports for Houston if they are using Intercontinental.  That's way north of town out in the middle of nowhere.

It was 56 degrees F. this morning with highs today only in the seventies.This is what we live for down here!

What you look for is what is looking

Speak for yourself bubba!  I'm shivering like a madman today!  I don't like this much cold... I May actually have to give in and go purchase a pair of pants this year...

I like my weather like I like my girlfriends...  1animated18-thumb.gif

The past few days have had highs around 30C (85F) and lows around 20C (70F), but I woke up this morning to thick fog and 13C (55F).  I guess the cooldown is everywhere in the US...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Chill chilly chilly around most areas of FL this AM.

It was 46.8F at my house for the low at 720AM.

Other stations reported----

Tampa AP - 45F

Clearwater AP - 46F

Orlando - 45F

St. Petersburg - 50F

West Palm Beach - 52F

Ft Lauderdale - 55F

Miami - 57F

Key West - 66F

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Just got back from warm Austin to SoFla to freeze my a** off! It was 51 last night, still only 57 at 9AM. Got to put my parka and jeans on to load the truck for The Ramble. Sure would rather do it in shorts and no shirt!! I feel like I'm in SoCal in the Winter. Brrrr!!

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Got down to 53F at my place this morning. Beautiful, but too cool for my blood as well. I brought my Pigafetta seedlings in last night, as I wasn't sure if they could take this kind of cold. They're only about 3 or 4 inches tall. Knowing that we actually got down to 53F, I'm glad I did. I know the odds are against me, in getting one of these to grow out in the yard, but once they're a little bigger, I'm going to try. I'll put it in the warmest protected spot I can find and baby the heck out of it. We'll see.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 16 2007,09:31)

Chill chilly chilly around most areas of FL this AM.

It was 46.8F at my house for the low at 720AM.

Other stations reported----

Tampa AP - 45F

Clearwater AP - 46F

Orlando - 45F

St. Petersburg - 50F

West Palm Beach - 52F

Ft Lauderdale - 55F

Miami - 57F

Key West - 66F

I don't feel so cold and alone now! If I'm only six degrees cooler that Miami, despite being 70mi north and almost 20 mi further inland, I can't complain, though I'm still putting on the  Winter clothes...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Bill, Your just a dirty guy! I would like to hear that story about the bank robber.... all pertaining to your avatar!You know you like this weather for a change.

What you look for is what is looking

Hit 35.0 at my place in downtown Natchez this morning, dodged the bullet...though the airport NE of here in the countryside hit 30 and airport stations all around the region, from Alexandria, LA to Hammond, LA, Mobile Regional (not downtown), Tallahassee, etc. all recorded sub-freezing temps, though dewpoints were not met so actual frost was not an issue in the majority of areas (one wild exception: Vicksburg/Tallulah airport at Mound, LA: 24F and two hours of freezing fog!). We're warming up into the upper 60s and 70s today but now they're talking about some cold-wave coming down at the end of next week...yikes!!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

(mnorell @ Nov. 16 2007,10:52)

Hit 35.0 at my place in downtown Natchez this morning, dodged the bullet...though the airport NE of here in the countryside hit 30 and airport stations all around the region, from Alexandria, LA to Hammond, LA, Mobile Regional (not downtown), Tallahassee, etc. all recorded sub-freezing temps, though dewpoints were not met so actual frost was not an issue in the majority of areas (one wild exception: Vicksburg/Tallulah airport at Mound, LA: 24F and two hours of freezing fog!). We're warming up into the upper 60s and 70s today but now they're talking about some cold-wave coming down at the end of next week...yikes!!

Bet you can't wait to get to Hawaii...

_____

Bubba,

Maybe some other time...  I'm pretty sure that story violates at least 4 of the rules of the forum...  And your right, at 1PM now, I am enjoying the weather...  It's nice to not sweat when just thinking about going outside! :)

wordbars-dirtyboy1.jpg

(elHoagie @ Nov. 16 2007,09:21)

The past few days have had highs around 30C (85F) and lows around 20C (70F), but I woke up this morning to thick fog and 13C (55F).  I guess the cooldown is everywhere in the US...

Jack

Interesting contrast in recent data.  Maximums are been near 90F & minimums in mid 60's much of this week at my station [a tad warmer during the day and slightly cooler at night between our locations yet only 5 miles apart  :P

Also this morning was clear but I noticed a layer of clouds below in the canyons & out over Eagle Rock [too lazy to grab my camera].    

I still haven't recorded a minimum below 50F yet but cold air may advect into California next week if the models are correct.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(happ @ Nov. 16 2007,11:03)

(elHoagie @ Nov. 16 2007,09:21)

Jack

Interesting contrast in recent data.  Maximums are been near 90F & minimums in mid 60's much of this week at my station [a tad warmer during the day and slightly cooler at night between our locations yet only 5 miles apart  :P

Also this morning was clear but I noticed a layer of clouds below in the canyons & out over Eagle Rock [too lazy to grab my camera].    

I still haven't recorded a minimum below 50F yet but cold air may advect into California next week if the models are correct.

Happ,

I should have been more exact, I had two mornings with a low of 18C (64F), one at 20C (68F), and one at (21C) 70F.  I rounded all of these to 20C, which I then rounded to 70F when I did the conversion.  Also, I had a couple days over 30C (around 90F).  Our temperatures were probably pretty close.

When I left this morning around 9AM there was still thick fog at my place, but it was completely clear where I work in Pasadena.

Also, I've had one morning where it dropped below 10C (50F) for about an hour or two...

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

We had thick fog last night and early this morning too.  Some of the thickest I've seen.  I woke up a few times and the fog had retreated down the hill.  Then I woke up again and it was back up.  Kinda cool, I've never seen that before.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Jim

You were closer than Weatherunderground.  I looked at the the temp at the house at 6:00 am - 49F.  Truck temp on the way to Hobby at 7:00 am - 53F.  Got to San Antonio Int'l at 8:45 am - didn't have a thermometer, but it felt like high 40's with a wierd, cool, southwest breeze.

In any case, we haven't had a good rain since October 15 (+/- 4 1/2 inches), so, I'm lookng forward to the drenching we're supposed to get this weekend.

Steve

It was 45F here last night, supposed to be down into the low 40s tonight. I lugged in the Cyrtostachys that sits in a pond and some other "ultratropicals" to the greenhouse. It sucks since this is the only cold night. 70's tommorow and 80 by Mon.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Well, serious downward trend in my forcast for tonight. Supposed to hit 40 per the national weather service which means I may easily see upper 30's tonight :( . Upper 30's are forcast all the way down through southeastern Hillsborough (worse north), Manatee and Sarasota counties on the west coast. Patchy frost forcast in the same areas all the way to Myakka City in Manatee county :(  It was cold with very low dewpoint at sunset, no wind... Better take this one seriously folks! Could catch a few of us more inland people by surprise! It was 46.4F here this morning, they missed by about 2 degrees - they had predicted between 48 and 49 so I know they could miss by 2 again and I might be seeing my first light frost of the winter :(

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

46.9F Godforsaken degrees here his morning.  Is winter over yet?  Nothing was protected as the forecast called for a mere 49F.  What palms die between 45 and 50F?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Well, the weather forecast was correct.  We got down to around 37 with a super light patchy frost.  I have nicknamed it a Bermuda frost.  Only the super thin leaves of the wild bermuda grass frosted.   Everything else was just fine.

But as is usual here, it was a one night stand.  Lows tonight will be in the low 50s with highs tomorrow back around 80.   Weather is near perfect for outdoor activities.  The lack of rain is starting to get disturbing though.  It has been over 3 weeks here, going on a month, with nothing to speak of.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

(steve 9atx @ Nov. 16 2007,16:57)

Jim

You were closer than Weatherunderground.  I looked at the the temp at the house at 6:00 am - 49F.  Truck temp on the way to Hobby at 7:00 am - 53F.  Got to San Antonio Int'l at 8:45 am - didn't have a thermometer, but it felt like high 40's with a wierd, cool, southwest breeze.

In any case, we haven't had a good rain since October 15 (+/- 4 1/2 inches), so, I'm lookng forward to the drenching we're supposed to get this weekend.

Steve

That's about right, it was about 51F at around 8:45 on our way up to around 72F today.  Got colder than I thought it would, bottomed out in upper 30s (38-39ish) last night.  I think that was our first temp below 40 so far.  Much milder tonight, lows in 50s.

(ruskinPalms @ Nov. 16 2007,17:46)

It was 46.4F here this morning, they missed by about 2 degrees - they had predicted between 48 and 49

Bill-

Very similar here this AM (46.8F)  NWS had forecast 52F!  

Tonight NWS forecast something like 49F, yet its already 47F at 930PM.

But, the dewpoints are slowly rising (now up to 41F while they were in the upper 20's this AM), so perhaps this will keep the lows from bottoming out too much tonight.

The winds are dead calm over here and that always means colder temps for my yard as I am not close enough to the water.  Even a slight north wind warms my yard up very notably.

Larry 

Left Sunset Blvd at 8:00PM in haze  :P It's still clear up at my place but onshore gradients are fairly strong & fog should penetrate into the valleys by morning.  Saturday will be quite similar to today w/ slight warming on Sunday.

The big news is the real possibility of a rather strong offshore event into Thanksgiving.  Possible damaging winds/high fire conditions  :o

LA : 75/58

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Wierd, in the coldest place in my yard last night was a reasonable 52.  Its not very often that my temps are warmer than those fl guys but this odd front is one of em....

I bet by the end of next week Ill actually drop below 50 for the first time this year :)  

Ive got a sneaking feeling that next weeks cold may put me below 40....  they say its setting up to be a bad one.....

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

42ºF forecasted for 6 AM. Right now, 49 and dropping. I hope this night depletes a considerable amount of the cold reserves of this winter.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

The low of 52 this morning (Sat) isn't too bad I guess, but the high of only 67 Friday sucks. I guess it'll be cool enough for my dog to stay in the truck at Fairchild today...

_____

At 6AM this morning, my weather station sensor in a fan ventilated box was showing 43.3F.  My supposedly calibrated handheld meter in the same location was showing 45.2F.   I guess I will have to use a 3rd meter and/or an ice bath and see which one is correct.  In any case, it is the coldest morning of the year so far.

Larry 

Well, not too bad here at the Flatts……. at 0630 in the pond areas this morning, around 51.8 to 52.9……the open areas a bit colder though at 49.2….i suspect it is warmer at the north and south ends of the isle….. not only is Jackass Flatts at the driest spot on the island, but its probably the coldest , too….. darn.

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

My 2 el cheapo thermometers read 42.5. The closest weather station says the low was 43.1.  Come on sun and warmth! This bites. :angry:

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Santa Claus' alternate launch point is right here in Tampa Bay.  If November is an indicator (and it has been historically), it will be a bad winter.  I'm sure we'll have more 40's before the month is over.  While it's 48F here, I'm sure it's 72F in Miami right now.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I hit 47F at some point last night, it is about 56F right now. Im sure it got below 45F at the nursery.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Wow only 50F in town last night, warmer than the 45F Thurs. night. Sure beats low 40s like they predicted. It looks like Ocala and north was below 32F.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Up here in spring hill, I was 35.8 last night.  Minutes away, at the brooksville AP, it said 28!  Thats a record low.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a