IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone feel the 7.7 in Chile?

DoomsDave

Sounds NASTY.

I've heard they can be and are much worse at times up to 9.5 on the Richter scale.

I also hear there's a tsunami alert for Hawaii.

Stay safe

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave,

Your right on top of things. I've been watching the news and no word on the earthquake in Chile yet. 7.7 sound nasty....they have huge ones down there, the worst.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Tey say two people died, many injured, but, it's Chile . . . .

Sigh.

Hope they don't say that about us when the Big One cames again to Cali, which it WILL . . . .

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave:

That one was so strong that a friend of mine had to evacuate his office in a high building tower in São Paulo, 2400 km away from Chile and some people there got scared... The intensity was felt in most big towns of South and Southeast Brazil too, especially in the upper stories of the higher constructions...Now where are the local seismologists who love to mention that Brazil is a quake free country?  ???

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Dave ,we had a 5.3 just about a hour before the one in Chile.According to the press they were not related.I have my doubts. Think of these tectonic plates like magazines spread over a table.Move one and they all move?

Scott

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

(scottgt @ Nov. 15 2007,19:53)

Dave ,we had a 5.3 just about a hour before the one in Chile.According to the press they were not related.I have my doubts. Think of these tectonic plates like magazines spread over a table.Move one and they all move?

Scott

Well, in the broad sense, the plates are all interconnected.  However, I think Guatamala is too far away to have a direct relationship with Chile's plates.

if my memory serves, they're on different plates and get quakes for different reasons.

dave