IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

An opportunistically epiphytic Geonoma!

XYZ

Greetings:

A couple of weeks ago I was wandering around a stream bed in eastern Panamá and I came across a couple of young Geonoma sp. (¿cuneata, perhaps?) that had germinated on and were growing happily upon leaning or recently-fallen trees. I know that this is a somewhat commonplace event in wet tropical forests, but I thought that some of the forum members might enjoy seeing a phenomenon that is not often photographed.

And so, I give you an "epiphytic palm", in the not-so-lofty company of a flowering gesneriad and a couple bromes.

post-69-1194896059_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

This is the old school method for germinating palms?  It makes a pretty picture, for sure.  

So you were "wandering around a stream bed in eastern Panamá"?  What a life you lead.  Glad you found your way home, Señor Jaguar.  Thanks for the photo.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

You're welcome Kim.

Ya know...like they say: it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

A pic of a battered & bloodied SJ suffering tortures of the damned amidst hideous-looking mega diversity cloud forest in Veraguas. Practically had  to fight off the hordes of exquisitely rare plants (*shudder*).

Veraguascloudforest.jpg

GuzmaniaspruceiVeraguas.jpg

:) Hi Jay

Michael P. was over yesterday, he said you where out

and about, Prior to him dropping in.

Great Picture's  so much to see......Cool

Hey rememeber the old ("Hill St Blue's")  saying

"Now lets be careful out there"  :laugh:  Have Fun Dude.

Regards Mikey

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Ohhhhh  J.

The little Geonoma is a gem...Got any other pictures of it?

The following pictures are superb, everything in bloom and perfect green all around.

It sure feels great to hike around tropical forests in summer. There are a couple places I'm planning to visit soon around here too. I guess the ideal climate "downstairs" is during the dry warm season when the cool shade makes us feel great and the observation of nature's diversity is at the very best.

Keep them coming, please...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

WOW!!! That almost looks like an unnatural amount of nature all together there! That Geonoma sure is tiny! (or everything else is just big)

I'm always up for learning new things!

Looks like colonies of Guzmania sprucei .. lovely , now if I can just get mine to set some seed I can start to recreate that scene ...

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Hahaha!

Well, I'm terribly sorry that the palms growing on trunks there were so small...I'll take it up with God next time I talk to him.

Yeah, Miguel...Guzmania sprucei by the boatloads...there were also huge numbers of Aechmea allenii at this site, but they flower earlier in the year.

This is also an Anthurium nervatum/Geonoma epetiolata/Chamaedorea correaea/Heliconia bella site.

Like, I said...it's a dirty job...

...it's a dirty job... but someone has to do it ..

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

That's a cute little Geonoma! Looks like it could be a permanent location. I keep finding epiphytic palms here all the time, but these are more of a temporary nature. Here's a Verscheffeltia splendida seed that fell into the space where the petiole attaches to the trunk on a Phoenicophorium borsigianum, and germinated right there!

post-22-1195173238_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I have been to a lot of rainforests, but I have never seen such a fantastic natural collection and diversity of plants as in those pictures. That is truly amazing. I thought the rainforests in Malaysia were interesting, but the number of epiphytic type plants in those photos is incredible.

Hot and humid Loxahatchee Florida. 16 miles inland from

West Palm Beach in Palm Beach County