IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wish me Luck

metalfan

Tomorrow is the first half marathon of the season for me. Its in Micanopy, and starts at 8am. The temperature should be a balmy 40-42F.

This will be th first major run I have done in over a year, since I blew up my Achilles and have been suffering from chronic tendonitis. There's no way I will turn in a good time, I am shooting for just finishing between 2 hr10min and 2 hr30min.

My hubby will be running it too (but not with me, he never hangs back with me), he's using it as a training run for the Boston Marathon in April.

I plan to wear black shorts and a black bra top, and a long sleeved Killswitch Engage T shirt that I can take off and tie around my waist if it actually warms up that much, LOL. And of course I'll have some kickin tunes to pull me through...Anthrax, Megadeth, In Flames....

WISH ME LUCK! (I'll need it...)

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Hi Gina,

Good luck tomorrow! Sounds like the perfect temperature for a half marathon! When I was heavily into running races, I'd race every distance from 5K to marathons, but the half-marathon was definitely my favorite distance. Could maintain almost the same pace as in a 10K. And my fastest half-marathon was actually also the last one I raced. I had just turned 45 and I managed a 1:19. That was a while ago... :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo, you are a hell of a lot faster than me!

I am a straight 10 minute miler nowadays. I can get to 9-9.5 on a treadmill, but on the road, its 10!

My husband is currently doing a 7.5 minute mile, at age 48

You all sound very fast to me!  My speed is slightly more than 3 mph on a hiking trail going uphill.  :)   You runners amaze me.  The temperature sounds very nippy, but hot and humid would be much more difficult, no? Go Gina!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Gina,

Well, unfortunately that's ancient history! :(  But, I'm not complaining. Will be 64 in 2 months time, and I can still maintain an easy 8 minute pace when I go out for my morning run. Right now, I run 3 mornings a week and the other 4 I do a 5-7 mile speed-walk. On a good day, I maintain a 9.5 min pace (walking). On a bad day, it's more like 10. Getting ready to pick up my mileage now and get ready for a couple of longer races that I've done in the past. The most recent was the local marathon here in Hilo (March 07). Did that one in 4:32 (speed walking). Finished #109 out of 212. And everybody else was running! That was actually fun. And it's not often you can say that about a marathon...! :P

Again, good luck tomorrow. And my motto is: go out easy and pick up the pace at the halfway point. You'll be passing a lot of people that way! Plus, you'll feel much better when you cross the finish line. And post some photos when you've recovered!

Aloha,

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

We're off!  Micanopy is about 25 minutes away so we gotta go!

Missed this.

Hope it was fun!

How'd you do?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Gina,

I wished I could of joined you. Ha! Lol....!! Your in a class way above me. 2-3 miles is it for me. I hope you did well, let us all know.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Official results aren't posted on the web yet, but I turned in my fastest half marathon time in recent history! I am still not quite certain how I did it. When I looked down at my watch as I crossed the finish, it was 2 hours 1 minute. Of course, Judas Priest and White Zombie brought me that last mile. Hopefully they will post results soon, officially!

After the race, we showered, went to eat burritos, and then went to the Arts Festival and walked all over, met up with a friend who has a penthouse condo downtown, went up and drank some wine and beer, and are now back home. Busy day!

Gina,

That's great! Congratulations! Nothing like the satisfaction of having run a personal best. Now, next time you obviously have to shoot for a time under 2 hours! :)  5-10 seconds faster per mile so that's certainly within reach. Always great with goals!

Aloha,

Bo-Göran