IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trying to find a travellers palm online is so hard

Palmy

I cant find one, the ones I do find are on ebay and are about 100 bucks for a 3 gallon. Is that really how much they cost? That has to be a joke, I cant imagine them being that much more than a giant BOP. Can anybody head me in the right direction. All I want is a travllers palm, 2-5 gallon at a really easy website. Anybody know of them? They are not on sale anywhere local here.

Thanks

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Hey,

I assume you mean Ravenala Madgascariensis (Travelers Tree) They are very cheap as "liner" plants normally. I purchased mine through Aloha Tropicals online. Mine have grown to about 10' in the 3-1/2 tears since I purchased them. During the warm season they are as fast as bananas. Hope this helps,

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Palmy:

Do as I did and buy some babies, preferably more than one.  They're marginal where you are and will have to be protected from the cold, unless you're in a real hotspot like the Berserkeley Hills.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks Bret, lots of places that I didtn know existed. Yes dave, I shall protect them big time, I think im going to pot them up and wait till they are bigger. I can just stick it in the greenhouse during the winter. Im not going to plant anything this late in the summer. Or should I? I wonder how many other online stores I dont know of. :)

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Try Floribunda palms (www.dogpile.com) the site.

They don't have them now, but they carry them regularly, cheaper than thrills.

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Phil should have them (www.junglemusic.com).  Rancho Soledad has big ones.

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

Fred is right, Phil does have them in 2 and 5 gallon sizes...last I saw.  He might have smaller too.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Palmy:

If my memory serves, your something of a young buck . . .

If so, get some baby ones.  You and they both have plenty of time.  If they're happy they'll grow fast.  One at my dive is towering over my head, about 8 feet (2.666 m) tall and about 6' (2 m ) wide.

That's from a baby one I got about three years ago.  In a hotter place, they're even faster.

In a place like yours, plant out in late spring and water like the devil all summer.  Give full sun if you can.  In the winter, keep the babies in the greenhouse.  

Let us know what happens and when.  We're all voyeurs around here . . . .

dave