IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Your online name and avatar

palmmermaid

I've often wonder how some of the members chose their online name and avatar.  Some of them are obvious - amazondk for example.  But some are not quite so obvious.

How about telling us newbies how some of you chose yours?

My screen name is Palmmermaid.  I chose that because of my 2 loves - the sea and palms.  I am always looking for a merman to kiss so I can turn into a mermaid!  Even my license plate is MERMAID.

Anyone else want to share their story?

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

I always like to stick to the user name with my name so its KrisAchar(Kris Achar) always.

And the avatar is Cycas Revoulta young sapling,and iam a fan of the cycas species...!

love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I just use my last name... it's uncommon enough that it's always open wherever I register!

For the avatar.. I chose a Hawaiian "KU" carving.. I have a love for all things polynesian art... especially woodcarving. Although that pic is not one of mine.. I need to swap it one of these days.

Kitty....  glad for the explanation... I always that it was "palmer   maid"!    Duh.... guess that doesn't make much sense now :)

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

The photo is an unfurling banana leaf from my garden, and my name is Kim, not very mysterious!  The unfurling leaf can be taken as a symbol for my 'new' interest in tropicals, now 3 years old.  

On other forums I've used made-up names and a cartoon character avatar.  I thought it was 'safer' to be anonymous, but it altered the perception of me in ways I hadn't anticipated.  I honestly think some people were crestfallen to discover that I was not a little Hawaiian surfer-girl orphan with a space alien for a pet, but an adult businesswoman with a family.  I like being a real person best.

Someday I will update my avatar with a spectacular photo from my garden, but first I have to grow it!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Easter of 2006 I planted seeds of and grew about 1500 seedlings of some random flower (Zinnias, I believe) for an Easter Service to be held at Mizner Park's amphitheater.  These were given away to attendees in conjuncture with the sermon (I couldn't tell you the message today, I wasn't particularly fond with the cheesiness of that particular sermon).  But doing that gave me the peabrained idea that I could grow anything and everything!  Pigafettas in an herb jar on the window sill?  NO PROBLEM!! :laugh:  I thought palm trees were pretty darn cool, as I am in love with the tropics and the diverse flora and fauna.  

I really didn't didn't think much more of it at the time...

A couple days later I was doing my thing, riding around on my beach cruiser and saw a perfect Christmas Palm triple loaded up with a dumptruck or two full of seeds.  I asked the owner, who happened to be in the front yard working dilgently (the writing is always on the wall), if I could take a seed or two.  He practically begged for me to take them all.  I took 3 seeds home with me that afternoon.  I spent the evening hunting on the internet trying to find the best way to germinate palm seeds.  Came across a huge variety of palms that were rare and unusual.  The obsession was starting...  Came across a website called "Dave's Garden" and found this picture:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/87473/   :o

It was all over, I was hooked.  How could anyone not fall in love?!  I ended up using the sterile baggie method for the Christmas Palms.  When they germinated I potted them up and had flashbacks of the Zinnia escapade and decided that if I could grow a handfull of silly little flowers and have them be used for God's purpose, that a forest of magnificent and unusual palms could surely be put to use!  Eventually my searches brought me to RPS.com and I placed a huge order.  Kept on the internet long enough and found out about ya'll, my palmfreak fam...  So thats the story of how I came to love palms. O yeah, and how I came up with my name...

Pious is defined by Merriam Webster as showing reverence for deity and devotion to divine worship.

My avatar is a whole seperate story and my fingers are beat...  I'll tell ya'll about it later!  Something about a girl, a bankrobbin' cocaine dealer, a beatup old pickup truck, a whole heap of aged rum in coconuts with a straw, and sleeping half naked on the side of the road in a cotton hammock in the Florida Keys...

:cool:

Dave is my actual name and I'm from Southern California.

The avatar is "Kudzu" drawn by the late Bob Marlette (also an acid-tongued political cartoonist).  I guess when I was a dorky kid I looked a little like K.  When it comes to palms, etc., I'm still a dorky kid at heart.  Always something fresh the following morning.

I'm a lawyer, and if people get funny ideas because of my avatar, well, I'll giggle, too . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Very interesting responses!  This is what I was hoping for.  Gives us all some insight into each other's unique personality.

Keep it coming.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Around 2003-2004 I got bit by the gardening bug. I chose junglegal because I longed for my own tropical jungle and I'm a gal (last time I checked)

I chose the avatar because I always wanted to be a red head.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

(junglegalfla @ Nov. 06 2007,14:42)

Around 2003-2004 I got bit by the gardening bug. I chose junglegal because I longed for my own tropical jungle and I'm a gal (last time I checked)

I chose the avatar because I always wanted to be a red head.

Bren,

I want a jungle as well.  

I just became a redhead after being a blonde for 20 years or so.  I love it!  Just go for it!  It's only hair.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Well, most of you know why I chose "Metalfan" and it ain't because I like to weld.

Its because I pretty much live and breathe heavy metal music from 6am til I go to bed, and because I embrace heavy metal culture, tattoo culture, and most things that go along with it.

Oh, and because I have a smidge of metal on my body (I'm pierced in, well, a variety of locations)

My avatar? I didn't really choose it, actually I couldn;t figure out how to put an avatar on and had tried a few unsuccessfully, and that one finally worked, so there is is. WHat I'd really like to do is make my own but I don't know how.

Kitty, I love mermaids too. We didn't name our daughter for Ariel the Mermaid (it actually had not been made when she was born, LOL) we named her for the water sprite in the Tempest, and because she is a Pisces. My mermaid tattoo was in honor of her.

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Gina,

I've always loved mermaids and horses, and now palms and most other plants.  Can't get into heavy metal music but that's why there are so many different kinds.  Diversity is what makes people interesting.

I can't figure out to get an avatar out here either so I don't even have one!

Nice about your tattoo for your daughter.  My granddaughter is named Arielle Catherine, the Arielle after a creature and because she is a Pisces and Catherine after me.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

My name was Jeff in Tampa (I know, how original!) for many years.  After I moved, I changed Tampa to Costa Rica.  I've changed my avatar a few times.  The current one is a picture I took a few months ago when I visited the Arenal volcano.  

And Bren, I think you would look great as a red head!!  Take Kitty's advice and do it!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

In a moment of unoriginality (signing on at Dave's Garden) I combined my location with my first name. I kept the name when I found this place. If I were to start over again, I'd call myself "Bangalo Bill" as a nod to The Beatles song, and because I have more Archos than anything else.

I'm slowing rotating images of Oceanside, California, in my avatar. The current one is The San Luis Rey Mission, and previously I had the Oceanside Pier.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Great topic Kitty,

My wife calls me her freaky palm guy so I thought that was appropriate. My avatar is of my other passion camping. That pic was taken on one of our camping trips a few years back. Nothing like sitting around a warm campfire with a bunch of good friends and family.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

My username is also part of my adress. Oh boy how original.   Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I used to use the nickname TekHed, which lacked any degree of thought or orignality and, as such, was often unavailable when signing up for things.  I decided to choose a name that I thought would remain unique, so I thought I would use a scientific name.  I looked at the genus of big cats, which is usually Pantera and thought that as that is the name of a popular power metal band from Texas, there is a good chance that other people will use it.  Fortunately cloouded leopards have their own distinct genus Neofelis.  I nearly chose that, but thought if I ever sign up to anything nature/wildlife related it may already be used.  Having cut off my long hair not long previously, i thought it would be appropriate to change it to Neofolis.  So far it has been unique in every situation I have wanted to use it.

My avatar is a photo of one of the Phoenix canariensis at Kew, which I took during my visit there in July 2006.  It was the first picture I could find that still looked like an impressive mature palm, with the size sufficiently reduced.  I may change it at some point, just to confuse people.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

My avatar is probably the 5th or 6th one I've used so far. I chose it because it is in the shape of "W", but that's just to fool you. It's a Chamaedorea  elatior.

I use the online name "Wal" so that some people may think that's my real name, but others are wiser, they know if your name was Wal, you wouldn't use it for your online name, so it must be a furfy and my real name must be something else, like, "Bob Dylan" or in American indian style "Sitting Butia" or  "Running Dypsis", "Crazy Howeas" or even " He plants fast palms".

So there Hugo.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I used amazondk because I had been using it already for a variety of internet IDs.  Plus I like to identify with Amazonia.  I came up with the indian when I was looking for something representative of our area.  Tikis are not very Amazonian, but indians are.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Love all the responses!  I am always amazed and amused by people's creativity and view of themselves.

More, more.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

As you have probably guessed,I am not computer literate.I have been a Palm nut practically all my life and for a period of time I lurked on this board enjoying the topics and discussions. Finally one day a topic came up that I had to respond to.Accordingly, I got a "friend" to help set me up so I could communicate.Besides setting me up, said"friend" also with no imput from me whatsoever, named me Bubba.I did not know my name until I posted and got roasted.Sometime latter, I noticed all these cool avatars but had no idea how to make one.I picked out an out of the ordinary South Florida palm shot. Once again, I enlisted the help of said"friend" to assist me with my avatar. Well I posted only to find a Gator not only on that post but all previous posts! Said "friend" had struck again.Truth is I am a chronic "Gator fan"and as for Bubba, it's kind of like a boy named Sue.I have always liked to fight things through. Just ask my poor wife and family.

What you look for is what is looking

Well, Bubba, if you like I can set you up with Shelly Myers as your personal cycling instructor, LOL. She teaches at our gym here on Tuesdays at 9:30am. I never attend her class, because I can't stand the disco music she plays. As chance would have it though, out regular Wednesday girl was out today and she was our sub. My iPod sure got a workout. Glad I put that new "In Flames" and new "Avenged Sevenfold" on there last night, WHEW!

Well, Mine is Zac in NC because I was in North Carolina( and might be back for a while soon). I am currently in Austin Texas but I didn't want to change my name LOL, call me lazy. My avatar is a Heliconia rostrata whose picture was taken back on my first trip to Mexico back in May of 05 at a place in Tamaulipas(Tad knows where I took it. He's got pics of the place in the Mexico thread).

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Kitty! great subject!

I chose mine as my initials (which bythemselves generate ...ummm, something :P) and a play on a "Man about town".  As I've understood it, a general all-round good guy and always wants to be in on the latest and greatest anything.  So, I applied that to palms and became :

"BS, Man about Palms"  :D:P

My avatar is one of my semi-rare sports cars I own, A TVR 3000S, back when I raced it regularly.  Somewhat similar to your avatar issue, I got that done for me on a race car forum and had it, but have never done a "palm" one.   (Still play with cars, just went out this past Sunday and was the fourth fastest guy in the lot... (handicapped) in a MIATA.  :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Sorry to be so boring but 'bgl' just happen to be my initials. Nothing too original, I'm afraid. And even though I'm all in favor of creativity, when it comes to something like this, I prefer for it to be short and to the point.

And my avatar obviously is the Dypsis sp. "Orange crush". One of my favorite palms, and probably the one that shows its color in the most dramatic way.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Well, let me see how I can explain this. The name I use, Jeff Searle, well thats my real name(believe me) given to me from my parents. lol...... :laugh:  And my avitar, it's my REAL face of me. It was taken from a village in Madagascar where we were passing through that day. What you can't see, is that there were about 10 cute little children standing behind me when the photo was taken. I had someone else set the avitar up for me because if I had'nt, it still would be blank today.Anyways, it's great to be a part of this great family.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, you should scan and post the whole pic.

If I was more photogenic, I'd post a photo of me as my avatar, but I'm not, LOL.

Jeff,

I can picture with the kids when I hear Jimmy Buffet's song about Christmas on the Equator.  He mentions something about the smiles on the kids faces by the firelight in Zanzibar.  You should post the entire picture.  A National Geographic moment!

Gina,

Your body is a work of art!  Post it!  Me, I'm just plain but with dreams of tattoos.  I used to be a biker babe and have had temporary tattoos.  My husband would have a fit and this is one of the few things I have gone ahead and done anyway!  When I move to Hawaii I will get some primitive ones.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Gina, I understand Shelley Meyer is a tremendous person,who has alot to do with her husband's success. I don't think I could keep up with anybody in that class, including you, who by your Posts are a distance runner.You are lucky to live in G-ville,which is one of the more eclectic smaller cities I know about.A tremendous group of sharp people between all the doctors,professors and students. A great place to raise children,great schools, university activities and of course the Palms. Never would have expected to see the large varieties you folks are growing up there.

What you look for is what is looking

(palmmermaid @ Nov. 06 2007,14:31)

Very interesting responses!  This is what I was hoping for.  Gives us all some insight into each other's unique personality.

Keep it coming.

Giggle

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ahh.............., well..............., it's like this........

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

As to the online name; My 1st name is Ned and, well, I'm.....you know-old.

The photo is one of many branching "King Palms" (probably Archontophoenix alexandre ) that I found growing in the parking lot of a plant nursery in Julatten, Northern Queensland.  There are at least 30 or 40 of these multi-branched palms around the driveway.  The place is "Helga's Nursery"-Just up the hill from Port Douglas (north of Cairns)....worth a look if you're in the area.

Here's more pix of the....Branching Kings

Merritt Island, Florida 32952

28º21'06.15"N 80º40'03.75"W

Zone 9b-10a

4-5 feet above sea level

Four miles inland

No freeze since '89...Damn!-since 2nd week of Jan., 2010

Well, Bubba, I guess she's an okay person for local "royalty", LOL. Like I said, she and I are totally polar opposites with music so I quit taking her classes a LONG time ago. I see her a lot though. STeve Spurrier's wife, Jeri, did the same thing for, oh, about 15-20 years, LOL? She taught aerobics at the same gym. Imean, when you are already multi millionaires, I guess you need that little extra $15 per class. I never took her classes, either.

I gotta change my avatar, just gotta find the right thing that's still "appropriate".

Don't laff, I saw one today (a metal palm)

Someone who was smart enough to rip out their lawn, xeriscape and put in mainly gravel with waterwise plants had a metal palm sculpture. It was pretty cool

• 4 years later...

Women have always told me "You're not very exciting, but you are real reliable"! So I just use my real name and photograph. ( I do admit that my hair is more gray now, than in my avatar.)

San Francisco, California

My avatar is an Alien (I am a science fiction freak) with an Aquarius symbol, which is my astrology sign.

My picture is (a younger) me with my two Macaws. The Green Wing is Gilligan, I've had him since early 1991 when he was just weaned. The Blue & Gold is Xuxa. I got her from a friend of mine in 2003, she is about 13 or 14.

My screen name came from the Buccaneers winning Super Bowl 37 on my 37th birthday on January 26th, 2003. My wife (who passed away in 2004) threw me a massive Birthday / Super Bowl party at the house. If you know me, you know I am a H-U-G-E Bucs fan (condolences accepted :( ). I have only missed one home game since I started going regularly on 12/18/77 (first ever home win against the Cardinals). I use this screen name on a lot of different sites, so if you see it, it will be me! :D

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

STEVETOAD= steve(my name) + toad(nickname of mine. last name is horn. nickname is hornytoad that got cut down to toad)

thats all i have to say about that...

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

1325816916' post=505706]

I have had like 800 avatars

where do you want me to start ???

At the beginning! confused0065.gif

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean