IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lovely Cars That We Love To See..

Kris

Dear Eric :)

thanks for interacting on this subject on 70 to 80's benz cars.even i favour less of digital & computerised gadgtery.since its less cumbersome to get it repaired & costs less.but iam very sorry to tell the state of mordern benz since its like a flight cockpit...with indicators,sensors,readings....etc.

all i want is a car that keeps going on & on...and i think even one member had recently had purschased one of these..and had quoted his experience,saying he loves it.

here there are lots of those models avaliable and mostly in doctors hands.and few in those who have brought it to india after working in the gulf countries...these guys have no intention of selling.they are low on milage and the paint coat is still its original.they tell all that they keep replacing is the engine oils,oil filters,worn out door hinges,fan belts,elec bulbs & tyres...

i wish to call that benz model as 'The Rock' :)

thanks & love,

Kris :)

By the way indians all love diesel powered cars since their is vast price difference,as diesel is quite subcidised by the goverment.

The Rock, that would be a good description!

They will run forever if you keep up with maintance; filters, fluids and valave adjustments.

Is a lot of the diesel in India biodeisel made from Jatropha? I read a lot is grown there. There are some farms starting up in FL growing Jatropha for biodiesel production.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is a rare car ............

20080510_0135.jpg

Cool, a mid 70's 240 series under all that! Another car that is rock solid, 1970s Volvo 140/240 series. I used to have a 1971 Volvo 142S, it was my very 1st car, still wish I had it.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Update on the Benz restoration project. I was able to find a "Donor Car" which basically means this car will donate all his vital organs to the car I am renovating. Got it really cheap too-- the whole car only cost me as much as the price of 2 bumpers (based on the prices I have seen in on-line mercedes benz parts suppliers). So big savings there.

If there is enough of the donor car left after this project. I am tempted to restore it as well. the engine is still workable but then again I have to search for a donor car for this one as well.--- there goes your never ending hobby cycle. much like palms. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you got a good deal. You could easily sell the unusued parts on Ebay from the donar car when you are finished, recoup some money. Take photos of the progress!

And don't forget, if you have problems, the forums at Benzword.org are very helpful, like the palm one.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Did this car get a mention already? Well, who cares. A 1959 Ferrari 250 Spyder California. I believe the actor James Coburn owned a second-hand '61 model back in 1964. His sold at auction in Italy just recently. It set a new world record price for a car at auction, fetching nearly 11 million US dollars!

post-1155-1211201479_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear william :)

that car is lovely,and seeing its headlights i am tempted to ask a question to car experts..why is all the mordern cars equiped with headlamps or headlights with plastic or fibergalss finish.i could see that the above car also has it in that finish..

since i have seen many cars here whose headlamps outer glass finish have become dull,on close inspection i realsied that it is made up of plastic and some pertoleum products like thinner or benzene must have come in contact with it and it looks offully dull & shabby.wheather its hi-end cars or normaly priced ones their headlamps all looks dull ?

My cars are all old & dated they have glass headlights assembly and its sparkiling new even after 6 to 8 years after !

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

HID Conversion Kit_With Adjustable Output_Digital Kits rated at 50 watts:-

The Link !

And its surprising that the rates have all come down for these kits & my favouriate 5000k seems to be provided by all Xenon (High Intensity discharge)manufacturers.... :hmm:

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A 1940's Packard.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry I'm late to this thread, but here are some pics of my baby. I bought it new!!

06-28-08_1138.jpg

06-28-08_1137.jpg

Also seen in the pics are montgomeries, macarthurs, a pigmy date, a white elephant and the shadow of a hurricane palm.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

there is even a double coco in the back ground.

06-28-08_1131.jpg

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

• 2 weeks later...

Found these pics of my first restoration when was 18 years old!

69luvbug.jpg

Don't ask how I got all those Red Stripe cases at 18 years of age! (I made that fakey palm with real fronds from a pygmy date!) This pic was taken at the VW show out at the fairgrounds... Shoulda got a trophy but I ran the judges off cause they were touchin my ride. :angry:

Check out the stoner eyelids on the front of the car... Sweeeeeeet.

If this car could only tell stories... :D

I've owned a few Vdubs... but this one is the only REAL VW that I ever owned... 1953 Zwitter - 36hp top speed of about 68-70 mph (scary) Zwitter was cool and fairly rare (speaking in beetle terms of course) In that it had the body of a 52 (split window) but the dash of a 53 (oval rear window)... Plus I always liked cars with semaphores and this year was one of the few that had lighted semaphores... I sold this car for $20k a couple years ago... Who would have guessed this car would have been worth that kind of cheese 50 years ago?! :blink:

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00223.jpg

1953split36hp.jpg

Dear William :)

Lovely stills of my favouriate car..i fell in love with this after watching the movie love bug(old).and i was told by my the mechanics that it initially was launched with a 6 volt battery,later folks here converted it to 12 volts and i have seen even 4 door version from brazil.with water cooled radiator types..

And i love this car in white and blue & red strips in the front to back lines..

And last but not the least the engine noise from a non modified one simply turns me on_fur fur fur a mild melady sounded from its twin rear silencers.

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Neat cars added here folks! Kris, Thanks for the Goodwood link, someday I would love to go. I think you realise, that everyone is supposed to dress as in the 1970's or earlier? Great show!

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some friends and I all have C32 AMG mercedes and one has a C55, back a few months ago we did a photo shoot at my old warehouse.

DSC_0985.jpg

DSC_0881.jpg

DSC_0871.jpg

DSC_0986.jpg

I'm gonna have to say the warehouse photo outside reminded me of Fast and Furious in Miami when they did the scramble.

More importantly, what are you doing with all the grass in your yard bro? PLANT A PALM!

I did some High Performance driving instruction for AMG out here a while back. I know about the E55, but I don't remember the C55?

At the time, I liked the E55 alot because it was like the ultimate Stealth mobile.... Neat shots too...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'm gonna have to say the warehouse photo outside reminded me of Fast and Furious in Miami when they did the scramble.

More importantly, what are you doing with all the grass in your yard bro? PLANT A PALM!

I have 49 Varieties so Far! Nothing smaller than 3 feet still going strong.

I have 49 Varieties so Far! Nothing smaller than 3 feet still going strong.

49?! Not too shabby at all. I wish I had more than half a dozen in the ground.

Ex-James Bond Esprit to be Auctioned

On Decemeber 1st, Bonhams will auction one of the two functioning Lotus Esprits from the James Bond Film The Spy Who Loved Me. It was these white supercars that thrust Lotus into the public's eye.

The car on auction is actually one of nine bodyshells used in the film. Most were destroyed to transform the Esprit into a submarine. On set, the Lotus 'U-Boat' was actually an electric submarine fitted with two scuba divers.

As a tribute to Lotus's star role, we feature the same car used in the 1977 film. It was recently restored back to it's on set configuration. Bonhams call this an opportunity to acquire one of cinema's most celebrated motor cars.

With the Esprit, Lotus entered the modern supercar market for the first time. It's exotic shape was good enough to extend production from 1976 all the way to 2004.

Featured in the 1977 James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me, Roger Moore showcased the Esprit's performance by eluding a chasing helicopter. Unlike the Astons of Bond's past, the Lotus transformed into a submarine and jumped into the sea.

The Esprit story started much earlier when Giorgetto Giugiaro debuted the Ital Design M70 concept at the 1972 Turin Motor Show. This car's 'folded paper' front end was radical, yet production worthy. Four years later,a production version debuted at the 1975 Paris Motor Show.

At the center of the new Esprit was a Type 907 inline-4 which produced 160 bhp in European markets and 140 bhp in America. This was mounted at 45 degrees in relation to the chassis to keep a low center of gravity. The engine was supported by a steel chassis and covered in a sleek fiberglass body.

Despite modest power of its initial specification, the styling and handling of the car kept it selling. By 1980, the Esprit was upgraded Series Two specification including a new front spoiler and rear valance.

The Spy Who Loved Me Lotus :

The white 1976 Lotus Esprit from the 1977 film The Spy Who Loved Me, starring Roger Moore and Barbara Bach, will be sold by the international auctioneers on 1 December at its annual motoring Auction Sale at Olympia, in West London.

This Lotus Esprit is one of two complete, fully functioning cars that were used for the driving scenes in the motion picture 'The Spy Who Loved Me', starring Roger Moore as secret agent James Bond, '007'. Approximately nine Esprits were used in different guises, but bar these two the rest were shells, some of which were used in filming the Esprit's transformation into a submersible.

After the movie's completion, the car was despatched Lotus and put back on the production line to be returned to standard trim and sold on. The mounting for the clock was removed, the seats and headrests returned to standard, the engine serviced and a black Lotus badge put on. This ex-Bond Esprit later passed into German ownership, its last long-term owner in that country carrying out a mechanical restoration.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...