IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lovely Cars That We Love To See..

Kris

I saw Mike's ute today, here's a pic, it's a beauty.

post-51-1205047566_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

looks hot...i'm sure they'll put the wheel on the otherside for us yanks...but at $3.75 US per gal...i need better MPG

The plate is cool too...was the palm added??

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

2008 Desert Classic Concours d'Elegance - Inaugural - Palm Springs _

The Link !

By the way there are lots of palms seen in the background and fentastic monograms of classic cars... :;):

love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

You can have your "pretty" cars and trucks.  Give me my '91 Nissan P/U.  Bought it in Jan of 1992.  It has 166,000 miles on it.  The only thing I really change is the oil, filters and tires.  Original brakes.

Last month replaced the starter moter and head gasket.

What would I do w/o it?  I need to haul rubbish to recycle, pick up pavers and cement blocks and yards and yards of compost.

Aug1Truck1.jpg

Aug1Truck2.jpg

Oh, did I forget to say it has NO RUST..  Nissan Hard Bodies live forever.   :P

And I believe it was put together as a plant somewhere in the good old USA.   :D

Wai`anae Steve

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

No rust?  Whats that color change behind the right rear wheel ?  ???

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Mar. 14 2008,19:27)

No rust?  Whats that color change behind the right rear wheel ?  ???

That my friend is good old Hawaiian red dirt.

For real no rust!  The old paint was wearing off and there was some surface rusting after the gray primer got thin, but that was taken care of w/a little sandpaper, a can of paint and a lot of cheap paint brushes.

Yea!  I painted it w/a brush.  Why should I care what it looks like as long as it runs?  Beside less people mess with it when I park at the end of lonely roads to go hiking in the bush.

:D    :P    :laugh:

Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes

Dear Steve  :)

your mini truck looks great and even iam a fan of the japanese built quality & control.first of all they are much lighter and so very fuel efficient.and the gear syncoronisation & the gear ratio for each gears are perfect and makes less of noise while travelling..

here in india people love certain SUV's like Mistubushi_Pajereo,Toyota_Land Crusier,Nissan_X-Trail more than Mercedes_M series,Audi,BMW or ford endavour.though some are very expensive to the japanese conterpart.but in the second hand market only the japanese vehicles have resale !

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

GM is allowing one lucky consumer the chance to name this new vehicle.

From March 15 - April 15 consumers can visit

www.pontiac.com/namethiscar and submit their name ideas (like El Camino).

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2010_g8_sport_truck2.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

With that big an engine I called it the "GUZZLER".     :D

What a waste  My little Nissan can haul over a 1000 lbs in the back it has a 4 cyl engine and still go fast enough to get a ticket on any American highway.

• 2 weeks later...

Nowadays lots of cars have Xenon headlight bulbs as their O.E.M fitment but even the fater market kits have become very offordable these day ! have you given any thoughts about it to replace your exisisting halogen bulbs ?

here are few links for your reference...!

Link One

Link Two

Link three

Link Four

Link Five

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And by the by the above lighting comes as a factory fitment in cars like mercedes,bmx,porsche,rolls,bently...producing white light of 4300k and not blue or purple as some cars emmit.

since they are all secondary fixtures made by car enthuiest..and not a part of the O.E.M.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Saw this "sad" link today.....  rusting/decaying Supercars....

http://www.leenks.com/gallery641.htm

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Some Videos on this car headlight techonology...

Link _ Three

Link _ Five

Love,

And by the way most would be willing to ask me why the car headlight topic is delt in the lovely cars post.i say one thing that these bulbs not only add buety to our existing cars but also gives more saftey to road users...!  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Besides the palms. This is my other side project a 1967 Mercedes Benz 250S

This is my dad's car that he has been restoring for the past 15 years-- don't laugh that just how he is. Its just a side hobby for him so it doesn't get much attention. At least its kind of sort of running.

I actually forgot that we had this car because it was with his mechanic for so long.

Anyway I have taken over it and will be posting things as I progress (or degress) with its restoration. I am not aiming to join any car shows or anything like that so the renovation is not intended to bring it back to its original condition exactly. I want to add some creature comforts like power steering (this boat is heavy) and a moderns sound system that I intend to hide in the glove compartment ( no I will not put sub woofers in this thing). And of course air conditioning - this originally didn't have an AC system when it was brought in from stutgart.

post-1017-1209123144_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

I think my biggest problem will be the interiors. In particular the Dashboard. In Particular the wooden panels. I have been searching the local shops and the internet but have come up with ZILCH.

I have even started approaching furniture manufacturers but have not been successful. But I will keep trying that route coz that seems to be the most promising one.

Any enthusiast here that can point me to the right direction with this dashboard problem? Any source or website?

post-1017-1209124147_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Gene :)

i simply admire your dad's taste for that model of mercedes...even i have few cutting of those models dating to 70's i will soon post those magazine cuttings..

Now here is a link for

2008 Bugatti Veyron Sang Noir _

http://www.supercars.net/cars/4137.html

lots of love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, those Xenon lights are terrible. They may be great if you are sitting behind them, but if you are driving towards them they blind you. And if somebody is driving behind you, their lights illuminate the entire cabin of your car, even though they are on low beam. We may all have to start driving around at night with our sunglasses on...just like the Blues Brothers...LOL

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Gene, I think I have posted this on here before, but can't remember... With a classic benz in your fam, I thought you might appreciate this car I once owned... 1953 MB 170DS... I only drove it about 50 miles whle in my possession... shoulda driven it a little further... :)

53benzo-1.jpg

Dear Daryl :)

i fully agree with you on this.here in india tourist cabs,trucks,vans all use halogen bulbs with wattage of 100/90 and few nuts even go to the extent

of using 100/130 watts halogen bulb(H-4)type,these are made in china,korea & taiwan bulbs avaliable in local automotive markets.And these nuts have partially hurt my eyes.so i was trying to get even with those nuts.and one evening i suddenly took notice that some hi-end cars have different lighting system in india.the brands that use this kind of lighting was Benz,BMW,Skoda,porsche,ford_Mondeao...and Daryl iam not talking about the blue bulbs or blue coloured Xennon lighting.these lights in hi-end cars are all appearing like regular halogen coloured lighting.and the Specification for this lighting is 4300K to 5000K only.i doubt this range is avaliable in cheap after market lighting.and most of the xennon bulbs & their blast starter are all made in china.they are all giving out only blue or purple coloured light.and as you said on a long straight highway,if we are in straight line opposite to those bulbs,god be with us.it is blinding.and most use these bulbs in as OEM replacement which,the inner reflector is not designed to accept the xennon beam wavelenght.

here in india the car headlights & horns are not yet regulated.so even i have asked my friend who is in the U.S to bring the xennon HID Kit and one new type Air horn where the trumpets are all attached to the air compressor.

and i want to try it and get even with road pranksters.even my cars are all not

xenon bulb complient..so it should really be glaring to guys on the otherside.

And this is no joke that i drive at present with mild sunglasses,courtesy reckless cab drivers..And since iam a automobile enthuiest i will try and give you all a report.if its nice then i will import a german or japanese HID Kit with Bi-Xenon capability.with a 4300K wavelength.these are expensive stuffs so iam trying a made in U.S.A kit first.And i must tell that blue beam wave length do not peniterate fog or rain.so i do not understand why the blue bulbs are manufactured in the first place ?

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear William :)

that's a beautiful car and it reminds me of classic war movies where Adolf Hitler is seen getting down that car to address a rally in Berlin....!

I love the mercedecs but when they started putting digital gadgetry and all plastic collousion bumbers,my taste for these cars faded away.none of their mordern cars could be called a classic in years to come that would include their Mayback series too. :(

On my recent visit to banglore,while i was staying in a hotel.a cab from the leela palace hotel came to the hotel where i was staying,to pick some guest.i was shocked to see a RR used as a cab.RR Phanthom series.and when the car came to the loby.it appeared as a big bird.and when the car was parked and switched off it just sank down to one and half feet.and the wheel covers had RR labels which Readjusts itself to upright position...very strange that the manufacturers have looked into so minute details..and when the guest wanted to keep their bagage in the trunk or boot.the lid opened so gently,i was stunned with hydralic function.and after keeping those bags the driver simply tapped the metal lid and the closing of the lid began_very fussy logic ! and once the engine was switched on the car ground clearence simply increased but the motion was gentle.and at that time i noticed that the front grill monogram slightly lifted up very beautiful to look at.

But the RR car's engine & its cooling fan was bit noisy... :angry:

Okay now back to Mercedecs Benz i have few magazine cutting of my favouriate models like 230.of the 70's batch.its popularly know as the W123 Chassie.

lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Besides the palms. This is my other side project a 1967 Mercedes Benz 250S

This is my dad's car that he has been restoring for the past 15 years-- don't laugh that just how he is. Its just a side hobby for him so it doesn't get much attention. At least its kind of sort of running.

I actually forgot that we had this car because it was with his mechanic for so long.

Anyway I have taken over it and will be posting things as I progress (or degress) with its restoration. I am not aiming to join any car shows or anything like that so the renovation is not intended to bring it back to its original condition exactly. I want to add some creature comforts like power steering (this boat is heavy) and a moderns sound system that I intend to hide in the glove compartment ( no I will not put sub woofers in this thing). And of course air conditioning - this originally didn't have an AC system when it was brought in from stutgart.

Wow those MBs were beautiful, I always liked the "stacked" headlights.

A great resource is Benzworld.org, they have message boards for all years/makes/models of MB.

I bought a silver 1980 MB 300D (the Beruit taxi) last year. I bought it on ebay, a good, affordable, luxury car that is super reliable. I always liked the 240/300 MBs. It has 160,000 miles on it, everything works, even the AC and sunroof and runs great. Paint and interior is in almost mint shape (one crack on dash). The first aid kit has never been used, original band aids, ointment, etc is in it. The radio is the original Becker AM/FM and I am keeping it in. My ancestors were Beckers from Germany so maybe a connection.It has a little rust behind both front wheels, the only body flaw and I am getting the rear window seal replaced as it leaks when it rains. It is on the slow side and diesel is running about $4.25/gal here but it is my weekend car. I want to convert it to run on "waste oil" or veg oil. WVO is free and clean veg oil is about $3/gal.

Check out those forums. They have been super helpful for me. And definitely restore that car, it will be worth it. Post photos when you start!

There is a 1974 220 for sale up the street that is real tempting!

Here is the link;

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Gene, I think I have posted this on here before, but can't remember... With a classic benz in your fam, I thought you might appreciate this car I once owned... 1953 MB 170DS... I only drove it about 50 miles whle in my possession... shoulda driven it a little further... :)

53benzo-1.jpg

Dang, that is a beauty also. Did you replace the hood ornament? How long did you have it? Those old MBenz sedans are so classy.

My all time favorite car of anything were the mid 1950s MB 300 gullwings, 2nd is DeLorean (maybe a connection there?)

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Dear Friends :)

here is the model of benz cars that i love the most,be it petrol or diesel engined version.i had always been in love with these 2 models in my teenage.and hope to get one someday ! here are the visuals of those 2 models...

And i love it in white & silver coloured than the black ones.

IMG_0050-1.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

here is the other benz that i love the most its a 230.1970's model of the famous W_123 Chassie.here are the visuals !

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

the above car looks more refined and the headlamps looks even more beautiful than the previous version of this model.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

That 2nd one is what I have but in silver with the blue MB tex interior.

The W123 models with diesel engines are probably one of the most reliable cars ever built. There are many still on the road today with hundreds of thousands of miles. When you reach certain mileage points, you can take your car to a local MB dealer to have it verified then MB will send you a badge for the grill. Its the only car people actually brag about high mileage! Also thse old diesels ran on a vacuum system. If the vacuum isn't working well or goes out, you can't turn the car off with the key. On top of the engine is a big red "STOP" lever. Its the only car that won't stop running! Most people worry about their car starting, this one you have to worry about getting it to stop!

Amazingly, the parts are very reasonably priced and easily available. I also have a '94 and '95 Geo Tracker (Suzuki Sidekick). So far on the MB the waterpump and starter were cheaper to fix than on the Trackers. Even the airfilter is less. Mine is an '80 and it still looks like an engine, no computers/circuits/wires and is fairly easy to work on, room in the engine and the hood will fold back to the windshield. My girfriends uncle has an '06 CLS 55 AMG, the engine looks like it is from a Jedi fighter ship.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Dear Eric :)

thanks for interacting on this subject on 70 to 80's benz cars.even i favour less of digital & computerised gadgtery.since its less cumbersome to get it repaired & costs less.but iam very sorry to tell the state of mordern benz since its like a flight cockpit...with indicators,sensors,readings....etc.

all i want is a car that keeps going on & on...and i think even one member had recently had purschased one of these..and had quoted his experience,saying he loves it.

here there are lots of those models avaliable and mostly in doctors hands.and few in those who have brought it to india after working in the gulf countries...these guys have no intention of selling.they are low on milage and the paint coat is still its original.they tell all that they keep replacing is the engine oils,oil filters,worn out door hinges,fan belts,elec bulbs & tyres...

i wish to call that benz model as 'The Rock' :)

thanks & love,

By the way indians all love diesel powered cars since their is vast price difference,as diesel is quite subcidised by the goverment.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

OK, I confess I don't know what the car is, and I was really looking at the palms. But the car was kind of cool looking too.

And included is the back shot of the car as well, but man, look at those palms, err, I mean the car.

post-1207-1210810584_thumb.jpg

post-1207-1210810846_thumb.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

53benzo-1.jpg

Hey that's a nice car! Yes I appreciate that.

I really love the look of the classic Benz-es up to the 1970's- well practically all makes up to that point actually. They were all just a lot less boxy than cars of today.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Here is a rare car ............

20080510_0135.jpg

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon

The W123 models with diesel engines are probably one of the most reliable cars ever built. There are many still on the road today with hundreds of thousands of miles. When you reach certain mileage points, you can take your car to a local MB dealer to have it verified then MB will send you a badge for the grill. Its the only car people actually brag about high mileage! Also thse old diesels ran on a vacuum system. If the vacuum isn't working well or goes out, you can't turn the car off with the key. On top of the engine is a big red "STOP" lever. Its the only car that won't stop running! Most people worry about their car starting, this one you have to worry about getting it to stop!

Very true. The 123 and 124 body Mercedeses were the last "over- engineered" cars made by Mercedes--meaning they did not rely too much on gadgetry and they were simply mechanically sound and very well built with no computers or complex electronics to get in the way. There is a cult following for those cars over here and they are very collectible as "hobby cars".

Does anyone watch TOP GEAR with Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May? Its a British Auto show (they are mean to Americans and America though). They had an Africa Special where they got 3 non-off road cars and they had to cross the 'spine of Africa' a 1000 mile journey (I think) that took them a cross the plains, dessert and other challenging terrain. On of the cars was a Diesel Mercedes Benz w123 model - it was the only car that did not have any mechanical problems. It just kept going ang going and going-- like the energizer bunny.

I love that show! but yanks might find it offensive

Eric- congratulations on your choice of car

Gene

Manila, Philippines

meaning they did not rely too much on gadgetry and they were simply mechanically sound and very well built with no computers or complex electronics to get in the way.

I had a truck like that once, clean and clear under the hood. So refreshing to look under the hood and actually be able to see the whole engine. I put 265,000 miles on that truck, before my boss refused to promote me if I didn't get a new vehicle. I think he was kidding, but I am not sure. Of course withouth all of those computers and complex electronics it got a solid 10-12 mpg too, as compared to my new F150 which averages just under 20mpg.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Update on the Benz restoration project. I was able to find a "Donor Car" which basically means this car will donate all his vital organs to the car I am renovating. Got it really cheap too-- the whole car only cost me as much as the price of 2 bumpers (based on the prices I have seen in on-line mercedes benz parts suppliers). So big savings there.

If there is enough of the donor car left after this project. I am tempted to restore it as well. the engine is still workable but then again I have to search for a donor car for this one as well.--- there goes your never ending hobby cycle. much like palms. :rolleyes:

post-1017-1210933958_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines