Sign in to follow this  
Gaston in Argentina

SyagrusXmataforme

Gaston in Argentina

Just for report that small SyagrusX mataforme (S. vagans X S. coronata) F2 yet with entire long leaves, growing exposed didnt passed my winter with minnima of -6º C. on july 9th 207.-

Something possitive for the specie that another ones planted a bit more protected defoliated in the expossed leaves but are still alive and recovering quickly now.-

So, the limit range must be close to the minus 6º C.- , too resistent considerating the origing of this rare palm.-

Another thing, as many hybrids, this specie is considerably fast growing when planted in the ground and not problem with the droughtness.-

Austinpalm

Planted a 4ft tall plant, all strap leaves in full sun last summer. It survived 1 night at 25F and light frost with little overhead protection. Approximately 60% damage to fronds but spear was okay. 3 new fronds have grown this summer, with a 4th trying to get started.

Austinpalm

Same plant as described earlier surivived another winter with a low temp of 28F and no frost. Several nights with low 30's/upper 20's without frost and always rising to at least 40F during the day had no effect on this palm.

Austinpalm

This palm exhibited significan damage from 16F. Originally appeared dead, In an effort to save it, I cut the stem down to within 3 inches of the ground. After about 3 weeks it started growing. Palm is under partial canopy and was protected with leaves and a plastic bucket. Unfortunately I do not have a good picture of it yet.