IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can these be dug & moved?

Dypsisdean

I have a friend who has a chance to buy a large Pritchardia beccariana and Chambeyronia macrocarpa in the ground. They both have about 6-8 feet of trunk. These are in So Cal and he would need to dig them soon. He will have a crane and is knowledgable about moving palms in general. He asked me if I had any personal experience with these two, and I don't. Can anyone tell me what he should expect if he tries to dig and move these.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Jessie Bergman and I moved a 15g. sized Chambeyronia.  It had only been in the ground for a couple of years and we dug up a  huge 20 gallon root ball.  We did cut through roots and it was not phased at all.  He also moved a Pritcharidia but I don't remember the details, maybe your friend can call him at the nursery for more details.  Sorry, no info on anything larger.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

dean i moved a SMALL C.macrocarpa a few years ago & it survived but it took a while for it to "bounce back".not sure what will happen with a larger,more established palm...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I've moved a Chamby. It went fine with the move, except it went from mostly shade to mostly sun, so the leaves responded accordingly. It's okay now though after 18 months.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ken, Thanks.

I gave my buddy your number.

If anybody has more info, please continue posting.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I've dug up two Chambeyronia Macrocarpa's in my garden successfully, one was moved twice. I also know of one Prichardia moved.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I had a Pritchardia affinis that was struggling in full sun because it's a variegated piece of crap.  Anyway, after two growing seasons I decided I couldn't look at the burnt leaves anymore so I dug it out.  It was a good sized palm with a couple cm of clear trunk, but since I didn't care much about it I just hacked it out and crammed it into a 15 gallon pot.  I cut a LOT of roots when digging it, and I think I even dropped it after I pulled it out of the ground.  This was in late September 2005, and the palm survived and has kept growing like nothing happened...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

...because it's a variegated piece of crap.

That's pretty funny Jack. :laugh:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Pritchardias are tough and hardy (the Hawaiian ones) and while I've never moved one myself, I would expect them to move relatively easily.  I've committed HEINOUS atrocities on some of my potted specimens, and they bounced right back, boink!

Gary is the KING of "plant now, worry later, move if you have to."  If I have a question, I ask him, since he has moved lots of palms.

And, like P's Chambeys are also tough, though slow.  Do protect ones you're moving from the shade into the sun.  The summer time is best, since they're growing the fastest and will root in a LOT quicker.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.