IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

An Ohana Nui music post

Walter John

I'd like to dedicate this next song to any embattled forum members who might need to take their aggressions out in a positive manner

LIMP BIZKET

"Break Stuff"

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

(palmmermaid @ Nov. 13 2007,12:45)

(tank @ Nov. 13 2007,11:37)

Artist:

Townes Van Zandt

Song:

Pancho and Lefty

From "Live at the Old Quarter" cd

Oh, but you must hear the original version with Willie Nelson.  I love the minor guitars and Willie's voice.  Love the words to this as well.  

I like songs where I can actually learn the words and sing along.  I am partial to Jimmy Buffet, Marty Robbins, Gary Allen (his "Smoke Rings in the Dark" gives me shivers every time I hear it), Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney.

I was in high school in the mid-60s but hated the music.  It just grates on my nerves.  Now when I am home working I listen to big band music on cable or new age.

Kitty,

Townes originally wrote the song.

Although, I do like the version by Willie Nelson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancho_and_Lefty

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I shoulda put a warning on that Limp Bizket:

EXPLICIT LYRICS!

Tried to edit it but it was too late, wouldn't let me.

"Under The Influence" - James Morrisson

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

"Salvation" - The Cranberries

This is one of my very favorite Avenged Sevenfold songs:

MIA

I listened to it on Veteran's Day, in honor of my father. If you'd like to see the video, go to youtube and search "Avenged Sevenfold MIA for the full version.

I won't put the link here due to possible controversial subject matter

I saw 'Heaven and Hell' last weekend at Wembley Arena.  My hearing just recovered enough to type :)

Heaven and Hell, for the un-initiated, is half of Black Sabbath - Tony Iommi and Geezzer Butler - with little Ronnie Dio at the front and Vinnie Appice on drums.  In fact wasn't that line up Black Sabbath for a while?  Anyway, disappointing.  Iommi riffing was just THE BEST I have ever seen, Mr Appice was a damned fine drummer, the rest was ordinary and it was all too loud.

They were supported by Iced Earth and Lamb of God.  Iced Earth seemed ok but only did 30 minutes.  

Lamb of God.  Not sure I have ever heard anything worse in my life - with apologies to those folks who enjoy that kind of mayhem.  Louder than H&H, just a huge wall of noise.  Well, the sound check was ok.  

The drums went Diddle-a-diddle-a-diddle-a for an hour - he must have had a quadruple bass pedal at least to keep it going so fast.  

The bass and guitars went widdle-a-widdle-a-widdle-a for an hour, loudly.  

The vocalist went ANWARGWRAHAGRDWARNGWHAR for an hour - with some kind of voice effect that made him sound like an alien.  Or maybe he was, I couldn't tell.  

Some young people in the crowd seemed to like them because they whirled around in a circle pushing and punching each other.

I think I am getting too old for this kind of thing.

'The Essex Riviera'

Southeast England, UK

winter min usually -5C

Summer max usually 35C

Rainfall usually 20" (500mm)

Oh well to each his own, Lamb of God is one of my favorite bands, LOL

Really!  Are you able to communicate what it is about them that is appealing?  I don't mean that sarcastically - I am genuinely curious how something that I found so awful can be so good to someone else: and with both of us being heavy metal fans.

'The Essex Riviera'

Southeast England, UK

winter min usually -5C

Summer max usually 35C

Well, Paul, I don't know if I can explain it to you but I'll try :;):

Unlike you (apparently, LOL), I can actually understand pretty much every word that comes out of Randy Blythe's mouth when he sings. I know, you don't think he is "singing"...okay, so he's a demon growler. I happen to like that style.

I also really respect the lyrical content of the band's music. They are extremely political (in that they denounce the corruption, manipulation, and usery that they feel the people in power today wage against the common guy on the street, among other issues), they are anti war, which I like, they are Southern (from Virginia) but their perspective on world events is global, they are anti-organized religion (and so am I), they disdain hypocrisy, and I guess it will always be said that they may be a bit nihilistic, but I think they have a pretty good grasp of the way the world is declining around our ears.

They are all college educated, some of the members of the band have advanced degrees. They aren't 20-somethings just out to chase women and abuse heroin (although I am certain that they probably do their share of that too), they are in their mid to late 30's and older, so I feel that they are somewhat my peers and that their beliefs parallel my own on subjects of religion, mysticism, etc. They's been around for almost 20 years (they played under another name before becoming Lamb of God), they aren't newcomers to the metal scene or the music scene in general, they have been Grammy nominated and have a certified Gold performance DVD under their belts (Killadelphia, which is just one of the most KICKA$$ pieces of documentary concert filmmaking you can ever watch.)

They have been voted among the most influential and best metal bands on the face of the planet by various industry critics for years, and have an absolutely HUGE fan base that spans all continents. ALl those folks can;t be wrong, LOL

They don't sing abouy SEX and LOVE which is a big, BIG plus in my book. Hate that stuff.

I think that both Mark Morton and Will Adler are absolutely stellar technical guitarists, and I find the music to be complicated, multi-layered and not just a copy of other metal bands.

In short, I just like them, that's about all I can say.

Well, thanks for that Gina.  I realised they were big, but hadn't grasped their role in the scheme of things.  Maybe, if I were to hear some studio recorded material, I would get a better handle on it rather than just the loudness of the live performance.

Still not my cup of tea, mind you :)

'The Essex Riviera'

Southeast England, UK

winter min usually -5C

Summer max usually 35C

No, they're definitely not for everyone, but people who like them, really like them.

I don't think that there is any one overall true form of metal. There are a lot of different forms that people have tried to assign names or "subgeneras" to (plain old "heavy", thrash, death, speed, black, grind etc etc etc) but I think the artists themselves may not always particularly desribe themselves the way they are described by others. I think that these tags are used more by people who listen to the music to more describe styles rather than content, and by people who sell music to try to lure you to try bands based on pigeonholing them into "types".

People who say that they "don't like metal" have probably never really listened to a large array of it. Its like any other form of music, you may not truly embrace the whole show, but there may be one or two isolated artists that you do like. You have to wade through a lot of trash to find the ones you really like.

Its all metal, but you know that Metallica (old school heavy) sounds vastly different from Slayer (mainly truly thrash but also labeled as black [due to their nihilistic bent] and death), who sounds vastly different from Dimmu Borgir (true black but not the same reason as Slayer) who sounds different from Dragonslayer (speed) who sounds different from Opeth (unclassifiable to me but love them) who sound different from Hatebreed (Metalcore/Aggressive) etc etc etc , and many times these style lines can blur.

To me, its all just "metal". Its true that I don't like ALL metal/metalcore music. (Metalcore is a term used to describe metal fused with punk hardcore). There are many bands that I just can't stand, because, well, because they are talentless and just stink basically.

But its that way with ANY genre of music. I suppose there is "good" Hip Hop music, but IMO I have never heard any, so I tend to discount ALL Hip Hop as rubbish. The way some folks on this forum have said in the past they feel about all metal.

I am equally sure that somehow, somewhere, there's some acceptable rap music, but again, it hasn't found me, and I pretty much personally hate all rap except old school like Run DMC, old Beasty Boys, etc. and an occasional somewhat witty repartee by general overall loser Kid Rock.

And female singers like Celine Dion, Jessica Simpson, Beyonce/Enya/J-lo/Gwen Stefani/all other those type clones, might as well be singing to a wall if they are singing to me, LOL. But, to each his own, that's what make the world turn.

Amen.  I sometimes think I am caught up in a kind of time warp, musically - trapped in the early to mid 70s rock thing with only occasional glimpses of the outside world of music beyond.

Still, keeps me happy (if deaf).

So what about those rap/metal/pop stuff like Linking Park and Limp Bizkit?  I suspect a little commercial for your tastes.  I admit to a closet liking of a couple of Linking Park tunes, sadly.

'The Essex Riviera'

Southeast England, UK

winter min usually -5C

Summer max usually 35C

I do like some of the Linkin Park stuff from Meteora, like Crawling, etc.

Actually, my 13 year old is going to sing "Crawling" in the talent show at her school soon, in about a month.

Limp Bizket was  something I listened to for diversion 3-4 years ago, still like their old stuff (NOOKIE comes to mind)

I've always been pretty open to all genres of music. I enjoyed some rap back in the mid 90's and even early 2000's,but really the best stuff was just sampled from older stuff from the 70's and early 80's like George Clinton etc. I do love heavy metal..Or so I thought, I guess I am ignorant of all the different subgenera of metal. By the way, I liked the description of "demon growling"  :laugh:  That is a good description of some of this music. I suppose I am greatly influenced by what is played by the radio stations, fortunately there are two decent contemporary rock/metal stations in tampa. However, I am sure I am missing a hell of a lot. By the way, did I mention that I am interested in a wide array of music. I actually like Jazz (NOT SMOOTH JAZZ CRAP) and Latin music like Salsa and Meringue. Also various "alternative" bands, whatever that really means. Classical is also, well classical. On a decent sound system (or better yet live!), Beethoven and Mozart will mesmerize as much as any contemporary band. Just have to turn it up loud!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I agree, there is a lot of good music floating around. My husband is a jazz fiend. His collection has I believe everything that Miles Davis and John Coltrane ever put on vinyl/tape etc. He also has lots of artists that I know are "big" but don't know much about, like Shorty Rogers, Dexter Gordon, McCoy Tyner and a hundred others.

I was actually a music major for a while (an even when I changed over to a major in Zoology and then went to Nursing School, I still played in community orchestras and the like, so I have played (and listened to) more than my share of classical music.

I have always kind of hated radio rock, I don't like being spoonfed what other people think I should be hearing from a group of set playlists that play the same songs over and over ad nauseum, and I don't like to listen to music that has been censored for content. My husband signed up for satellite radio in his can via Sirius, and I have to admit, I don't really think its all that much better than regular radio. They too seem to have set playlists, and while they do play things in their original form, uncut, they still play things into the ground just as much as regular radio does.

Sometimes I think I am too narrow about my focus in music, and I will make a real and true endeavor to "broaden my horizens" by listening to other stuff, but it always turns out the same...I just don't like stuff like reggae and R and B and  most Blues or Oldies or Hip Hop or Techno, and no matter how I try, I can't make myself like it. More than not liking it, I just don't get it, it doesn't speak to me. I can listed to some of the stuff that the kids call punk EMO nowadays (but have to admit I see no real relationship between it and true punk like Social Distortion, Clash, Black Flag, Fugazi etc)..to me it sounds like just general "radio rock".

EVen though I am narrow in my own focus, I don't get offended by people like Kim, who made the statement that she was checking out everything people were posting about except the metal. I understand her position, its not for her, and she knows that, so why waste her time?

Hi Gina, I've read all your posts here on this thread which I found most interesting. I guess I really like to hear about what people are finding for the first time, new music, new artists. Whilst I love the tried and true, I especially love finding new artists or new versions of songs. They don't have to be new to the scene, new recordings etc, they can be old as the hills but if they are new to you and you like, let us know. I got a tip to the band "Blue October" from someone here on the board.

I wonder what palms would like to listen to. Hmm...probably artists like, JJ Cale, Jimmy Buffet, Neil Young, what do you think Gina, what would your plants like to hear, they say they like classical music but I don't know, I reckon some plants like cycads for instance, could get into some heavy metal too. I have an Encephalartos ferox which yawns to James Taylor but bounces lively to much rockier sounds. :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

You know what I heard that I really liked?

Its was on the local EMO station. Its a remake of an old Morrissey somg called "Every Day is Like Sunday" by a French band called "Fait or Trouble".

Its one of the best remakes I've ever heard, but unfortunately, its apparently not available (yet) as its some sort of single only for DJ play.

There are also a few remakes I  like by a band called "Deadsy", one of Rush's "Tom Sawyer" and one of the Rolling Stones "Paint it Black".

As to new CD's just coming out, the new Avenged Sevenfold (A7X) is really good. They have some of their signature sound on it, with screaming guitar riffs and heavy drums, but also have gone in some entirely new directions (as in the last song on the disc, "Dear God" which has a pedal steel guitar in it and a definite country-rock feel.) They also have a female backup singer on a few tracks, something they have never had before. I know some of their hardcore Death Metal fans are probably about to drop kick them, but I like this CD.

For rock bands in the "hard rock" classification (like Blue October) my fave for best new recent release is Three Day's Grace. They are a great band from Canada.

My plants would hate anything but metal...they've grown up on it after all, heh heh.

"Can't Cry Anymore" - Sheryl Crow

"Thunder Road" - Bruce Springsteen

"The Dead Heart" by Midnight Oil.

Gina, I don't know if this group is heavy metal or not.  But I do like their protest songs.  Reminds me of some from the 60's, when I was burning my bras and raising hell about VietNam.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

"Waiting For The World To Change" - John Mayer

There's a protest song for you Kitty.

if you really want to hear about protest, I am being dragged kicking and screaming to see The Fabulous Thunderbirds while we are here in Dallas.

Ugh.

If we were only going to get to stay til Dec 4 I could see Lamb of God too!!!!!!

Drag.

(metalfan @ Nov. 21 2007,14:44)

if you really want to hear about protest, I am being dragged kicking and screaming to see The Fabulous Thunderbirds while we are here in Dallas.

Ugh.

If we were only going to get to stay til Dec 4 I could see Lamb of God too!!!!!!

Drag.

Wahhhh.  :P

I'll call you a "Wahmbulance"... :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wal!  (At least, I think it is Wal ???) - Beatles covers.

I was aimlessly YouTubing this afternoon and found this cover of Day Tripper by Whitesnake.  Early Whitesnake, whilst David Coverdale still wore his own nose, teeth and hair.

They claim it is a rarity so maybe you haven't encountered it.

Edit, the link says null, but it still works

'The Essex Riviera'

Southeast England, UK

winter min usually -5C

Summer max usually 35C

(Paul S @ Nov. 22 2007,09:57)

Wal!  (At least, I think it is Wal ???) - Beatles covers.

I was aimlessly YouTubing this afternoon and found this cover of Day Tripper by Whitesnake.  Early Whitesnake, whilst David Coverdale still wore his own nose, teeth and hair.

They claim it is a rarity so maybe you haven't encountered it.

Edit, the link says null, but it still works

Thanks Paul. I culled my Beatles covers ages ago, I may have had this version I don't recall it though. I have "Daytripper" by ELO and another by Tommy Emmanuel.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

"96 tears" - Question Mark and The Mysterians

"1234" - Feist

(palmmermaid @ Nov. 20 2007,09:42)

"The Dead Heart" by Midnight Oil.

Gina, I don't know if this group is heavy metal or not.  But I do like their protest songs.  Reminds me of some from the 60's, when I was burning my bras and raising hell about VietNam.

Hi Kitty

Lead singer of Midnight Oil, Peter Garret will become a federal minister of the Australian Government within a week.

This band has pleased music lovers of varied music genres including metal.

Must listens include "US Forces", "Beds are burning", "Redneck wonderland", "Truganini", the list goes on and on actually. I have about 40 in mp3 format, pm if interested.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Wal,

Thanks for the info.  I will be PM'ing you today.

Glad to hear he is taking office.  We could use some radicals of the right kind here in Palm Beach County!

I love their songs.  "Beds are Burning" is one of my favorites.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

"How Long" - Eagles

"Can't Believe A Single Word" - VHS or Beta

"Hard Sun" - Eddie Vedder

utubelink

"This Christmas"  Donny Hathaway

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

My husband loves the new Godsmack cover of Led Zepplin, have you heard it?

(metalfan @ Nov. 28 2007,19:34)

My husband loves the new Godsmack cover of Led Zepplin, have you heard it?

Good times Bad times, yes I have heard it, this is an old song by the Zep, this is a good cover indeed.

They were great songs weren't they ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

"Rain In The Summertime" - The Alarm

(Wal @ Nov. 28 2007,16:07)

take it back

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)