IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

An Ohana Nui music post

Walter John

Well I thought it time to make my move in the old ohanna

Nouie nouii, oh baby, I gotta go.

Yi-yi-yi-yi-yi

Nouie nouii, oh baby, I gotta go.

So what's some music you've heard lately you like, that's at least new to you ?

For me, it's Bryan Ferry's album "Dylanesque". Excellent covers of the man, especially "Simple twist of fate" and "All along the watchtower".

Another is Bob Schneider, some great songs by this guy.

What's got your attention music lovers ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

all i've heard lately is hawaiian music & there are alotta WEIRD hawaiian cover versions of songs you NEVER wanted to hear again in yer life,like "country roads".

i am not kidding.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(pohonkelapa @ Nov. 02 2007,04:08)

all i've heard lately is hawaiian music & there are alotta WEIRD hawaiian cover versions of songs you NEVER wanted to hear again in yer life,like "country roads".

i am not kidding.

:D  :D  :D

Have you played anything there yourself Paul ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

nice to hear from you,wal.we were talking about you lately.only in glowing terms,of course.

i was hoping dean would have an axe laying around,but no such luck.

no shortage of amazing palms here,tho.whenever theres a lull in the action its easy to walk around deans garden & see an incredible palm you may have missed the first time around.

still "warning-free."

Wal--

I heard a new bit I liked on the radio by a band called 'Pinback', but I don't remember the name of the tune...typical of me, sorry Wal.

So Paul, tell me about some good Hawaiian music that the locals listen to.  Heard any?  The last time I was there I bought a couple of CD's, they make a much better-than-average souvenir.  Camizero Brothers? Masters of the Slack Key Guitar?  Something like that.

(Hope you are taking lots of pictures!)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I hear a lot of teenybopper music in my house. 13 year old daughter. nuff said.

My garage is my only safe zone where I listen to XM radio. Mostly the comedy channel for me. Pretty raunchy, but it keeps me laughing my tale off.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Most of my 18 year-old son's music is too chaotic for me, but I have to admit I'm loving Porcupine Tree. Especially the more melodic / less metal songs like "Sound of Muzak", "Melotron Scratch" and "My Ashes".

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(PiousPalms @ Nov. 02 2007,10:27)

Yay a music thread!

I decided to pull out some Hawaiian music last night, Paul and Matt had me jealous... Lucky ducks!

Sleepwalk performed by Hapa

41N21ZD1G1L._SS500_.jpg

gonna get me some of dat William, I wonder if that ole downloadin' thang still works. Play it to the garden  :)

I've heard some "Pinback", nice easy lay back listening. San Diego band I see. I think Bob Schneider hails from Texas, get onto him.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

hey,careful about pix of dewds in skirts,some people get really uptight about that kinda stuff due to their own insecurities & cultural snobbishness.they just can't help it.

:) mahalo.

all the hawaiian music i've heard so far has been really mellow,i think thats the isalnd vibe but its a bit too "somnambulent"for me at times.makes great background music,tho!

still "warning-free."

No kilt, no tapa skirt, and no hakama for men?  I hope no one would get offended by any cultures choice in attire...  

Dang, I forgot this is the PC Palapa...  :P

Disclaimer: The above comments are purely and solely the opinion of one person and in no way represent the opinion or beliefs held by the IPS, its members, or executives.

I've actually been listening to an "old" CD lately, In Flames "Reroute to Remain".

Somehow, it got stuck back in the hinterlands of the CD collection and I recently pulled it back out.

Special track"

"Metaphor"

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

(Kim @ Nov. 02 2007,06:46)

Wal--

I heard a new bit I liked on the radio by a band called 'Pinback', but I don't remember the name of the tune...typical of me, sorry Wal.

So Paul, tell me about some good Hawaiian music that the locals listen to.  Heard any?  The last time I was there I bought a couple of CD's, they make a much better-than-average souvenir.  Camizero Brothers? Masters of the Slack Key Guitar?  Something like that.

(Hope you are taking lots of pictures!)

I Like them too, Kim.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Holy cow! I just had to experience "Solja Boy" (once again 13 year old daughter and her friends). SAVE ME!!!!

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

If you think just listening to "Soulja Boy" is trash, try watching the video. Ugh. I am fortunate that my 12-almost 13 year old likes bands more along my taste...Rise Against, Drowning Pool, Green Day, Against Me, Avenged Sevenfold, SLipknot.....

I like the latest "White Stripes" too.    I am trying to be a "pimp and a prostitute too..."  :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

On a Hawaiian collection, been grooving to Keali'is Reichel's  Ipo Lei Momi with Jake  Shimabukuro on 'uke. Puts me back on  the North Shore...

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

hawaiian radio plays ALOT of covers & the originals are about rotisserie chicken.

i'm hungry.

still "warning-free."

I've been listening to a band called Locksley. If you like The Beatles, Kinks, Joe Jackson, White Stripes you'll dig them. They describe their music as The Beatles mixed w/ modern garage rock. The lead singer sounds like Paul McCartney. Check out the track She Does.

http://www.myspace.com/locksley

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Well I am a big fan of System of a Down. Always have been. The lead singer (serj tankian) has done a solo "project" that actually seems to rock. I have heard a few songs, but I don't own the album yet. I probably will buy it. The album is called Elect the Dead. I have not heard it all but probably very political at times and dark the rest of time. By the way metalfan, nice selection. You must be a great mother to have!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Bill,

my daughter and her friends are Naruto and Manga junkies. They take Naruto clips, put them to music and post them on YouTube.

They view other people's clips incessantly, and since they are mainly "battle scenes" the music has to be fast and furious. So she likes Korn, Slipknot, A7X, AFI, Spineshank, and all sorts of other stuff.

They don;t use any Hip Hop or Rap in these things so that's GREAT IMO, as that is anaethama to the true heavy metaler, LOL

Dave Gahan, lead singer of Depeche Mode, has a solo CD out. The first single is 'Kingdom' and is a great song. It also has a good video which means you won't see it on MTV.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

pohonkelapa your post made crack up!  I remember my first time here in Hawai`i, in 1998 before moving here, I was driving around Kaua`i and was really cracking up with some of the local creations, I'm afraid I'm partial to classic Hawaiian music.

piouspalms, I was really impressed when I saw Hapa in concert.  They opened for Bonnie Raitt at the Waikiki Shell, apparently she is also a fan.  :)  The haole guy is really amazing on that guitar.

Eric in Orlando, thanks for the link of Dave Gahan's 'Kingdom' music video.  It was an awesome video and a cool song.  The light effects were sweet!, esp the light eminating through his teeth.

For my part, lately I have been loving Annie Lennox's newly released Album, Songs of Mass Destruction.  I've been a fan for a few years and every song is powerful.  Here's a link to her single "Dark Road"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCFbKEVzlOo

(Eric in Orlando @ Nov. 05 2007,12:58)

Dave Gahan, lead singer of Depeche Mode, has a solo CD out. The first single is 'Kingdom' and is a great song. It also has a good video which means you won't see it on MTV.

I liked Depeche Mode. The song is good, but when I watched, I couldn't help thinking of this.  

(Its a different place)  :D

(ruskinPalms @ Nov. 04 2007,21:44)

Well I am a big fan of System of a Down. Always have been. The lead singer (serj tankian) has done a solo "project" that actually seems to rock. I have heard a few songs, but I don't own the album yet. I probably will buy it. The album is called Elect the Dead. I have not heard it all but probably very political at times and dark the rest of time. By the way metalfan, nice selection. You must be a great mother to have!

I've had that CD for 2 weeks.  Its very good (similar to SOAD).

He is making a video for every song on the album.  About half of them are on youtube right now.

Zone 7a/b Delaware

Unusual Plants

I'm checking out all the stuff listed (except the metal, sorry Gina, it just isn't me, but it is so YOU, which is great, seriously, something for everyone).

I heard something a second time that I have also read about that I am going to buy, and I don't buy music that often anymore.  It's a dual effort between Robert Plant and Alison Krauss called 'Raising Sand', and the tune I heard was 'Gone, Gone, Gone' and it was HOT (by my definition).  Produced by T. Bone Burnett, so you know it's good!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Have any of you heard of Rosalie Allen?

Great 50s country singer.

"Queen Of the Yodelers".

I've managed to track down a couple of her lps.  Ebay, hurray!

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Howsa bout some old Megadeth...Countdown to Annihilation?

Remixed, remastered.

BTW, Tank, that Anthrax was from, oh about 1987, LOL, which is why it qualified for the "Austin Powers" treatment (so retro dontcha know?)

(metalfan @ Nov. 12 2007,13:29)

Howsa bout some old Megadeth...Countdown to Annihilation?

Remixed, remastered.

BTW, Tank, that Anthrax was from, oh about 1987, LOL, which is why it qualified for the "Austin Powers" treatment (so retro dontcha know?)

Among the living is my fav from them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nYejkFKb9A

Anthrax were one of the few decent metal/punk crossovers.  Always thought of them as a cross between Black Flag and Iron Maiden.

I was 14 or 15 when I picked up the tape.  I think my mom threw it in the garbage.  One day when I wasn't at home.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

(jenks @ Nov. 12 2007,15:31)

Causey Way - Word Problems just played followed by 7-Seconds - Walk Together Rock Together

Wow,

This is great.  I happened to have 7 seconds "The Crew" my harddrive.  "Heres your warning"!

The Causey Way are from where I'm at.  Always reminded me of DEVO.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Oh yeh big hair on that old Anthrax clip! Ian just don't look like that anymore! Love his little braided beard now though, Sexy. Him and Wayne Static.

(tank @ Nov. 13 2007,11:37)

Artist:

Townes Van Zandt

Song:

Pancho and Lefty

From "Live at the Old Quarter" cd

Oh, but you must hear the original version with Willie Nelson.  I love the minor guitars and Willie's voice.  Love the words to this as well.  

I like songs where I can actually learn the words and sing along.  I am partial to Jimmy Buffet, Marty Robbins, Gary Allen (his "Smoke Rings in the Dark" gives me shivers every time I hear it), Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney.

I was in high school in the mid-60s but hated the music.  It just grates on my nerves.  Now when I am home working I listen to big band music on cable or new age.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL