IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New palm- Anyone seen one like it?

BS Man about Palms

This is a palm that is worth the wait.  I find it to be very attractive and  the coloring with the more tan brown on the trunk is a little different than its cousins in the genus.   I just hope that this one which has split into the trunks will remain at the three and not split again.  Its in a tight space next to the walkway and the cycad behind it.

20210726-BH3I4799.jpg

20210720-BH3I4739.jpg

20210720-BH3I4740.jpg

• Like 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I'll hafta get a photo of mine that I got in a swap with Pogo over 20 years ago. Growing nicely, slow but steady, in the front.

12 hours ago, Tracy said:

20210720-BH3I4739.jpg

That’s the money shot! So cool looking. Should be epic in another decade or so :D

14 minutes ago, Billeb said:

Should be epic in another decade or so 

Slow to this point, but I think it is ready to hit the accelerator now.  On the largest split trunk, you can see that the spacing between emerging leaves is starting to space out finally, and the length of the newest leaf is now significantly longer than the earlier leaves.  This is pretty typical of the Madagascar palms to go from übermäßig slow to moderate growers as they age.

Planted out 20 years ago from a one gallon. Pogo said 'Sick Willy'. Gonna clear the awning this year.

c.jpg

b.jpg

Edited by Gonzer
  • Upvote 1

On 7/27/2021 at 2:20 PM, Gonzer said:

Planted out 20 years ago from a one gallon. Pogo said 'Sick Willy'. Gonna clear the awning this year

I think you should tear it out before it damages that awning!  :mrlooney:  Another alternative is you can dig it out and bring it over to my house .... far far away from that awning and plant it here.

On a more serious note, if mine takes 20 years like yours to get to that size, I have a decades long race going between the palm and adjacent cycad as they compete for the "top" spot.

7 hours ago, Tracy said:

I think you should tear it out before it damages that awning!  :mrlooney:  Another alternative is you can dig it out and bring it over to my house .... far far away from that awning and plant it here.

On a more serious note, if mine takes 20 years like yours to get to that size, I have a decades long race going between the palm and adjacent cycad as they compete for the "top" spot.

Hell Tracy, that's the beauty of gardening (if ya don't have kids like us), you kick back and watch 'em grow, slow and steady. Just like my sig line.

• Like 1