IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New palm- Anyone seen one like it?

BS Man about Palms

I just got this palm at JD Andersens last weekend and I really think its beautiful and worth its cost. (much)

It has been know in these parts as a Dypsis "Slick Willie" for some time.  Also has been known as a Dypsis Bef, and Dypsis Brevinodus too.  (I think in Australia?)

This one is very unusual as:

A.  It is single trunked (most are multiple trunked) and

B.  It is fairly large, rarely do I see any of these larger than a very fine leafed "bush" as they grow so slow.

singleslickwillie001.jpg

Now, some of you have heard or seen or remember a thread on these as to the claim that they are a Dypsis Ohnilahensis.  BUT when you see the two together AS THEY GROW, you realise they are not the same at all!

more...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Now...as I was saying, (if the pic got your attention) This palm will usually (if multiple) have 2, 3, 4 or sometimes more "trunks" as it were. BUT they happen UNDER the soil line, NOT above AND have a very large heel as they grow.  ALL the Dypsis Ohnilahensis I have seen will sucker at or above the soil line, whereas this baby may take 5-8 years to just get the base of A petiole to end up ABOVE the soil.

I'll have to get a pic of another multi- I have to show what they look like. It is a lot smaller.

I suspect this guy is at least 10 years old, but I think will move at a better clip now.

singleslickwillie002.jpg

singleslickwillie003.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

And here is pic of the trunk...

singleslickwillie004.jpg

Wal, Clayton, Mike, Daryl, Jeff, Bo,...... Bueller?     :)

PS- I believe its in a 20 gal tub for size reference.

I remember that palm when you and I went there and you bought your mutlitrunk Slick Willie. I rememebr how much it cost and all I can say is you need help. But I guess that is not new news to you. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

(LJG @ Oct. 31 2007,19:06)

I remember that palm when you and I went there and you bought your mutlitrunk Slick Willie. I rememebr how much it cost and all I can say is you need help. But I guess that is not new news to you. :)

Yes, on occasions it ended up it some dreams I had since I was there that day.....probably had a Ranch Hand hiding behind it in my dream too..... :P

PS- Thanx Dave, I just lust after them...thats my job.

:) Hi  Bill

What  do  you  think  of  this  for  a  look  alike, Let me know  your  thoughts,  Two  pictures  for  you  to  check

out.   I'll  let you  know  what  they are  soon  as  you've

had  a good  look.

Catch-up  soon ,  Regards   Mike

post-657-1193905095_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

one  more. :)

post-657-1193905289_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

you want me to come over & dig a hole for it?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Mike-

I do see "some" similarities, but this was green house grown, so I think the petioles are longer on mine due to that. I think the "sun" grown ones will be shorter. Then I think some of the similarity will go away.

PLUS- the big thing is, I see ALOT of single trunks in your picture. Around here at least, the norm is multi-trunks with the occassional single.    I think in another year or two, mine will look more different to yours than it does now.

Thanks for the reply! :)

Paul- They'll be plenty of time for that when you're old and grey........ :P

(LJG @ Oct. 31 2007,22:06)

I rememebr how much it cost and all I can say is you need help.

Now......you guys have to tell us how much!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 01 2007,06:57)

(LJG @ Oct. 31 2007,22:06)

I rememebr how much it cost and all I can say is you need help.

Now......you guys have to tell us how much!

What if you guess?  :D  And remember Palms cost more in So Cal for some reason....

It's kind of hard to tell(your pic.'s don't show the entire palm), but it looks alot like the stiff leaf form of D. onilahensis. Which means it won't be one of these big leaf emergent palms out of the ground. They actually start to form some trunk at an early age, and the leaves in the pictures tell me it won't be a real large palm. I have both forms and they do look different from each other.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff- Can you post a pic of one of yours?  ANd does it have a heel that big?  (note the tub picture)

is it just me... or are those leaves and petioles a little Ravenea-looking??

there are almost as many unknown raveneas as unknown dypsis I would think...

(JD in the OC @ Nov. 01 2007,18:41)

is it just me... or are those leaves and petioles a little Ravenea-looking??

there are almost as many unknown raveneas as unknown dypsis I would think...

Yeah JD, I noticed that too. But the trunk is fairly "hair free" as such.

Bill,

Interesting...

The lack of white powder rules out any onilahensis I would think.

Dypsis tsaravoasira maybe? -the green form (not orange crush).

Bill,

First of all, I have no idea what it is. Leaflets remind me of 'bef', but stem/trunk looks a little bit different. I just grow these things. Don't ask me what they are! :P  :D

And JD,

I'm curious about your reference to a "green form tsaravoasira". After John Dransfield ruled out the possibility that "Orange crush" is D. tsaravoasira, my assumption has been that the real tsaravoasira is NOT in cultivation. If I'm wrong, I'd be thrilled to get some info and see some photos!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I thought that Mike's plants were Ravenea's. I know Bill's is not.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I think to know for sure, you need to put it in an oval room and put on the black light.

Moderator, oh Moderator.....

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

On  the  Ball  Len,

Only  the  2nd  pic  is  a  Ravenea, The  First  is  what

came  in  as  Dypsis  'sp' "Highland  Redneck",  we  know

thats  not  right,  Bill. Beattie  has  a  mature  one.

Hey  Bill,  I  have  other  areas  for  my   clumpers,

heres  a  picture  just  to  show  I've  not  only  got  single  Dypsis, :D  Cheers  Bill.

Mikey  :)

post-657-1193986869_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Mikey-

Now that you mentioned the first as a "highland redneck", its not that, I have a couple. The white pattern on the bottom of the petiole is a giveaway.  Heres mine.

kp-km-dm-9-20-07009.jpg

kp-km-dm-9-20-07014.jpg

I agree its not a Ravenea, but that last picture you sent is looking close to the idea.

(palmazon @ Nov. 03 2007,06:08)

I spy with my little eye a Cycas debaoensis

Yessir.

I saw that palm at Home Depot for $59.95. It was labeled Areca palm. Since I know you do not like common palms I will graciously take it off your hands for a small fee of course. All kidding aside whatever it is it is a very cool looking but , I am saying no on it being a Slick Willy.

San Marcos CA

• 1 year later...

Just a quick update here. The palm that was the point of this thread was planted by me yesterday. :D Its leaves are staying about the same size and you guessed it, its in a box. But I cut the wood off at just above ground level if that helps any of you quibblers out there. :P Sorry can't download pix for a while. Oh yes, planted next to the C. gigas.

[...]

I just got this palm at JD Andersens last weekend

[...]

Hey, BS - that is funny. My Lytocaryum hoehnei I ordered from Dan. :) An absolut kindly dealer, he tries everything to make feel the customers satisfied.

Much luck for your palm, it looks beautiful. B)

Best regards, Verena

Edited by Z4Devil

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

• 4 weeks later...

Verena- Sorry I missed your post earlier, but I am glad you were able to find what you wanted from Dan!

Anyway, heres a pic of this palm now planted. Pic taken a couple weeks ago.

post-27-1244174782_thumb.jpg

That's nice that you cut out two sides of the box so the gophers can walk in.

• Like 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

They have to show their tickets first.

BS Man - JD is a good friend of me. What a beuatiful palm. All the luck for it and you, my friend. :)

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

:floor::floor::floor:

actually its so the older gophers can get their walkers in there.

still "warning-free."

• 1 month later...

Probably not the best view, but here is today. In a year or 2 I'll trim those leaves and it will be beautiful! :D

post-27-1247347932_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

I have to say this guy is pretty happy here and starting to get a fat trunk!

post-27-1277788409614_thumb.jpg

post-27-12777885007346_thumb.jpg

yeah it looks great!nice coloration.

do you carry dr.pepper with you wherever you go?

still "warning-free."

I specifically thought of you when I took the picture. :D

Lookin very nice Bill, :drool:

How is your Lemurophoenix going ?

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Bill,

The more I think about it that sucker is just waiting for the box to rot out to be killed by a gopher. Did you wrap it in wire? I hope so. I am not sure what it is but gophers seek these out and travel long distances to kill them. Two stories:

1) Darian's Garden. All the way up by his drive. Hundreds of palms from his neighbors house to Slick Willie. A gopher skipped every palm and found SW and killed it recently (well it is close to death).

2) Brusseau's Garden. His jungle has hundreds of palms. SW was in the middle surrounded by many palms. A gopher went from his neighbors house also and walked at least 100 meters and found SW and killed it!

Both these gardens had many other palm choices too they simply avoided. Just looking out for you Bill.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin