IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FORUM ACTIVITY

gsn

Dick,

I'm still pondering your question"why would anyone want to grow a Butia in Hawaii". While I attempt to come up with a good answer, here's a photo of my Butia capitata. Hopefully I won't get banned for posting palm photos in the off-topic forum...! :D

Bo-Göran

post-22-1194563116_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

that is a lovely palm even tho some consider it "too common".

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Terry (osideterry),

Just wanted you to know that you're giving me way too much credit. I've "only" been into palms for the last 16 years or so, and I say "only" (and I mean that), because compared to many of the long time growers that I know in SoCal (Phil is obviously one of them, but there are others as well - most of them unfortunately not active on the Forum), I still feel I'm pretty new at this. And, BTW, I'm fairly certain I didn't post anything about the Sabal riverside! Ask me about Clinostigmas or Arecas or Cyrtostachys, though!! :D

Bo-Göran

And Dick - can't come up with a good reason why I planted that Butia, other than I like to push the envelope! :P

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo - I remembered you didn't post about the Sabal after I posted. You've been in this 4 times as long as me. The same freeze you lost all those palms in El Cajon, Oceanside Airport recorded 20F. If that ever happens again, I'm moving to Zone 11 also.

I do have a question though... Are you growing any cocos? Would it be like me planting washies?

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Terry,

Not a bad comparison actually! There are of course Cocos all over the place here, so I don't really need any on my property. However, I have planted 5 of of the Samoan dwarf variety (in 2 clumps, one with 2 and one with 3 palms), and then I also have ONE "standard" Cocos nucifera, but the ONLY reason for that is that a good friend from San Diego was here in Hilo looking for property, and he ended up in escrow on this very nice piece of oceanfront property in Hilo. He and I walked the property and there were Cocos volunteers ALL over the place, so he said "take one". So I did, and planted it here more for the connection with this friend than for any other reason. He ended up not buying the property, but I still have the palm!

Bo-Göran

Bo,

I only meant that a Butia growing in Hawaii would seem to me to be out of place since you can grow so many other beautiful tropical palms. I feel the same way about Washingtonias growing in S. Fla. as they just don't seem to fit there, but they look "natural" growing in California. Washingtonias are sort of the signature palm of Calif. even though a lot of people think their over done.

I saw a freeway outside of Ft. Lauderdale where the hiway dept. had planted a long row of Sabals about 4 feet apart. They looked rediculious, and that's what I would call overdone.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick,

Yeah, I know what you mean....when I'm out driving here on the island and I see a group of Washingtonias, I'm saying to myself WHY!!?? :P

Bo-Göran

And, BTW, I do NOT have any Washingtonias on our property. Just didn't seem right!

I tell you, your are right. I just whizzed through the posts tonight nothing to read. I sure miss the Palapa, that was my safety valve when there was nothing to read on the other posts. This OHANA NUI is like a corny version of the Palapa. I don't know, it's just not cutting it for me, no more talking about current events without the threat of being censored.

Can we still bag on Celebrities?,  that was fun.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?