IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ravena rivularis

ruskinPalms

I hope this is not a repeat but...

What info can everyone give about this common, yet beautiful species. Can they take frost, cold, full sun? I think that these look stellar if they are grown well. Really, I do not see many grown well.  I'm not sure why not.

Thanks!

Bill

Edit: Oops, sorry about the spelling (Ravenea)...Maybe new admin can fix 'er up. I really should preview fisrt...

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I had some in the field here in Ruskin, Fl.  They were burned by the hard frost but all survived and look like they did before the frost.

All the ones I have seen grown well get lots of water (rivularis as in by the river).  Full sun is fine as long as they get the water.  How much water?  More than a sprinkler for full sun plantings.  The best full sun ones I have seen were on the edge of ponds/creeks/lakes.  They were fat and maintained nice green foilage.

If water side planting is not an option...water like hell or put it in shade.

By the way, I have three I just removed from neighboring Sun City Center that are well grown.  Two fat trunk singles and a triple.  They were 15' from a lake and in full sun.

They are for sale.  Let me know if you are interested or want to see them.

Rob

(ruskinPalms @ Aug. 16 2006,20:06)

What info can everyone give about this common, yet beautiful species. Can they take frost, cold, full sun? I think that these look stellar if they are grown well. Really, I do not see many grown well.  I'm not sure why not.

Thanks!

Bill

Mine took 27F and only got a little brown spot on a frond.  It really didn't care.  It was in full sun.  No frost - but no protection either.

If my memory is correct, RLR was growing one in Houston.  They have more cold-hardiness than they might seem, possibly b/c they're fast-growing.  They do fine in St. Pete, so they should do well in Ruskin, too.

And they really are beautiful.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I have seven majesty palms in the ground (two 20 gallons just planted this summer). My oldest majesty has been in the ground for 5-6 years and it was sujected to the worst freeze I've experinced in the nine years I've lived here on Jan. 5, 2001. However, the palm was small and I protected it, hence it was not hurt. However, it got totally defoliated from the severe radiational freeze (my second worst freeze) this past Feb.14th. but as since grown back much of its canopy ; my other majesty palms I have planted in areas with tree canopy and they were't hurt.

From my experience, majesty palms don't tolerate much frost; temperatures below the high 20s; like lots of water and fertilizer and look best in less than full sun.

Photo below shows three majesty palms growing along a canal about a 1/2 block from the east side of a large lake, a few miles from my place. At this location, compared to mine, I estimate the USDA zone rating to be 10a-10b due to the lake influence.

347698226ClHzjb_th.jpg

by waltcat100

Mad about palms

All the info given is accurate to what I have experienced. These are really wonderful palms when properly grown.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I have a couple with some trunk and a couple little ones, and they took 28F one night with nary a scratch...

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Mine took 31F (-.5) without any damage.  Although I saw frost on my lawn I did not have it on any Majesty leaves.  As the others have said, full sun is fine if given ample water.  Plant directly into unammened clay for best water retention....they don't seem to mind.  I've grown 3 directly in clay and they all love the boggy heavy soil.  Mulch the top to keep from drying out.  Fertilize heavily and apply liberal amounts of Ironite or even better, blood meal to keep from yellowing. If we can do it here in CA then it's gotta be much easier in Fleriduh (as RLR would say)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thanks for input. Everytime I see pics of these things grown well and to maturity it is a reality check of just how nice these really look. I have some retention pond front property that these palms might like.....

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Here in the Big Orgy ("the OC"), they take full sun, but with lots of water.

Never seen a winter that tested their frost hardiness.  They're vital, vital things.

Louie Hooper's is about 30' (10 m) tall, and I just swoon.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.