IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Stand Up Paddleboard - Who does it?

www.dadluvsu.com

123001718_b1ff7bbefa_o.jpg

I gotta figure one of you guys rides or knows someone that does out there in Cali or Hawaii...  I'm interested, but dont wanna shell out the 2-3 grand to buy a board without trying it...  Just basically want to get some opinions and advice on the sport and ya'll are my best connections to CA and HI!  Virtually no one on the east coast rides SUPs so I can't even borrow a board to try it out and rentals are out of the question, they look at me like I'm speaking Chinese when I ask about it...

So here's the palm tree pic :;):  Some kinda Hawaiian thing-a-ma-bob to keep us on topic, sorta...  :cool:

loulu.jpg

Like kayaks and body boards these guys get in the way!!!!

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

2-3k?  I thought these guys were just using like a 12 footer long board.  It's fun to watch them.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Like kayaks and body boards these guys get in the way!!!!

I couldnt agree more.

By the way, these are growing at a beach where sup's, kayaks and bodyboards are given no respect.

August01-07050.jpg

18n. Hot, humid and salty coastal conditions.

Is he paddling out to sea?

Shouldn't he be going in the other direction?

Also, full suit with booties and maybe a hood, looks cold!

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

One of the Cocoa Beach lifeguards has taken up standup paddling at work (Florida Today story).  A good place to ask about learning the ropes in Fla. would be 2ndlight.com (which has a vigorous surfer-gardening forum).

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Agreed, like yakers and spongers, these guys will certainly get in the way on good breaks...  BUT there's never really good breaks in Florida, maybe 10 days out of the year will Delray have nice swells, tops.  Any decent surf means travelling upcoast, and in my younger days I'd be the first to ditch work or school and run off to surf. But I've mellowed and this looks like a mellow way to be out in the water daily and still be able to view those lovely V. splendida that grow nearby the beach! :;):

Matt, these boards are essentially longboards yes, but from what i get, a little bit flatter bottom, sharper rails and HUGER...  Up to 31" wide! and I've seen a couple that were 8" thick! :o  Sounds more like a river barge than a surfboard.  I've seen intro boards start at about $1000 and paddles start at 300 but of course I wanna be stylish so the new 2007 Laird SUP in wood and a crafty carbon fiber/wood combo paddle would run about the price of a economy car...  

Maybe if I get good enough to where I don't fall (as anyone could actually fall off one of these boats) I could paddle 8 miles up the intracoastal to work! :cool:

hangloose3vs0bn.gif

My brother and a few of his buddies do it. Not only are the boards expensive the paddles are 750$ to 1000$ apiece. Very good core workout and  a different way to surf. Not for me like surfing the old fashoined way. They mostly do it when its small maybe one or two do it after it is 6ft. I'll hook you up whenever you come out.

San Marcos CA

there are a lot of guys stand up paddling in pb county...if anyone is interested i will give you the name and number of the guy who is the east coast rep for one of the boards.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros