IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Update

Gtlevine

First I want to thank everyone for the support.

I made it to my house and as Bill said, I was shocked to see it was still standing. The 10 mile corridor where I am located looks like Hiroshima, every other house is gone and every power line is burned down to the ground for the entire length. It was the strangest experience I ever had to drive through this area and see so many of my friends and neighbors homes gone.

For me, I was one of the lucky ones, the fire blew through my property and missed my home and most of my palms. I lost 25% of my collection, but my rarest palms survived. Most of my tropical trees burned or blew down. I was real surprised to see most of my palms in my greenhouse still alive even though it was closed and the heat went to 130F in the structure.

I just got an estimate of one month before water or electricity is restored. My big challenge now is how to keep the remaining palms alive until water is restored. I guess I will have to load buckets of water in my truck and water palms individually. It will be a rough month or more, but compared to what my friends and others are going through I will just be grateful.

Best wishes for everyone else in need, this turned out to be the worst disaster in San Diego history.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Good luck Gary.  Call me if I can do anything.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

GARY!

Is your house still in good shape?  

Some of your tropical trees might resprout, especially if you get some rain.

I haven't seen pictures of your place, but I've seen -- first-hand -- the horrors of such a situation many times over my years out here.  So sad to hear you have to endure.

There but for the grace of the heavens and a lack of wind go I.

I'm gonna nag my neighbor for him to get rid of that cedar shake roof as he said was going to do . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Gary-

On the water issue, think big...  as in water trucks and storage tanks.  Ask the water district what they can do, perhaps they have some resources that can be made available on a temporary basis.  You have agricultural property, maybe the County Ag department has resources.  It wouldn't hurt to ask. You've been lucky so far, maybe you still have some luck left to help you with the water needs.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Hey guys, I just spoke w/ Gary and when he gets some time he's gonna come pick up a couple of 55 gallon plastic drums from me to try and rig them up for watering.  If anyone has a better idea or any gizmos for rigging up valves into the plastic drums he could use them.  The ones I've got look like the picture below.  They've got the two plastic screw tops on top.  The guy I got them from layed them down in his truck and used them to water a back road on his property so that's sort of the idea for gary's property.  Maybe if someone has any hose length, valves, etc. that would make Gary's life easier while he tries to get water to his palms both in ground and in the greenhouse that would be great.

post--1193246917_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I use those blue tanks to distribute chemicals to my crop...  I have an 8" hole saw I used on the top of the barrel (destroys the lid, but suits my purpose).... Cut a big hole and dropped in a spare 2500 Gallon/hour aquarium pump I had left over from disassembling my fishtank...  Got some clear poly tube at the home dpot and plugged it in...  It's not a super fast deivery method, but it's inexpensive and much faster than gravity feed...

Oooh good idea William.  Maybe he could rig up a submergable pump to run off of a ciggarette lighter 12V adapter for plugging into his truck.  Set up a  switch and then you could have low pressure water on demand.  Great ideas, keep 'em coming guys.  Gary's unreplaceable palms survived the santa ana winds and the fire so let's help him keep them alive through this recovery period.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

You should be able to get a hand pump that screws into the drum bung hole . Used them in the steel chemical drums at one old job . The 1000ltr pallet tanks are cheap and easily avilable around here . Galvanised wire around a white plastic tank .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Gary, if there is anything in pots that needs regular watering, let me know - perhaps you could truck them over here, where I still have water and electricity (and a free valve that could be set up however you need it).

The easiest, of course, is if it would start raining, which is not out of the question given that is almost November.  It may be a lot easier than you think.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Gary,

Just a thought...are there any neighbors that have swimming pools?  I know it would seem kind of strange to ask, but with so many homes devastated at least the water in the pools could be used.

I'm happy for you, but it is still going to be rough for many months.  Post if there are any things that you may need help with.  There is power in numbers.

-Ron-

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Gary,

Great to hear that the fire dodged you.  Re maintaining the plants, I'd start looking for an old used 2500 gallon tank.  They are typically plastic and this gallonage would be about 7 feet wide and 8 feet tall.  With the number of plants you have, 50g is a drop in the bucket.  I'd hook it up to a gasoline powered pump that could move at least eight gallons per minute (or more).  I'd hand water if that's possible as you can adjust where needed.  Or, as you'll have lots of other things to do, hire someone to water for you.  See if the water department can fill the tank for you every week.  You'd have to make a good argument for them to do it, but perhaps you'll get an understanding chap.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Gary, do you have an old well or bore somewhere in the near vicinity, maybe in a neighbours place? If you use the gasoline powered pump, you may be able to pump from that.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hello everyone, my first post here in an effort to help out a little. I wanted to share an idea I use at my farm where  I haven't access to water yet for some newly planted trees and such. There's a poly tank called a pick-up tank that's 210 gallons that will slide right inside a pick-up bed. I alsobought a 12 volt transfer pump at Harbor Freight for 30 bucks. I put a 12 volt car battery in the back of my truck to power the pump. It puts out just the right amount of water through a 75 or 100 ft. garden hose to water potted plants without disturbing the soil mix. I also use this to mix 200 gallons of liquid ferts. at a time as well as treat fire ant mounds too. I

We bought our 3000G poly storage tank a few years ago and it was ~$1500.  3500G of water delivered was $250 here a couple months ago.  The hardest part was finding potable water.  It took me at least a day and multiple calls to find water providers (especially at a reasonable rate) the first time a couple years ago.  

The other problem (at that time) was that almost all of the trucks had no free time for residential deliveries becasue they were under contract for firefighting and they didn't want to take the time to sanitize their truck.  If you don't need potable water for the house you could probably find someone to hook up to a hydrant.  The Red Cross or AG department may be able to source water for you.

55G drums are often available for free or cheap from industrial companies.  We have hundreds where I work (if only I lived closer).

Glad to hear your property survived in reasonable shape.  You are indeed fortunate.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Some good suggestions, but long term Phil is probably correct that a 2500 gallon tank would be necessary. I have some friends in construction industry that could get me a truck with a thousand gallons of water for a reasonable price delivered. If I get a 2500 gallon tank and fill it I will have enough water to get me through a couple of weeks watering. I could always use the tank later and fill it with rain water so it would be a good investment.  In the meantime, some 50 gallon drums in the back of my pickup will get some of my prime specimens a much needed drink.

Thanks everone for the ideas,

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Gary,

One more thing to consider if adding a storage tank is to add a fitting for a standard fire hose hookup.  Hopefully you will never again have to worry about such things, but well worth considering.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Dear Gary  :)

don't your propery have bore wells,if you have borewell then just hire a 3 or 5 kva generator to power your electric pump-set and start with the garden watering schedule ? until regular water & power supply is restored.

love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I'm up for one of those drums if you have a spare Matty.  :D

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Gary--

Glad to hear you're fairing better than many!

Do you have a generator? Might be tough to come by right now over there. A friend who works at Tropic World just bought one (5000 watt, from Home Despot) the day she evacuated. She has electricity at her place (off San Pasqual) and made it through relatively unscathed. She may be willing to sell it since she doesn't need it (right now anyway). Alternatively, there's a glut of them here in FL, with the hurricane season almost over. I could get you prices locally; don't know if shipping would be prohibitive though. PM me if you're interested.

Best of luck!

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Gary,

I don't exactly know your terrane, but perhaps a tank could be filled in a higher location.  If you have enough height, gravity may be enough for a slow watering.  This would bypass the need for a pump.  

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

I believe I suggested something like this to him and or Matty.  A catchment tank at the bottom of the property with a tiny pump (someday) with the pump sending water to a large tank at the top which would then feed water via gravity.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill, I only had those 2 drums I was gonna let Gary use so sorry  no extras.  I plan on using them for rain gutter catchment to water greenhouse plants someday.  No rain this year so I guess I don't need them.  Gary can use them as long as he needs.  Way to pull together guys and support Gary.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(Gtlevine @ Oct. 24 2007,12:50)

First I want to thank everyone for the support.

I made it to my house and as Bill said, I was shocked to see it was still standing. The 10 mile corridor where I am located looks like Hiroshima, every other house is gone and every power line is burned down to the ground for the entire length. It was the strangest experience I ever had to drive through this area and see so many of my friends and neighbors homes gone.

For me, I was one of the lucky ones, the fire blew through my property and missed my home and most of my palms. I lost 25% of my collection, but my rarest palms survived. Most of my tropical trees burned or blew down. I was real surprised to see most of my palms in my greenhouse still alive even though it was closed and the heat went to 130F in the structure.

I just got an estimate of one month before water or electricity is restored. My big challenge now is how to keep the remaining palms alive until water is restored. I guess I will have to load buckets of water in my truck and water palms individually. It will be a rough month or more, but compared to what my friends and others are going through I will just be grateful.

Best wishes for everyone else in need, this turned out to be the worst disaster in San Diego history.

Gary

Glad to hear you are fine Gary and my prayers go out to your neighbors. Horrible.

Do you have an update on Jerry Hunter's place? In fact, do you know if there were any issues at Rancho Soledad?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I think that having a catchment system in San Diego is not worth the investment.  We just don't get enough rain and have to irrigate way too much.  On a lot the size of Gary's with a modest sized house, you might collect enough water from a whole year of rain to water the whole garden a couple times.  

So in my view looking at the water tank as an investment is not really worth the money.  The cheapest water storage option is an above ground pool.  You can get one that will hold several 1000 gallons for a few hundred bucks.  

Maybe a few of us could go up to Gary's and help him dig out a level area to put a pool/tank on some high part of the property.  Gary has enough elevation drop to do pretty effective gravity based flow I think.  Then there's the just the issue of getting it filled with water.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

I'm in if you need any help digging a flat spot for a pool up top.  Several guys w/ pics, digging bars and shovels could probably get quite a bit of dirt moved without having to bring in a backhoe or bobcat.  Let us know Gary, we're here to help.  Bo has a big above ground tank.  It's basically a giant above ground pool.  He covers it with 2 layers of shade cloth and no algae grows in it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Actually we have two of them. One (9,700 gallon capacity) that services the house (since we don't have city or municipal water here), and then we had a second one installed for the nursery. That catchment tank holds 15,000 gallons, and it cost us about $5,000 to have it installed. We rely on rainwater to get them filled. Which is NOT a problem!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(MattyB @ Oct. 24 2007,13:28)

I just spoke w/ Gary and when he gets some time he's gonna come pick up a couple of 55 gallon plastic drums from me to try and rig them up for watering.  If anyone has a better idea or any gizmos for rigging up valves into the plastic drums he could use them.

Gary, if you have a full size pick-up, you could use an old waterbed to haul water to your plants.  Here are some cheap/free ones  in the San Diego area -

waterbeds.

Spoke with Gary today and he has been taking time off work to get his water "back up" to his palms. He may have all on some sort of irrigation by Saturday.

I managed to get Gary and Jerry some temporary power at their places so they are there most of the time.  :D