IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FANTASTIC NEWS

BS Man about Palms

Gary just called me and was leaving his house.

ITS STILL THERE!!!!  :):D

He's shocked its still there as it was raining golf ball sized red embers on him when he last left.  

Both the main house and the guest house are still there. Even the green house survived!  Although he thinks he may have lost some of his palms, the very large portion of his neat stuff looks like it will be fine eventually.  Most all of the Avocado trees are burnt down.  Some big CIDP's took a hard hit.   It was great to hear the joy in his voice.

The inside of his house is black.     No power or water at this point.

He noted 60% of the houses on his road are gone.

Jerry Hunter, a neighbor and Rancho Soledad owner, still has his main house standing. His guest house is down and corral is down, sadly with some Arabians he had also. :( :( :( :(

Gary wanted to mention he really appreciates all the support he knows hes getting and will respond when he gets a chance.  In the mean time,  He'd like me to field any questions, etc. you may have for him, he's with a 20 person or so group where they are staying.

YAY!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

What a relief! Maybe all that watering was influential to an extent. So sorry to hear about his neighbor's corral though.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

FANTASTIC!!!  

Black inside the house sounds kind of bleak, but much better than what was previously feared.  Such good news, thanks for posting this, Bill.  Best wishes to Gary and family.

Sad for the neighbor and his arabians, that's a shame. :(

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Well, it could still be totalled depending on how bad the damage is.

Still, there's hope.

At least Gary and his family are okay.

They can rebuild if they have to.

Now, they have the ultimate fire insurance no fuel nearby.  They're literally pre-diastered for fire for a long while, until (unless) the trees grow back or brush is allowed to grow in.

Glad to hear most of the palms made it!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Awesome!!

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

(Gonzer @ Oct. 23 2007,14:13)

Good things happen to people with good kharma. Gary's got some damn fine mojo.

Yeah, buddy!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It is ironic but I had a feeling he would luck out . In the thread he opened yesterday, I posted this:

"Also, things work in funny ways. You might be surprised that your house and plants are all OK. I think you will find out tomorrow."

This is great news.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

The news footage looks so terrible, I am glad that one person I am even marginally acquainted with has had some really fantastic luck!

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Gary,

I'm thrilled to hear that your two houses are still intact. What a relief! Saddens me, though, to hear that Jerry Hunter lost his horses.

My best wishes to you and your wife and if you remember, give my best regards to Jerry when you see him, and tell him I'm sorry for his loss. Hopefully, I'll see him next time he's over here.

Aloha!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thank God!  We're very happy for you Gary.  Yipeeeeee!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

thats wonderful news !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Dear Bill  :)

Thanks for the good news and its always regunavating to start the day with good news its like consuming 2 cans of red

bulls..

lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Best wishes to Gary....but I can't stop thinking about those poor animals trapped in the barns, kennels, and corrals. They depend upon us for their lives....but I am certain that there was nothing that could be done. Poor animals.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Great news, Gary.  As a horse owner (with 1 Arabian) I feel the loss and pain.  I've always said if I ever thought I needed to evacuate due to a hurricane I would have to leave early.  But with these fires you don't have that luxury.  You only have hours at the most.  So very sad - such a horrible way to die.  As bad as they are, I'll take hurricanes any day. :(

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

From what I understand, They had no evacuation notice and when they went to sleep the fire was at least 15 miles away. Awoke at 3 AM to burning embers.

Glad everyones OK!!!! Hang in!!!  Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Dear Bs man and friends

In Spain, we are pained and sorry what is happening in California. I wish you all a speedy recovery.

Best. Toni

Murcia (Spain) C.E.

9B zone

It's great to hear that Gary's house is fine. At the same time, it's also very sad to know that people right around him were not so lucky.

I wonder how you you clean up "black". Is that smoke damage or soot? Probably both, I guess. I would assume that homeowners insurance would take care of that.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

palmmermaid · Posted on Oct. 24 2007,08:46

Great news, Gary.  As a horse owner (with 1 Arabian) I feel the loss and pain.  I've always said if I ever thought I needed to evacuate due to a hurricane I would have to leave early.  But with these fires you don't have that luxury.  You only have hours at the most.  So very sad - such a horrible way to die.  As bad as they are, I'll take hurricanes any day. :(

I agree with Kitty, I would take any hurricane over an inferno like that.

Ryan

South Florida

Smoke damage (and presumably broken windows) will be a mess.  Fortunately, there's lots of info on how to do it and San Diegans have lots of experience.  To judge from these two sites, cleanup is no fun.

http://disaster.ifas.ufl.edu/PDFS/CHAP13/D13-17.PDF

http://chicora.org/fire.htm--for how to deal with damaged historic buildings.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

(palmmermaid @ Oct. 24 2007,08:46)

So far, there have been 3 people killed as a direct result of the fires. That is an astonishlingly low number. There were more than 20 with the fires in '03. As far as hurricanes go, a large storm will cause much more damage than any fire any day of the week. Will also result in many more deaths, I think.

Neither are good.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

One good thing about a fire, is that there isn't the mountain of trash afterward to clean up after, like a big storm.

Of course, that too is a very very mixed blessing indeed . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.