IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Thanks to everyone

Gtlevine

Many people have called and left messages on my cell phone regarding the fire and my well being. I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. My family is now safe at my sisters house in Oceanside but I won't know for several days what the final damage will be. At 3AM my neighbors winery blew up and within 5 minutes the whole mountain was on fire. The fire raced down so fast I barely got my family out. I went back for my mom who was in my guest house and by the time we made it to the street the flames surrounded the property. I drove down my hill right through the fire crossing the road, several cars did not make it because the tires popped from the heat. As Bill said, my guest house has a good chance of surviving the blaze but my main house is most likely burned to the ground. I had the water on my garden all night but I imagine most of my palms will be killed from the heat. I will call everyone back when I can, but the good news is we all somehow survived the most devastating fire I have ever seen. I wish everyone else well in San Diego who is also threatened by this fire, it is spreading all over the county and there is no end in sight.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Gary, you have many friends and you can count on all of us I'm sure.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'm glad you and your family are ok.  You'll live many years to replant palms.  That's ok.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Those of us living in cold grey damp climates tend to look upon residents of places like San Diego with envy , but this emphasises that nowhere is perfect and even paradise has its pitfalls. Everybody here is watching the news with horror and it brings it home when somebody whose posts you have read for years suffers such a terrible loss of home and property.

I hope when you return, things are salvageable and that your home has somehow been spared.

The most important thing is that your family is safe.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Gary I'm grateful you and yours are ok. Sounds like a terrible experience.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Gary,

I'm happy to hear that you and your family are OK, and I hope that, by some miracle, your house has been spared!

Best wishes!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Gary - that's horrible.  I hope your house and garden made it through.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

the important thing is that you & your family are safe.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I really don't have any words to tell you how terrible I feel for you, Gary. I am glad that you and your family are safe and out of reach of the flames. Perhaps by some chance your home will be spared. I hope so.

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Thank you for taking the time in an incredibly stressful situation to post here.  It's good to know you and your family are safe.  All the rest is just "stuff".  (Okay, really great palms and just "stuff".)  My heart goes out to you and your family, this has to be emotionally draining.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Gary, I wish you nothing but the best and I have high hopes for your house and garden.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Gary,

Thank goodness you and your family are all safe. I am sorry to hear that your house and garden are probably destroyed though. Such terrible news.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Gary,

I'm very sorry to hear that but the main thing is that you and your family are safe. I'll keep you all in my prayers. Keep us posted.

Mike F

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Hi

I'm in Oz but I just got a call from Suzi and she said they could see the flames and were now leaving.

Irv Mcdaniel was in a real hot spot and probably lost his hose and cycad collection.  The Rice canyon fire is now in Live Oak Park heading straight towards Fallbrook which is under Mandatory evacuation.

I think (and hope) our place will survive as we have the golf course next door.

Good luck to everyone.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Gary-

While we have talked, and since I have been to your place many times and with your fire report and the latest I have seen, I agree with you that your main house is probably gone.

I would have no way to know what you are going thru, at this point I would say, count not what you lost, but what you have, and have saved.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Gary:

I'm heartbroken to hear of the fire, but thrilled to hear you and your family survived.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Gary, I figured you were busy with other issues then to take calls. I sent you a text message but did not know if you get them. It sounds like Bill is in contact so I will talk to him over the next few days to see how things are going and what you need for help. I am sure you will need help cleaning up at the least.

Also, things work in funny ways. You might be surprised that your house and plants are all OK. I think you will find out tomorrow..

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

(Justin @ Oct. 22 2007,22:32)

Thoughts and prayers, Gary...

Justin

How are YOU?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Gary, So sorry to here about your loss. I was thinking about you as I watched the news last night and they said it had reached valley center. I am so very glad to here that you and your family made it out safely. We wish you and your family,home and garden nothing but the best!

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Gary,

I'm really sorry to hear about this bad news. Thank God you and your family got out in time. I can't even begin to wonder how it must be. I wish you and the family all the best.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Gary - It's wonderful to hear you and your family are safe. You have so many here who care and are concerned for your well being.

Your safety is truly something to be grateful for, and all of us are thankful. I'm sure this Thanksgiving will be especially meaningful.

Scott

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

It nearly broke my heart when Peter showed me the unfolding story in this morning's posts; I'm truly glad you and your family are safe. I don't know any prayers from beginning to end, but in this instance I'll improvise.

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Gary,

Thanks for posting, I'm sure it's not high on your priority list but it helps us all to know that you and your family are safe.  I was initially pretty sick thinking your home and garden might be burned.  But reading your account of last night I have to say that I'm just happy you all made it out alive.  I hope that more has survived on your property than you think.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Gary, This is terrible news, and sorry to hear that you have to go thru this.  Like others have stated, the most important thing is that you and your family are out of harms way and hopefully your property will likewise be spared.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Dear Gary,

Iam very sorry to hear about the entire trama that you and your family went through.but we are happy about the fact that you & your family are safe and sound..since first priopity will always be the safety of human life.

And a person like you can rebuilt your garden in decades time but pray that some do survive..and if it is raining there daily the chances are more likely..

love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Best wishes to all in danger and some aussie moral support to those who have lost something or someone. Keep your chin up folks.

You know this Beach Boys song ?

Fire wind oh desert wind

She was born in a desert breeze

And wind her way

Through canyon way

From the desert to the silvery sea

Santa ana winds keep blowin across my eyes

I am the wind

Oh desert wind

On my pilgrimage to the sea

I will prevail

I will not fail

To bring life into humanity

Santa ana winds keep blowin across my eyes

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

That's terrible news. At least you all have each other, but it would be devastating to lose your collection and home. I hope it is not as bad as you think..sometimes miracles do happen. We get a lot of bushfires every year here, and it never ceases to amaze me how fire can be so selective in it's destruction.

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I actually responded yesterday but have got lost in cyber-space it seems.

I agree with everone; palms and property can be replaced but not folks.

God bless and keep all.

Regardez

Juan

Juan

Gary,

Thankful to hear you and yours are all OK.  As everyone says, everything else is just stuff and can be replaced.  Thanks for taking the time to post.

Kitty

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Gary--

Glad to hear you and your family are OK. Hope you hear some good news on your place.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I feel deeply sorry for the terrible news from our friends in SoCal.

It's good to hear that your family is ok and we wish the extent of the damage is much less than predictable.

Best regards.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Gary--

Kirsten Llamas sends her regards to you and your family as well.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Despite the fire there should be some Palms and Cycads that can survive.  Battered a bit but should bounce back.

You don't normally get emotionally involved with the news when you hear it on tv but I actually felt weak in the kness reading these post.   I am glad to hear that your family and your mom are safe and sound and that is whats important.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Gary,

We in northern Calif. are so relieved that you and your faimly made it out, and it sounds like just in the nick of time. It must have been terrifying. Each time I see a news report on TV it looks worse and worse, and now their evacuating parts of San Diego proper. Our hearts go out to you guys in S. Calif.

This reminds me of the Oakland fire storm. We had the big freeze in 1990, then followed by the fire in 1991, a double blow.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Sending good karma your way Gary

So sorry for your homestead but elated that you got out everything that means most in your world.

Bren

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

God bless you and your family, Gary, as well as everyone else in harm's way.  Please let us know what we can do to help.

Jason

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.