IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fire at Gary L's

Carlo Morici

I went up to Gary's place today to help him get ready to occupy his guest house until his main house is ready for people.  (Good thing he just finished his guest/moms house last week!)

I have to say the most striking thing is how blessed and lucky Gary and his family are!!   As I drove to Garys place, I passed acres of what was dense riverbed growth, now just tree limbs.  I finally could see the topography of the valley below his house.   I went further up the hill and started seeing homes just burned to the ground.  There were a fair amount of trees and now that has been greatly reduced.  

It's amazing that there was little rhyme or reason to where the fire went, some pockets looked untouched with green trees around and other places looked like a moonscape with black branches.

Here is how close Garys Avocados are to his house. Note the corner of the eave of his house just out from his front entry.

garysfire002.jpg

If you look close you can see the collapsed crowns of some kings next to the house.

garysfire001.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here is an overview of his place from the Avocados looking down.

garysfire004.jpg

Those used to look pretty lush.....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Up further around the bend you can see a Livistona Decipiens looking toasted while one of his Big Curlys looks happy as can be!  (hooray!)

garysfire006.jpg

These pictures will make Kris sad.....  But I think this CIDP will pull thru.

garysfire007.jpg

The Crown and Fronds did see some trauma.

garysfire008.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here is some exotic tree I don't remember the name of with a hurt on.

garysfire009.jpg

Another different tropical tree.  He thinks it will come back.

garysfire011.jpg

Some of the plants that didn't burn had the crap beat out of them by the wind!  :angry:

WoW  :o recoverable though  :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

A smaller Chamby Hooker looking a bit ragged.

garysfire010.jpg

(happ @ Oct. 27 2007,19:39)

WoW  :o recoverable though  :D

Happ, I didn't take too many shots of the "goners". Thankfully, they were few.

The view of a neighbors place up the hill.   Notice the greenhouse with basically no damage.  :D  

garysfire019.jpg

For those of you that have been there, or seen Garys previous posts, I'm standing near his Jubeopsis caffra which was pretty much unscathed.

While you can see the house on the hill is gone, you will see what I mean about "green areas" in a few pics.

Here is a Rhopastylis that looks like that crownshaft "boiled".

garysfire012.jpg

Another "full" view of the same.

garysfire013.jpg

I like this picture. It shows a man not defeated, but determined.

garysfire015.jpg

Like a Phoenix rising from the ashes, one of his Dypsis Lepto's has opened a frond since the fire went thru.

• Upvote 1

As you may have noticed the "green" background on the previous pic, this shows the swath the fire choose, yet skipped the grove to the right.  (just down the hill and slightly north of the burned house on the hill.)

garysfire018.jpg

And by the way, Garys place was clear in this area prior to the fire coming thru.  ???

A little better view of the "Phoenix".

garysfire017.jpg

While in the background, Gary is concerned over his Lepto that was just starting to trunk.  :(

garysfire016.jpg

Sorry, thats all the pictures I took.  We went to work after that.   Gary has ALOT of irrigation work to do, it burned through a lot of his pipes.

He had to leave early, so I drove off to some other areas destroyed by the fire.  Its kinda weird, I didn't feel like taking any pictures unless I had permission.   I didn't feel like asking either. It was was pretty bad further east of Gary, I know a couple died on their property less than 1/2 mile away.

I also went down the hill and went through "The Trails".  Its a place that overlooks the valley well below Garys house and to the south.  I have worked in there many times at several homes over the years.  I saw the remains of some houses I had worked at previously. :(  It looked like a giant Firestorm "stripe" as it would go up hills and down valleys, laying waste to many, yet leaving many more unharmed.

I may add pics later, or if Gary can find access to a computer and power, he may chime in.

Bill - What a sight! These pictures do not show defeat but victory. It does look like he made out very good! I'm very glad.

Thanks for posting those great pics! And wishing much success to Gary!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Wow,

It's hard from the photos to really picture what went on up there.  That big curly looks perfect, but then other palms farther from the fire look like they "cooked" without actually catching on fire.  Even the avocados look like they only partially burned (I'd assume they'll grow back just fine from how they look).  I guess those kings were higher up so maybe the heat and wind combined just was too much.  Looks like the wind damage is maybe as bad or worse than the fire damage.  I know Gary gets pretty bad Santa Anas, but these must have been the worst ever.  Gary is a lucky man, well I think not all luck since he planted many widely spaced trees, kept things irrigated and had absolutely no weeds or brush growing.

How close were you guys to getting water running again?

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

(BS @ Man about Palms,Oct. 28 2007,02:29)

Up further around the bend you can see a Livistona Decipiens looking toasted while one of his Big Curlys looks happy as can be!  (hooray!)

garysfire006.jpg

This picture is impressive! So, it was hot enough to burn avocado leaves and to set fire on Livistona fibers, but not enough to bother the Dypsis ?!?!

I hope for the best, palms will stand fire better than most people expect. The Phoenix pictured above will surely recover. Please show more images.

Carlo

When I spoke with Gary last Friday or Sat, he was busy enough he had not known a Santa Ana was on its way, so when I told him, he said he was really gonna double up his watering on his stuff, "babies" in particular I'm sure.  I think that helped a lot.

He now has water to the house and so he is running water house to "junction points" he has or can make in his irrigation lines that still work.    He said since the Avocado won't do much at this point except need water, he will probably top them and the watering need drops drasticly.  Most of the irrigation for the Avocado grove is gone/useless, so that will help.

I would say at this point about a third to 40% can be "watered/irrigated" as such.  The rest needs hand watering at this point.

Wow!

The house looks almost untouched.

A couple of kings got cooked, but all in all the palms pulled through very well.

I think that Phoenix will survive.  I've seen some really incinerated coming back.

SO GLAD to hear he's at least got water up there.  The pipes will be work, but it's a blessing that he has something to put in them.  That alone will make a huge difference.  

It's always better to be lucky than good, but it's especially nice to see a good guy get lucky!

I've seen so many sad pictures where the people weren't so lucky.

If my memory serves, Gary had almost no brush on much of his place, which surely made a HUGE difference.  Looks like he also had a fireproof roof, which I need to get as well.

I think the avocado trees will recover.  They aren't nearly as badly damaged as I thought they would be.  I had the willies remembering how close they were to his house, and getting mega-willies and the thought of it getting so hot that the fruit would burn and turn into oil bombs.

Keep us posted!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

It really looks like the damage he suffered was from "heat" and not "flame". If you look at the Livistona Decipiens, it seems the heat fried the dried fibers. If it were flame ripping through, I could not imagine anything making it, let alone the Dypsis right next to it. I bet almost all his plants survive. He was very lucky. His neighbor looks like he had the flames shoot right through.

Thanks for the pics Bill.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Bill,

Thanks a lot for the pictures! Quite incredible that just about everything survived, and I'm sure, will recover.

And Gary,

I was really concerned when I heard how you had to leave, and to find out that your house and property escaped relatively unscathed is great news! I'm sure things will be back to normal in no time!

Best wishes!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bill--

Thanks for those pics. Glad to see the house is intact and that there will definitely be lots of survivors there!

I know you guys are in a drought there, but I'm sure all in the burn areas will settle for at least one more year of light rainfall to minimize erosion.

Best of luck Gary!

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Gary,

I can feel some of the pain,after experiencing huricanes over the years. I'm glad to see your place is in pretty good shape considering how bad it could of been. Stay tough, and keep your chin up, it DOES get better.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I echo everyone's sentiments. Things can always be worse.

BTW, I think that tropical tree that Bill pointed out looks to be some kind of ficus.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

(BS, Man about Palms @ Oct. 27 2007,22:39)

Another different tropical tree.  He thinks it will come back.

garysfire011.jpg

Some of the plants that didn't burn had the crap beat out of them by the wind!  :angry:

OMG... I that looks the Lord Howe Island banyan ...Ficus columnaris... that I traded with Gary for a Parajubaea Cocoides ...a couple years back.

It looks like it will recover.

Sad to see so much damage at Gary's place.... That frigging fire has caused soooo much damage.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

(Jeff Searle @ Oct. 28 2007,19:52)

Gary,

I can feel some of the pain,after experiencing huricanes over the years. I'm glad to see your place is in pretty good shape considering how bad it could of been. Stay tough, and keep your chin up, it DOES get better.

Jeff

Yes Jeff, I remember quite well seeing your place one week after that nasty hurricane, that was quite bad. No matter where we live there will be some kind of disaster that can happen. The scary thing in California for a palm collector is that if we lose them it takes five times as long to regrow than it does in Florida or Hawaii, so it is quite depressing losing any palms. Thank god most of mine survived.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

(bgl @ Oct. 28 2007,14:10)

Bill,

Thanks a lot for the pictures! Quite incredible that just about everything survived, and I'm sure, will recover.

And Gary,

I was really concerned when I heard how you had to leave, and to find out that your house and property escaped relatively unscathed is great news! I'm sure things will be back to normal in no time!

Best wishes!

Bo-Göran

Thanks Bo.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Sorry to here about this Gary.  Any positive out of this is the natural weeding of your land.  BTW, I don't remember seeing much weeds on your land from previous pictures.  The picture with the razed washies looks like an encloser at the Wild Animal Park.  How many acres do you have?

It is certainly sad to see the damage to this hard work.However, it is greatly encouraging to see the determination in the people's faces and I know only good things will ultimately come!

What you look for is what is looking

• 2 years later...

So, Gary, what's the word?

Maybe some "after" pictures?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Nice bump, maybe I'll get some more pix overall next time I'm out there.

Gary, I really wish you the best. It looks like many will recover but I can only imagine the amount of work putting things back together again. I know the feeling personally as Jeff mentioned above having gone through 3 'canes in 1yr. Amazingly, nature goes into overdrive when this kind of stuff happens and a frond that normally takes 3mos to push out, comes out in 1/2 the time. Plants are masters of survival. Hang in there!

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Dave you are the king of BUMP ! nearly 3 yrs :rolleyes:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

So, Gary, what's the word?

Maybe some "after" pictures?

Yes,very curious how the palms are doing more concerned about that CIDP ? :hmm:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

wEE NEED DA BUMP!