IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ok....What's Eating my Drip Lines

epicure3

What kind of animal likes to chew on drip lines......this keeps happening to me. A few times a year, I go up and check all my lines only to see that some of them have been knawed through. What kind of moron animal would do that? Any one know? :angry:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

My vote would be for ground squirrels. They devastated the drip system at my folks place in Nellie Gail Ranch, Laguna Hills. After years of shooting and poisoning the squirrels, most of the trees finally wound up on rainfall alone.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Well, the good news is that water still comes out the lines and they appear to be chewed right near where the sprayer would be. Still, that's pretty darn dumb.

Funny thing is that I never see any animals at all up there. They must work at night.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

John,

I don't know about 'dumb'. They probably just want to get to that water. Sounds pretty smart to me, even though you may not like it!

Reminds me of a situation many years ago, when we owned a vacant piece of land inland from Rancho Santa Fe. We had water installed, and I planted a bunch of palms and installed above-ground drip lines. At one point we were gone for almost two weeks (trip to Europe), and when I came back some animal had chewed up some of the drip lines, and the water was just streaming down the hillside, and had obviously been doing so for a while. We received a $500 water bill....

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Coyotes do.  I live close to a wild life preserve in Riverside and have had them chew through the lines a few times and also knock over fruit trees and eat the fruit.  I had to put up a rabbit fence to keep the rabbits from eating my plants, palm seedlings included.  The rabbit fence seems to also deter the lazy coyotes from slipping though my wrought iron fence.  Since then havent had problems.

Darren

Darren from Riverside, CA.

With fast draining sandy soil.

how 'bout:

any local wildlife that's thirsty.

time to put up the chicken wire John...and don't feel like the lone ranger, I have to do it soon myself  :D

Rats.  I used to leave my lawn tractor in the barn aisle.  One day it wouldn't start so I called a repair man.  He found the starter wires chewed up.  Evidently rats like rubber and silicon.  So now I keep my tractor indoors.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

I have had coyotes chewing thru my drip lines. With the low rainfall this year, they are thirsty as can be. I it is amazing that they can smell or sense that there is water in the lines. I fixed it by spraying wasp spray (only thing I could find in my garage at the time) on the lines and have not had a chewed line in months.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

They are going for water,mostly coyotes but other species as well.We put out buckets of water (about two per acre)That really helps until spring when the young coyotes are teething and start chewing the lines regardless of available water elsewhere.

George

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

(freakypalmguy @ Oct. 29 2007,09:07)

I have had coyotes chewing thru my drip lines. With the low rainfall this year, they are thirsty as can be. I it is amazing that they can smell or sense that there is water in the lines. I fixed it by spraying wasp spray (only thing I could find in my garage at the time) on the lines and have not had a chewed line in months.

I did the same thing yesterday, except with some ant spray. Quite by accident, though. The drip lines are the autobahn for ants at my place so I spray them when I see that their crusing along the lines.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

(palmmermaid @ Oct. 29 2007,07:55)

Rats.  I used to leave my lawn tractor in the barn aisle.  One day it wouldn't start so I called a repair man.  He found the starter wires chewed up.  Evidently rats like rubber and silicon.  So now I keep my tractor indoors.

That's another possible culprit for sure.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

(bgl @ Oct. 28 2007,22:57)

John,

I don't know about 'dumb'. They probably just want to get to that water. Sounds pretty smart to me, even though you may not like it!

Reminds me of a situation many years ago, when we owned a vacant piece of land inland from Rancho Santa Fe. We had water installed, and I planted a bunch of palms and installed above-ground drip lines. At one point we were gone for almost two weeks (trip to Europe), and when I came back some animal had chewed up some of the drip lines, and the water was just streaming down the hillside, and had obviously been doing so for a while. We received a $500 water bill....

Bo-Göran

Well, when I say "dumb" that comes from a human mind not knowing what an animal thinks mixed with some frustration.  :;):

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Here in Florida I would guess rats and/or squirrels.  They both chew all manner of frangible materials as if compelled by some powerful unholy demon.  

A squirrel once put an acorn in my water softener timing doodad and caused the mechanism to seize and strip the teeth from the gears.  Bastards.  So chewing drip line irrigation tubing seems a likely way to pass time for some tiny little butt-hole rodent(s).

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

John, I'd say at your place it's rats.   You probably don't see many rabbits around your neighborhood except maybe in the canyons.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I once asked Steve in SoCal if he had any problems with critters chewing his poly tubing looking for water (he didn't).  I was surprised as Fallbrook is much dryer than Epicure's amply irrigated neighborhood.

(MattyB @ Oct. 29 2007,11:37)

John, I'd say at your place it's rats.   You probably don't see many rabbits around your neighborhood except maybe in the canyons.

I think you're probably right, Matt. I don't see any other evidence of another critter. I doubt it's a squirrel as I have never seen one anywhere near me in the 6 years I've lived in the 'hood. Probably not a zebra either but I'm not totally counting that out. :D

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter